Your Favorite Bands/Music Artist

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
As in my constant search for new music, I was curious to some of the favorite bands/artist of the peole who visit this forum. I'm also interested in a band that you think is really interesting, but may not be one of your favorites.

Some of my favorites include:

Opeth
Mr. Bungle
Dark Tranquility
Bjork
Tori Amos
Isis
Mushroomhead

I'm in to a wide variety of music really. I dont get a whole ton of chance to explore new music though. Those I listed are in no certain order

Grateful Dead
John Prine
Bach
The Kinks
Violent Fems
Bare Naked Ladies
Butt Hole Surfers
Smashmouth

Just off the top of my head from what is on my mp3 player.

Rammstein
The Mars Volta
Disturbed
The Crystal Method
Vibrasphere
Coldplay
Modest Mouse
POD
Radiohead
Sasha
Static-X
System of a Down
Bad Loop
Bob Marley
The Beatles
Bloodhound Gang
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beethoven
Mozart
The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Just to name a few. Yes, I also like lot's of different music.

Guden Oden said:
J.M. Jarre
Kraftwerk
Sigur Rós
...Etc. Ye gods, there's so much good music out there.

My wife is a huge fan of Sigur Rós, I think a lot of their music is very beautiful, though it sadly puts me to sleep. :( I wish I could get into it in a wider variety of moods.

In addition to a few mentioned above,

Mogwai
Tortoise
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
DJ Shadow
Baby Bird
The Salteens
Manic Street Preachers (pre-Richie's departure)
Eels

Australian music you wish you heard of:
Augie March
Frente
The Lucksmiths
Decoder Ring

I was fanatically into Radiohead just as OK Computer launched, and still find that to be one of my top two or three albums of all time, so if you like that album, hopefully our tastes will overlap on the above.

Of the Australian stuff, I cannot recommend Augie March enough. The music is absolutely gorgeous, and the lyrics are extremely layered and soulful. They are 100% my favourite band, and I've seen them (and the lead singer's solo shows) every time they've played here in Melbourne this year. Their second album was released in the US earlier this year, titled "Strange Bird". Their first album, "Sunset Studies", was released over here about five years ago, and is an eighty-minute epic. I highly recommend picking up either of the above, which you can probably Soulseek without too much effort.

Man, I have been typing up a thread kinf of like this and deleting it before submitting for days now. Mine was going to be more about "that perfect album," but anyways... I needed to write that thread just to get this off my chest.

Although I have varied musical taste and I have a huge back catalogue of music and bands I absolutely love, currently, I am so in love with Keane's Hopes & Fears. This album is divine and I am actually glad they absolutely killed "Everybody's Changing" on the radio to get my attention.

Other than the fact that I have this album on repeat my favorite bands over the years have been:

Pink Floyd
Metallica
U2
Front 242
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
The Pixies
Green Day
Rob Zombie
The Prodigy
The Crystal Method
Toad the Wet Sprocket (not the Monty Python one ;) *nudge* *nudge*..."say no more!")
Iron Maiden
Alice in Chains
The Bloodhound Gang (lol!)
Bush (no, it's not the President, former or current, but I hear Clinton plays a mean sax and has it played on him too..)
Creed
David Bowie
Enigma
Fatboy Slim
Guns 'n Roses
Jane's Addiction
Jean Michel Jarre
Vangelis
Joe Satriani

But at this point it's just getting long and tedious...We'll leave it at that.

But no!! We must not forget Wagner, Bach, Mozart, Placebo, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, and...<must....stop...now!!!>

Ok, I admit it! I love everything except for Britney Spears and those Simpson sisters (the music! I am talking about the music! Or non-music, as it were...)

b31eb220dca0026044a56010.L.jpg

B000002NE4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000002HDV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Are making me happy these days.

opeth, meshuggah (opposites lol), tool, burzum, death,diabolical masqueraade, recently got into Katatonia, strapping young lad, dream theater (get your wank on), immortal, emperor, satyricon, nile, cradle of filth, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, in flames (not soundtrack though.. wtf... their new one is much better;) ).. ya.
I got nearly 40GB of metal and a few rock bands :D

Ark
Conception
Darkane
Deep Purple
Dream Theater
Emperor
Meshuggah
Mortiis
Nine Inch Nails
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
Rainbow
Spiritual Beggars
The Mars Volta
The Cardigans

... is some of the stuff on my playlist at the moment, plus a shitload of anime/movie/game soundtracks.

Some of the stuff I have been listening to lately:

Opeth
Novembre
Katatonia
Forest Of Shadows
Draconian
Insomnium
Ayreon
Ulver
Anekdoten
Cult Of Luna
Koldbrann
Devil Doll
Taake

Digi, have you seen any Butthole Surfers' videos? Absolutely sick badass stuff!!!

My favs:

Death
Carcass
Morbid Angel
Crimson Glory
Dark Angel
Alice in Chains
Type-O-Negative
Tool
Life Of Agony

Softer stuff:

The Cure
The Sisters Of Mercy
Billy Cobham
David Bowie
Deee-Lite
Daft Punk
Prodigy
Depeche Mode

Too much to list really, so I'll just pick on some of the all-time favourites.

Boards of Canada
The Who
Super Furry Animals
Coldplay
Orbital
Ladytron
Sneaker Pimps
Gorillaz
Jamiroquai
Dubstar
Franz Ferdinand
The Smiths
The Beta Band

I'm going to leave it there, or I'll be here all day! :p Alternatively, you could get more of an idea of my tastes from checking out my Last.FM profile.

My goodness, I completely forgot about the Smashing Pumpkins...I must have partied a little too well to them to have forgotten about them. :p

XXX, good on ya for reminding me of the Sisters of Mercy too :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
_xxx_ said:
Digi, have you seen any Butthole Surfers' videos? Absolutely sick badass stuff!!!
Nope, I don't really do videos. I still have a lot of BS to listen to, I've just got "Dracula from Houston" and "Intelligent Man" on my mp3 player from their album and I really dig the tunes.

"Now I'm not the world's most intelligent guy,
sometimes I just sit and wonder why
it takes a lot of money and a telephone;
rock me baby, rock me baby,
all night long."

Two of my favorite cleaning songs lately, I got turned on to them from the "Scrubs" soundtrack. I discover a lot of great tunes/groups off of OSTs lately, I muchly like them as a way to expose myself to new music. :)

Back