XP SP2 and Automatic Updates

Reverend

Banned
You didn't have SP1 nag you that you didn't have Automatic Updates enabled everytime you boot up but SP2 has this very irritating habit.

Is there any way to disable Automatic Updates and NOT have XP SP2 warn you every time you boot up?

In accessories, system tools, control enter: you can desactivate autoupdate.

If it does not work you can use Xp-antispy.

Your method seems to be wrong (no "control center", only security center, and security center doesn't seem to allow me to disable automatic updates within a current XP session... which isn't what I want... I want to disable automatic update and don't want XP SP2 to warn me that automatic update is disabled everytime I boot up), and I don't think you understand my question.

Either you don't understand my question, or I don't understand your answer.

Sorry names may differ from english version as i use a french version :)

In fact i did not understand it the first time because autoupdate is desactived on my system and i never get that message. I bet it is because i desactivated autopudtate and a bunch of other services with XP antispy and I desactivated the warning service same time :)

Reverend said:
You didn't have SP1 nag you that you didn't have Automatic Updates enabled everytime you boot up but SP2 has this very irritating habit.

Is there any way to disable Automatic Updates and NOT have XP SP2 warn you every time you boot up?

Start Menu -> control panel -> security centre -> change the way security centre alerts me (bottom of left panel)

Guden Oden said:
Rev,

Why don't you like the automatic update feature?
Coz I have no idea what really is going on with it enabled! :)

Also, I may have forgotten the day/time I set it to update/download and this isn't a good idea when you're like in the middle of benchmarking for an article or doing something important.

I have it set so it automatically checks for updates but only downloads and installs them when I say so. I find that's the best of both worlds.

Back