"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Sep 1, 2007.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Here's one low-poly effort from pre-production [all of this was thrown out], greybox experiments from Uncharted 4 Scottland stages by @thegreatbluebit:

[​IMG]

[IMO this looks like a shippable art for a modern indie game :D ]

milk, Malo, jlippo and 2 others like this.
  2. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

Not directly related to your comment but, i see the term 'ps2 graphics' being used in many discussions, always referring to how bad a games particular graphics or details are. It's this way around the globe and all forums. I know the PS2 was the least powerhouse regarding the 6th gen, bar the DC, but was it that bad.... Why not 'PSX' graphics or 'PS3' graphics, or just 'Voodoo 2' graphics?

3. eloyc

Veteran Regular

I think it's more of a compliment, actually, since it's like regarding the PS2 as the most significant console of its gen worth mentioning when a comparison arises.

4. EsppiraK

Newcomer

Exactly

PSman1700 likes this.
  5. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

Yeah nice, didn't think of it in that way lol :) Probably the only console worth remembering from the 6th gens, it had a rather impressive and huge library.

6. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

As well as being the most significant console of its generation, that generation was the first to be able to convincingly render 3D graphics. Sure, the PS1, N64, and Saturn all had a crack at 3D, but none of them was great at it.

Great 3D games came regardless (MGS, Goldeneye 64, FFVII,) but graphically, it was visibly a transitional generation. I get the same feeling with PSVR.

PSman1700 and eloyc like this.
  7. PSman1700

Regular Newcomer

3dfx nailed it at 3D during the mid to late 90's. PS2 and Xbox both were real 3d monsters just doing it differently :) Oculus Rift S and HTC vive do VR really well for being VR. Don't know if VR will replace traditional screens though.