Yamauchi Finally Steps Down

Teasy

Veteran
Nintendo's ex-president steps down after three years

April 28, 2005 - Nintendo's former president Hiroshi Yamauchi will leave the board of directors after a shareholder meeting on June 29, three years after he stepped down as company president. Yamauchi joined Nintendo in 1949, back when the company produced playing cards. During his 52 years as president, he transformed Nintendo from a humble playing cards manufacture into one of the leading electronic entertainment companies in the world.

Yamauchi will leave the board of directors due to his age, according to Nintendo representatives, and due to the fact Nintendo business operations have stabilized since his departure as president. Yamauchi yields authority in Nintendo operations, but will still act as an advisor. He'll also hold on to his stake in the company, which totals 10 percent of Nintendo's stock. Deciding his pension would be best used by Nintendo, Yamauchi declined to accept his retirement funds, reported to be around $9 million to $14 million.

Originally I thought he had left Nintendo 3 years ago when he stepped down as president. But apparently he was still a director with a lot of authority and influence over the company. However now he's officially left Nintendo. Hopefully Iwata will now be free to finally fully stamp his ideas on the company. Without the old school Nintendo thinking holding him back. Yamauchi will still have his 10% share and so can still advise but he certainly won't have the kind of influence he had as a member of the board of directors. Not that I dislike Yamauchi, he's and a great man who has done great things with Nintendo and clearly loves the company. I just think he's stuck in the past and that's exactly the opposite of what Nintendo needs.

Yeah i remember telling you and many others that he was still in control of the company, despite his change in title/postion.

This can only be good news for Nintendo. Once Yamauchi may have been great, but he's long outlived his usefulness to the company.

Hopefully his influence on the company as of late has been small, so Iwata will not need to waste precious time backtracking and redoing work on future Nintendo consoles and projects.

I look forward to seeing what a new, reinvigorated Nintendo can do.

you think that being in the boards of director equates to being in control of the company.

so all this time when yamauchi was president of nintendo, some guy from the board of director was in control of nintendo ? :oops:

;)

Yeah i remember telling you and many others that he was still in control of the company, despite his change in title/postion.

He wasn't in control of the company, but yes he did have influence as a member of the board (and former president obviously..).

I think we've seen a change in Nintendo since Yamauchi stepped down as president due to his lessened influence. So now that he's officially retired hopefully we'll see even more change and Revolution can truley be Iwata's console.

Teasy said:

He wasn't in control of the company, but yes he did have influence as a member of the board (and former president obviously..).

I think we've seen a change in Nintendo since Yamauchi stepped down as president due to his lessened influence. So now that he's officially retired hopefully we'll see even more change and Revolution can truley be Iwata's console.

Thats why I couldn't understand why so many would put Iwata in the position of blame for many of Nintendo's problems of this generation. Iwata has yet to release a console built on his visions and ideas.

This is the way it was explained to me how many companies work. Sometimes a person steps down only to use the replacement as a puppet or a replacement in training.

It was more than influence teasy, only "now" he has influence, but even with Iwata at the helm, he still had Yamauchi as his boss and I'm certain everything went through him.

Ya know it's interesting to see what you wrote, as I can remember you and a few others trying to prove how Yamuchi had nothing to do with the DS and how certain other decisions nintendo made were all Iwatas. I still kept saying that yamauchi was really in control, not unlike this article.

It was more than influence teasy, only "now" he has influence, but even with Iwata at the helm, he still had Yamauchi as his boss and I'm certain everything went through him.

I remember you were also certain that DS would be released as the next GameBoy. Its your opinion but nothing to be certain about AFAICS. BTW while I can vaguely remember a thread with a discussion about Yamauchi I can't actually remember you saying anything to me about him. One thing I do remember though is no one at the time actually knew that Yamauchi was still working for Nintendo. All I remember reading from certain people were conspiracy theories "he's retired but still running the company from his hot tub".. that kind of thing.

I remember you were also certain that DS would be released as the next GameBoy.Its your opinion but nothing more.

I said if they release the DS and it's successful, there's no chance of nintendo releasing a new gameboy anytime soon. Yup I thought they would call it gameboy or something along those lines. I also said that the DS was essientially a replacement for the gameboy and that's why it could use GBA carts. yeah it's my opinion, but how truthful is it?

BTW while I can vaguely remember a thread with a discussion about Yamauchi I can't remember you saying anything to me about him. One thing I do remember though is no one at the time actually knew that Yamauchi was still officially working for Nintendo. All I remember reading from certain people were conspiracy theories "he's retired but still running the company from his hot tub".. that kind of thing.

Well I don't recall but I'm certain you were invovled as you "tend" to be invovled whenever I comment on nintendo. Anyway I did know for a fact that he was still on teh board, infact it was publically stated he was stepping down and keeping a spot on the board. It wasn't a conspiracy theory, that's how I heard many japanese based companies were/are run when the person in charge steps aside but remains on the board. I don't recall who told me that, but it was fairly accurate, wouldn't you say?

I don't remember you ever saying to me that he was still on the board of Nintendo. I'd definitely remember that, so looks like you said that to someone else.

Regarding DS and the GameBoy, we can definitely say that the bit about it having a GB name wasn't true. Also Nintendo have said GB2 is well into development as well so I don't see any chance of the DS replacing the GB line.

I don't recall who told me that, but it was fairly accurate, wouldn't you say?

Who knows? The Nintendo of the last few years don't seem to be exactly the same Nintendo they were under Yamauchi's presidency.

I definitely don't remember you ever saying to me that he was still on the board of Nintendo. I'd definitely remember that, so looks like you said that to someone else.

I didn't have to say it to you, like I said, it was already public knowledge that he was still on the board.

Regarding DS and the GameBoy, we can definitely say that the bit about it having a GB name wasn't true.

Yeah I already said that, but I was right on the DS acting as a replacement for the GBA. it in fact is.

Also Nintendo have said GB2 is well into development as well so I don't see any chance of the DS replacing the GB line.

I didn't say anything about replacing the "gameboy line". i said it was a replacement for the game boy advance. Which it essentially is a stop gap until the next gameboy is ready.

I still think we won't be seeing the next gameboy anytime soon "unless" nintendo starts to loose any significant market share in the portable space to SONY.

If you follow Cube.IGN this is non-news. He stated he would step down a number of times and never did, and even when he relinquished his presidency of the company it has been commented on frequently at IGN that he has been active in business decisions. President or not he was the head of the company for 50+ years and hand picked the current Nintendo leadership--so if course he would have sway. This is like the WiFi news--if you do not follow Nintendo stuff you will miss this. Argueing with nameless fanbois really does not mean much.

Btw, even off the board he still owns 10% in the company and will have the ears of those at the company. He hand picked most of them and they will continue to respect him. But yes, his grip on the company is slowly fading. Revolution will be the last home console with his firm fingerprint. Maybe Iwata will move the company in a new direction with Revolution 2.

If you follow Cube.IGN this is non-news. He stated he would step down a number of times and never did, and even when he relinquished his presidency of the company it has been commented on frequently at IGN that he has been active in business decisions. President or not he was the head of the company for 50+ years and hand picked the current Nintendo leadership--so if course he would have sway.
I hope you aimed that statement at teasy and others and not myself? I never said this was "news", perhaps you should let others know to follow nintendo news better. as I've already said yamauchi was still in control of the company after stepping down from being president 3 years ago. I also argued with people that tried to prove he no longer had any influenece 3 years ago (which wasn't correct). I need not say more then that.
This is like the WiFi news--if you do not follow Nintendo stuff you will miss this.
If you want to bring up the wifi news argument again, I already told you how I felt it was in important due to it not changing the way a networked game is coded. Anyway I suggest you do it in another thread and, as this is an off topic point.

Once again, I certainly hope this wasn't aimed in my direction. I already know this is old news. If you're aiming that at me, I don't think you read my posts. I already said it was "publically stated" 3 years ago. So your above statement, should be posed at Teasy and others if it wasn't already. If it was, thanks for the comment but repeating what we've already established in the thread (with it being old news as you say) really doesn't add anything of substance to the discussion, right?
Argueing with nameless fanbois really does not mean much.
...and what purpose does this statement have in this thread Acert? Not taking this statement in context, I do agree, but the fanbois certainly do have names.

Qroach said:
I hope you aimed that statement at teasy and others and not myself? I never said this was "news", perhaps you should let others know to follow nintendo news better. as I've already said yamauchi was still in control of the company after stepping down from being president 3 years ago. I also argued with people that tried to prove he no longer had any influenece 3 years ago (which wasn't correct). I need not say more then that.

1. Yamauchi was not "in control of the company". There is a difference between (a) having strong influence over a company behind the scenes and (b) being in control. The way you come across on this point may be the very reason people were argueing with you. If you INSIST he was in control, when he was not, then of course they will disagree. Even this news posts does not state he was in control.

Sematics, but clearly a difference. If you are insisting Yamauchi was in complete control of the company then I would disagree with you also. So which is it? Were you argueing, as the above statement shows, that he was in control; or were you argueing that he had a certain degree of influence?

2. "people that tried to prove... who are all these nameless Nintendo-fan people you mention all the time? This line of arguementation you mention frequently is as valid as anyone using Sony/MS fanbois are a reference. If you want to mention them I want to know who they are.

This is like the WiFi news--if you do not follow Nintendo stuff you will miss this.
If you want to bring up the wifi news argument again, I already told you how I felt it was in important due to it not changing the way a networked game is coded. Anyway I suggest you do it in another thread and, as this is an off topic point.

It is very on topic. The point, if you missed it, is that Nintendo can make clear public announcements picked up by the AP, CNN, MSNBC, and the like and people miss them because they are only focused on their favorite console vendor. You are a fairly informed gamer, yet you missed major news. I was not picking on you at all--I was giving an example that you could understand and appreciate. If you could miss major news and be in the dark, then cut others some slack. Just because Teasy follows Nintendo does not mean he has to be aware of every nuance in the company.

Anyhow, if such PUBLIC announcements can be missed, more subtle comments from industry insiders with close connections to the company, like Matt C. from IGN, are much easily to be missed. But it was always stated when he retired that he would remain onboard to ensure a smooth transistion. That was his original reason for staying at the help for the GCN longer than expected--he wanted to ensure a quality launch. Similarly he wants to make sure things went well after he stepped down. None of this was directed at you, just general information.

And if you had forgotten, the WiFi issue originally was related to the fact you were unaware of Revolutions WiFi features even though it made mainstream news. Nintendo was very vocal at GDC about this and in the news about their next console being WiFi enabled for networking. The issue had nothing to do with coding. Stop spinning the issue. And in that regards, missed public statements, it is very relevant to this thread.

Once again, I certainly hope this wasn't aimed in my direction. I already know this is old news. If you're aiming that at me, I don't think you read my posts.

I read your post. You tend to insult people who disagree with you.

I already said it was "publically stated" 3 years ago. So your above statement, should be posed at Teasy and others if it wasn't already.

Did I attach any names? Nope. General post summerizing my thoughts on it in a general discussion forum. If the comments do not directly apply to you move on.

...and what purpose does this statement have in this thread Acert? Not taking this statement in context, I do agree, but the fanbois certainly do have names.

You make mention of how you were argueing this point with "Nintendo fanbois" before in this thread, and even in the post I am directly quoting you make a reference to "people".

You have a convenient habit of saying "people" when trying to make a point. You can prove any point you want by saying "people". "Some Americans are violent racists" "Many men are lazy" "Some Canadians think the earth is flat".

Whether these people exist or not is irrelevant. I see in the Next Gen success prediction poll thread you get after a couple specific posts about their claims that "The Xbox did well because it was more powerful" and you specifically say that is wrong because it is about the games. I would agree with you, but their line of logic is similar: people (as in some people) bought the Xbox because it was more powerful, and thus the Xbox 360 is doomed.

Whether their conclusion is correct, using generic "people" really is not valid and ignores the real issues. Similarly, you tend to use "people" in the same way. No one really cares what these people think. If some 3rd grader on some forum was argueing with you, what point is there to tell the world you were right, especially when you are not citing the original poster?

Now if you make a statement in 2003 like, "The PS3 wont have a 1TFLOPs CPU as Sony hopes" and when it comes out Sony's hope was wrong THEN you can dance a little dance and tell everyone you were right. But going on about how some NAMELESS PERSON(S) was wrong is pointless.

As it stands I am not even sure you are right. Are you saying that after Yamauchi stepped down he was still in control?

Q said:
as I've already said yamauchi was still in control of the company after stepping down from being president

Or do you want to revise that statement?

1. Yamauchi was not "in control of the company". There is a difference between (a) having strong influence over a company behind the scenes and (b) being in control. The way you come across on this point may be the very reason people were argueing with you. If you INSIST he was in control, when he was not, then of course they will disagree. Even this news posts does not state he was in control.
Now you want to argue over semantics? you know this thread was fairly quiet until you wanted to jump in and start another argument that was both off topic and a waste of time.
Sematics, but clearly a difference.
I'm NOT interested in getting into a sematics battle, however you obviously are :rolleyes: You can go ahead and do that on your own time.
"people that tried to prove... who are all these nameless Nintendo-fan people you mention all the time? This line of arguementation you mention frequently is as valid as anyone using Sony/MS fanbois are a reference. If you want to mention them I want to know who they are.
Excuse me? So now what I say means something different because you want to interpret it that way? I have to explain to you who those exact people were/are? They know who there are, however I don't really care for naming every single person invovled, adn to add to that I DON'T answer to you. If I want to bring up a related discussion i can remember having 4 years ago, I'll do that without needing to answer to you! Btw, this was really none of your business was it not? You weren't even a member of this forum back in 2002 were you? So you shouldn't CARE what was said back then.

Like I said those people aren't nameless, and again, you're going off topic for the same reasons you usually do. Just another reason to start an argument.
It is very on topic.
No it's NOT on topic. You have some serious problems staying on topic. If you feel the need to bring up an OFF TOPIC argument from a thread that was already shut down, then send me a private PM and I'll decided if I feel like going into the same BS with you again, ok? thank you.
And if you had forgotten, the WiFi issue originally was related to the fact you were unaware of Revolutions WiFi features even though it made mainstream news.
Like i already said this is off topic. Not only that, I explained why I never bothered to read any of the wifi news as it simply wasn't a big deal imo. how many times you continue to ignore that is really amazing. Would you please stop going off topic and drop this argument?
I read your post. You tend to insult people who disagree with you.
I didn't "insult anyone in this thread". Now you're making things up.
Did I attach any names? Nope. General post summerizing my thoughts on it in a general discussion forum. If the comments do not directly apply to you move on.
nice try acert, I think at this point in your post you already admitted you were directing those "shots" at me, and for what reason exactly? because I was right? wow you're trying to find all sorts of things wrong with what I said, but you can keep trying, as I really don't care what you think. i'm not getting drawn in to an off topic argument, and I have no need to give you reasoning for something said when you weren't a member of this forum.
You make mention of how you were argueing this point with "Nintendo fanbois" before in this thread, and even in the post I am directly quoting you make a reference to "people".
This is pathetic! I never said "nintendo Fanbois" in this thread. I said fanbois in response to a sentace where YOU used the word. There's no need to make up imaginary quotes Acert. You've already successfully left your imprint on this thread.

The rest of your last post is nothing mroe then argumentitive nonsense. That is, what isn't already off topic.

I didn't have to say it to you, like I said, it was already public knowledge that he was still on the board.

Just making it clear that we never discussed this AFAIR.

I didn't say anything about replacing the "gameboy line". i said it was a replacement for the game boy advance. Which it essentially is a stop gap until the next gameboy is ready.

Well to be honest if you didn't mean the GB line then its a bit of a redundant thing to say. Since we always knew the DS would release and sell more then GBA-SP is currently selling, or that was always the plan after all.

Just making it clear that we never discussed this AFAIR.
Ok that's fine, I was only stating the information was out there about him staying on the board.

Well to be honest if you didn't mean the GB line then its a bit of a redundant thing to say. Since we always knew the DS would release and sell more then GBA-SP is currently selling, or that was always the plan after all.
That's not redundant imo. Not everyone knew that. I can recall arguing with some people that thought the DS would compliment the GBA and not replace it. It was infact a replacement/stop gap until the next GB. Anyway not much point in discussing this point as it's off topic.

Back