"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

They have confirmed in the video that there are universal rigs for the characters, so the cutscenes are totally in-game, which is nice taking into account that Eurogamer said there seemed to be some compression artifacts -probably due to a video codec-, but the comments in the video rule that possibility out. I also thought that cutscenes could possibly be FMV videos, but they aren't.

I am gladly surprised.

May be the highest LOD for npc, check out the dude in the middle (about 2 meters in distance) who looks like it's far below 150k.
http://www.gamehdw.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Ryse-Son-of-Rome-Wallpaper-Widescreen-HD.jpg

A few of the screens taken of the game appear to be of a PreE3 build. and although The E3 demo of Ryse was very presentable, it's been expressed countless times as an alpha build. I've watched the Autodesk presentation (which was very good) and in it was explained that multiple character LODs won't be used for this project. If anything some character assets may going though some more polishing.

regardless of it, the E3 build shows very good progress to be considered in it's preliminary stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of the screens taken of the game appear to be of a PreE3 build. and although The E3 demo of Ryse was very presentable, it's been expressed countless times as an alpha build. I've watched the Autodesk presentation (which was very good) and in it was explained that multiple character LODs won't be used for this project. If anything some character assets may going though some more polishing.

regardless of it, the E3 build shows very good progress to be considered in it's preliminary stage.
Maybe they were using 360 character assets for the npc in the pre alpha shots which should explain the drastically low poly counts in that shot.

link.
Didact 1
Didact 2

The model i have of the Didact was incomplete however ( face blend shape missing ). it was above 44,000 polygons without the blend shape.

Both Halo 4 and Reach have their assets integrated into special files. blend shapes are in a separate file. the engine sorts the assets out. anyways, the extractors have a few models extracted but haven't seem to gotten around to uploading them yet. whenever they do is whenever i'll be able to share them.

Polygon Numbers For Splinter Cell : Black List.

Charlie (Paladin outfit) - 11,028 polygons
Briggs (Paladin outfit) - 13,133 polygons
Sam Fisher (Paladin outfit) - 14,787 polygons
Sam Fisher (stealth Suit) - 19,135 polygons
Grim (Paladin outfit) - 22,925 polygons

will post some more when i locate a few extra.

Just to clarify - blend shapes are additional vertex positions stored for every vertex of a mesh. It could be a head model or the entire torso or anything else.

In practice we create blend shapes by cloning the mesh and editing the vertex positions to create 'targets'. Then when we create the blend shape deformer on the base mesh, it derives the vertex deltas from these target models.

As for Splinter Cell, Grim is based on the scanned head of a real life talent, not sure of the name. Sam is manually sculpted though.

So

Infamous second son: Delsin's head: 60 000 polygons, beanie 7500 polygons.
Whole body maybe well over 100 000 ? His hands look really detailled so are the chains at his arm

Beanie poly count seems a lot, has it some cloth simulation ? Is it removed at some part in the game ?

MLB THE SHOW 14 ps4: each spectator composed of 10 000 polygons according to devs, obviously only up close i guess.

Well, Marius's head in Ryse has 24k polys and the entire model has 85k polys. The head to body ratio is roughly 3.5 times. If we're using that as a base then we get 236k for Delsin :oops:, but I really doubt it tho. I'd say it's well over 100k, maybe 150k plus the chain.

Well, Marius's head in Ryse has 24k polys and the entire model has 85k polys. The head to body ratio is roughly 3.5 times. If we're using that as a base then we get 236k for Delsin :oops:, but I really doubt it tho. I'd say it's well over 100k, maybe 150k plus the chain.

A little camera glitch showed me that chain from up close and it's incredible that they would spend so much to model it like that.

Back