So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

8800GT hypeometer reached 100% everywhere 2 days ago already, time is here to do something what tell the customers to "wait for your cards", silence=admit of defeat what tell the customers just buy a 8800gt.

As far as I can tell, one who want to buy the 8800GT at launch will buy it anyway... but one who like to wait, they will wait anyway too....

It's just 2 weeks different not something like unforeseen future as the time of releasing HD 2900 cards.

So that why AMD PR need to panic. Also, if the rumour about OEM market share is gaining for the AMD GPU side, it will be another reason they may not panic too.

Assuming that RV670 is competitive with G92, all AMD PR need to do is make sure that some of the main review sites who are readying their G92 articles have RV670s at hand to bench as a spoiler.

Whether or not they have got their arses into gear to arrange this is a different matter.

As far as I can tell, one who want to buy the 8800GT at launch will buy it anyway... but one who like to wait, they will wait anyway too....
This is not true, many customers not even know what is rv670 because noone talking about it, no sites writing anything about it, simple retail card/box picture can help generate enough hype for days.

It's just 2 weeks different not something like unforeseen future as the time of releasing HD 2900 cards.

2 weeks in this timeframe (close to xmas) its very long and important, i'm sure between oct29 and november15 we see multiple Crysis demo performence reviews where 8800gt already exist and AMD exist only with they 2k series cards.

Surely they need to panic, two weeks = many sales lost to the competition.

As long as AMD PR get off their backsides and make sure everyone knows RV670 is just a couple of weeks away, most people will wait to that long to see if it's better. Assuming the R600 delay/debacle hasn't made them swear off ATI forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not true, many customers not even know what is rv670 because noone talking about it, no sites writing anything about it, simple retail card/box picture can help generate enough hype for days.

2 weeks in this timeframe (close to xmas) its very long and important, i'm sure between oct29 and november15 we see multiple Crysis demo performence reviews where 8800gt already exist and AMD exist only with they 2k series cards.

By your logic, if I will be the one to buy Crysis game... I would wait to see the real bench on the real game more than the demo benching ;)

And if I am general buyer, normally, I don't think they will just go out and pay $250 for video card without doing any reading benchmark results. By the time they read it, they may find out that the reviewer would mention about the just 2 weeks AMD/ATi parts coming in the 8800GT articles publiced the way Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. suggested. That is why people will know about RV670 or HD 3xxx cards coming then.

In reality, I always see that one who want to buy NV at launch always buy it anyway, at all cost of premiere. Also, if one who want this level of card, I think at least they read the INQ and VR-Zone too.

This time, it seems NV playing trick by "naming product" than "actual preformance gain". If they release these parts as a new name (higher expectation too) with not so much different than the G80 in both performance and features... I don't think it will look any good according to their history.

Cross my finger through...

Assuming that RV670 is competitive with G92, all AMD PR need to do is make sure that some of the main review sites who are readying their G92 articles have RV670s at hand to bench as a spoiler.

Whether or not they have got their arses into gear to arrange this is a different matter.
True. 2 weeks headstart is no where close to the 6-8 months Nvidia has enjoyed in the past, hardly a cause for "panic". :LOL:

Remember, even if HD3870 v 8800GT is like 2600XT v 8600GTS then it would be a good win for them. Smaller die and also they will be trumpeting DX10.1 all the way ..

Also, if the rumour about OEM market share is gaining for the AMD GPU side, it will be another reason they may not panic too.

I've heard something very interesting about a certain design win with a major OEM where RV670 beat G92 in a direct competition. ;)

And if I am general buyer, normally, I don't think they will just go out and pay $250 for video card without doing any reading benchmark results. By the time they read it, they may find out that the reviewer would mention about the just 2 weeks AMD/ATi parts coming in the 8800GT articles publiced the way Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. suggested. That is why people will know about RV670 or HD 3xxx cards coming then.
Sure, but knowing other cards are coming is like knowing the sun will rise again tomorrow. When the general buyer looks at benchmarks it is because he wants a faster card today, and unless the 8800GT has some unforeseen issues then it will be offering that, and at a very reasonable price. Unless the RV670 shows some actual promise of something notably better, then is no incentive to wait for what may or may not suit one's needs as well as what is already available.

Sure, but knowing other cards are coming is like knowing the sun will rise again tomorrow. When the general buyer looks at benchmarks it is because he wants a faster card today, and unless the 8800GT has some unforeseen issues then it will be offering that, and at a very reasonable price. Unless the RV670 shows some actual promise of something notably better, then is no incentive to wait for what may or may not suit one's needs as well as what is already available.

DX_10.1 is more than suficient to make lot of people not only wait, but also buy the card just because the suport for the latest features.

That was why I said that one will buy 8800GT will buy it anyway ;)

One thing that may hold-off is the Crysis launch if someone may want to see it. Anyway, I feel something opposite as if there are plenty of 8800GT available on the market, it might indicate that they don't really need to stock for the OEM market too.

Let wait and see then, it is just Monday to see the new 8800GT :devilish:

I've heard something very interesting about a certain design win with a major OEM where RV670 beat G92 in a direct competition. ;)

I keep reading lots of rumours that AMD is cleaning up in the OEMs this season with RV670. Must be profitable for AMD as 55 nm seems to be working very well and giving good yeilds, hence the early release.

Finally, being a process node ahead works for ATI - had to happen sooner or later.

Hi CJ, do you have any 'hints' on the coming crossfire?

It would be very interesting if you could spill some bean (like you did on the three ways SLi) here according to the leaked GB slide and the youtube video :devilish:

Most people plan their upgrades. They will have a window where they can decide what to purchase. For instance, I'm sure there's a lot of people waiting on Penryn to decide on an upgrade or not.

Someone who is going to upgrade real soon and keep that card for a couple of years will easily wait a couple of weeks to see if RV670 is better than G92, and maximise their spending power. This is especially true during the first few weeks where prices are high and stock is in short supply.

The sort of bonkers person who can't wait two weeks will buy G92, then sell it on at a loss a few weeks later to buy a RV670 if they want it. Mind you, they are the sort of person who is probably upgrading some expensive component or other every month. That's not about getting the best product, that's just about collecting components.

IMHO why should anyone expect that AMD will have faster middle card? Better price/performance is possible altho not very likely, cheaper with close performance definetely is possible, but faster ?
They are unable to beat 1y old G80. And anyone who wants to pay 250$ for gaming card will give 20-30 more and get the faster one. No reason to think AMD will be faster.
If they are - its time to start jumping up and down and screaming loudly about that.
What? No AMD PRs jumping&screaming? Case closed, whatever OEM deals they'll get it'll be cause of better/lower price + useful features like UVD+ useless "features" like 10.1 , game enthusiasts will go for NV, again.

Back