XNA interview

If God one day wakes up and goes "Gosh i'm bored today, let's see what would happen if i delete CARBON from the universe, like it never existed" then i think none of us would exist.

The way you are posting away, jvd, at times feels like a reincarnation of banned Deadmeat. Why? You continuesly bring up the same flawed arguments over and over again. If it's not some argument about the faults of PS2, it's a post based around "IFs" here and "IFs" there. What happened? No one can argue with "IFs" - If the world came to an end, Microsoft would fail too. IF-arguments hold no weight and surely can't be the basis of a good, objective argument. I understand that there are doubts, but these, if valid, should be able to be backed up with some facts - not madeup IF-scenario's which are unlikely, unpredictable and therefore serve no purpouse in a debate. Only when the IF-scenario holds some truth or can be backed up by facts to be a serious possibility does it become interesting to a debate. Not before, not after

This is the problem.

You say my posts shouldn't be based around ifs.

I"m sorry to say but no matter who posts about the ps3 unless its offical word from sony (And even then) its all ifs .

Yes my example of a post was exagerated . But i figured even on the net that would be the first thing a person picked up. But that is exactly how almasy wants me to post. He is upset that i'm not a supporter of sony and he needs to learn that i'm not a supporter of any majority company. Nor will I ever be. Because that is how I am built. I'm built to look for the best price to performance ratio I can and hopefully that comes from an under dog so that one day I don't wake up and go to 7-11 and find out that coke costs 20$ a bottle .

Havent read many of the posts, but i think many people around here mistake JVD and other people's *cough*mine*cough* sarcasm for something else. Granted, at times he's a bit over the top, just like many others are, but his arguments are acceptable most of the time

The same goes with every person on this forum. at times the posts aren't acceptable so I either delete them or if its happened 1 to many times I comment in the post (in bold) about why the thread is over the line . I did not mod in this thread but i'm still a mod .That is why I had to warn him that what he was doing was wrong and against the rules.

The way I work is right now I can not edit /delete/lock this thread as I am involved. Sonic can do which ever he needs to.

All I need is for someone that doesn't like me to see a locked thread that I was in and claim jvd locks threads cause he can't win !

So i have never locked a thread I was in unless it ended up nothing but cursing and insults

Alstrong said:
in actual fact, N-gage still wouldn't have a shot as a gaming device ;)

Its actually not a bad game system. - Of course I got the whole library free when I bought the system. But hey u know thats kinda cool. Like my virtual boy

Phil, great post. My sentiments exactly. With all due respect to JVD's willingness to help mod this forum and efforts to reign in the likes of DM and Chap, I see some of the same tendencies in his posts as what get's those two in trouble and Phil sums it up best.

I think the effort to temper people's anticipation over the advancements that next-gen hardware/software will offer is misguided. We all know we're in speculation mode here. As fans of this stuff - games/hardware - why would you want to be anything less than excited about what comes next, esp. when you don't know enough about it to be sure whether its going to live up to the hype or be a dud? If it's because you're prone to disappointment when your expectations significantly overshoot the reality when it arrives, well, that's your problem, not everyone else's and I would think that would mean that you'd want to stay away from the speculation in the first place, rather than participate in it.

kaching said:
Phil, great post. My sentiments exactly. With all due respect to JVD's willingness to help mod this forum and efforts to reign in the likes of DM and Chap, I see some of the same tendencies in his posts as what get's those two in trouble and Phil sums it up best..

And again, one tries to be light-hearted about things and speaking his own mind and the worls ends.

I think the effort to temper people's anticipation over the advancements that next-gen hardware/software will offer is misguided. We all know we're in speculation mode here. As fans of this stuff - games/hardware - why would you want to be anything less than excited about what comes next, esp. when you don't know enough about it to be sure whether its going to live up to the hype or be a dud? If it's because you're prone to disappointment when your expectations significantly overshoot the reality when it arrives, well, that's your problem, not everyone else's and I would think that would mean that you'd want to stay away from the speculation in the first place, rather than participate in it
Agreed.

Phil, great post. My sentiments exactly. With all due respect to JVD's willingness to help mod this forum and efforts to reign in the likes of DM and Chap, I see some of the same tendencies in his posts as what get's those two in trouble and Phil sums it up best.
I see that in many otehrs including some of the sony supporters.

I think the effort to temper people's anticipation over the advancements that next-gen hardware/software will offer is misguided. We all know we're in speculation mode here. As fans of this stuff - games/hardware - why would you want to be anything less than excited about what comes next, esp. when you don't know enough about it to be sure whether its going to live up to the hype or be a dud? If it's because you're prone to disappointment when your expectations significantly overshoot the reality when it arrives, well, that's your problem, not everyone else's and I would think that would mean that you'd want to stay away from the speculation in the first place, rather than participate in it.

I'm not trying to temper anyones anticipations.

But do I enjoy the once a week can the ps3 render this ? and then a picture of me with a bottle of johny walker blue in it .

People expect way , way to much from these next gen machines.

I get bashed when I claim the graphics wont be much better than farcry set to high. Mabye 2 or 3 times that.

The xbox came out what 3 years ago ? It was also hugely expensive to create. THe dreamcast came out 3 years before that and was extremly cheap to produce. The jump between the two was very small and while some games look better not all of them do.

Yet people here expect in a 4 year jump for the ps3 /xbox2 to put cgi on thier pc in real time.

I don't see how many here that know about this stuff can listen to it.

Esp since we have no specs yet.

I much rather talk about the systems we have out now . Since that is actual fact and not peoples day dreams about what could be or might be

l-b, I've lurked around here quite a bit and I just don't get a real "lighthearted" vibe from jvd's post like I do from your posts, for example.

In any case, the world is not ending, I'm just speaking my own mind on the types of arguments he presents and happen to agree with Phil's assessment.

Correction. Sony was the leader. With the ps3 they will have a 0 installed base just like ms.

Also we do not know if they have the apporpiate tools. The quality of the ps2 tools at launch were lacking to say the least .

Ibm is also helping microsoft get the edge in tech along with ati .

umm....NO.Not only is IBM helping Sony develop Cell,but they are helping Sony develop the workstation (which is one of the tools for the PS3,not including others), and an OS.I believe they are also involved with the 45nm chip.Microsoft developed XNA on their own (sort of) and only got the basic architecture from IBM,which was basically a modification,if memory serves me right.Therefore,IBM are more involved with Sony than Microsoft.

...Nor do we know if they don't have the proper tools.That makes your point moot.You are also using the history of the PS2 to predict the future for the PS3,and it doesn't work that way.For one,Sony managed to make the PS1 very easy to program for;they have manage to make the GScube very easy to program for,and they have manage to make the PSP very easy to program for dispite it being just as powerful as the PS2 and the GScube even more powerful.But,because this part of the picture had made the most news,you use it as a flaw to their strategy.From the looks of things,it appears that their tool making abilities are excelling.

ANd do you think sony is in the busniess to give out free ice cream ?

No.But,I do like their strategy and ideas a lot better than Microsoft's, however, -- for one simple reason: Microsoft rarely ever introduces anything new to the public.What they are trying to do is alienate the gaming industry (where it is under their control) with a PC environment based off of a DirectX.If I wanted a PC environment,I would have invested more into my PC.In my opinion,this would hurt the gaming world more than it could help it.

ADD:
--------------------------------------

XNA though seemly wanting to make things easier for developers under a single platform like stated above marginalizes software dvelopers on both PC and console side of the market. (Languages such as openGL and developers that use middleware with their own tool sets). If the goal is for competition then it should be software as well.

Also..Last thing I read stated that IBM would provide chip technology but TSMC would provide semiconductor manufacturing services for future Xbox products.

Back