Xbox : What should MS do next? *spawn

With vm and abstracted hardware I could see you having next xbox certified pc's sold at retail later. Still sell console hardware but the xbox brand and games may well move across boundaries.

That still can fit in with some of our views, of an XBox branded PC with a console frontend.
true, or the transition period may be a little way out. For our views, I think the true signal is when PC has exactly the same content as the console, and they are running in parallel. The console would fade out from there shortly after I imagine.

That could be. That entry level still needs to be a console price and offer a generational leap over the Xbox one.

I imagine the Xbox becoming a virtualized hardware service where any windows OS based computer with compliant hardware can download and make use of the xbox app. Developers get a fixed hardware environment and yet the ability to target a userbase with varying hardware. I imagine the service stratified to accommodate the performance expectations of core gamers and a tier that caters to the mobile and tab markets. PC enthusiasts are satisfied by forking the code to accommodate higher visuals and manual tweaking.

That still can fit in with some of our views, of an XBox branded PC with a console frontend.
It does, I think it was the normal subtext "we are not ready to discuss our future plans at this time, but here's something vague so that you stop asking". With all the vague statements from MS PR since 2013, we should be used to it by now.

Let's say Microsoft shuts down everything and invest 100% in a knitting division. The statement is still technically true.

Ethomaz @GAF

Let's find Xbone sales...

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
FR 0.71m
JP 0.06m

Total: ~14.9m

So, we have some of XB1 territories LTD... just need a few more territories on getting close to the 18.5 million sold-through. One thing is for sure, if the U.S. market didn't pull through for XB1, I could see XB1 sitting along side OGXB (short life cycle). Question is, how long will U.S. sales prop up XB1?

So, we have some of XB1 territories LTD... just need a few more territories on getting close to the 18.5 million sold-through. One thing is for sure, if the U.S. market didn't pull through for XB1, I could see XB1 sitting along side OGXB (short life cycle). Question is, how long will U.S. sales prop up XB1?
Ideally for a while. Console ownership is not a fixed pie; though revenue could be, as purchasers at launch are worth more than purchasers today/tomorrow.

However, purchasers of 1 console can purchase another system even though they overlap. MS will need to increase the value proposition enough to get people who bought a PS4 to consider buying an Xbox as well. Any and all of these changes they are making towards rebuilding Xbox One, should also be forward looking for their next console.

If UK is <2.5m how are you going to get to 3.6m with what's left? Looks like <15.9m total to me.

Nobody knows UK. MCV had a year end report that only stated that PS4 plus Xbox One was 5.5 million total in the UK. They also had software revenue share though, which if confined to only PS4/XBO showed a 55/45 split on favor of PS4. I think it would be difficult to argue the software share would be greatly different than the hardware share, so applying 55/45 to the 5.5 hardware gives ~3m PS4 and ~2.5m XBO which is likely about right. And further seeing another strong XBO market the USA is 12.4 PS4 and 11.1 XBO, we see it's very possible/likely for XBO to be this close in UK.

So anyway this puts you at around 15 million of known sales UK+USA+France+Germany+Japan, so you think the entire rest of the world is 900k? Canada alone is sometimes guessed at <~10% of USA so it could be up to another 1m there alone. Then you still have a fairly friendly/substantial XBO market in Australia, and you still have every other market in the world outside of those 7. You could have substantial sales in Brazil, Mexico, Russia, China/Asia, and you still have Spain, Sweden/Norway/Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Italy, in EU. And a lot of ex soviet bloc like Poland'Hungary/Romania (likely to be very few XBO sales, but maybe combined could add up to something). I think I read on GAF XBO is officially in 42 markets. PS4 was a lot higher than this.

Granted XBO sales someplace like Greece, Portugal can be near nonexistent. I'm just listing it out for completeness sake.

So in the end it gets back to take your guesses it's as good as the next guy. But I think 18-20+ million is easily believable. You are at 16 million verified just if you assume Canada+Australia equals at least 1 million, which should easily be true if not higher.

MS should stop making consoles and focus on PC.

Saying this a year ago was perceived as fanboy trolling. But now it is probable, so console has to be dead.

I talked about this arguing method before on B3D when those who didn't care about ownership wanted discs to disappear by force regardless of what choices were available to them, "if I don't win, everybody must lose." That is not sane.

Probable is 50% chance. I don't think the chances are that high at all.

I'm not sure what focus on PC means. Does it mean going third party, software only? Or trying to develop some sort of Live ecosystem?

With Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc gamers aren't going to switch over to purchases of the xbox store or subscribing to Live. MS had a chance to dominate the PC space in gaming, but instead they ignored it and let Steam take over.

If MS doesn't want to make hardware, they should just go full third party and support not just PC but other consoles as well.

PS4 shows just how much money there still is in the console market. MS could have had a big bite of that, they just fucked up in a hilariously obvious way. I hope they don't Nokia Xbox.

PS4 shows just how much money there still is in the console market. MS could have had a big bite of that, they just fucked up in a hilariously obvious way. I hope they don't Nokia Xbox.
They are completely loosing it on many fronts... they claim high number for Windows 10 but I think it is disaster in the making... only hidden by its free nature. Just for the ref I tried on 2 computers, I should have removed it from both but then made a clean instal on one and I can no longer go back. It is not ready, it is still schizophrenic and there are MSFT developed apps that takes longer to launch than a game like Borderlands 2, wtf...

Nobody knows UK. MCV had a year end report that only stated that PS4 plus Xbox One was 5.5 million total in the UK. They also had software revenue share though, which if confined to only PS4/XBO showed a 55/45 split on favor of PS4. I think it would be difficult to argue the software share would be greatly different than the hardware share, so applying 55/45 to the 5.5 hardware gives ~3m PS4 and ~2.5m XBO which is likely about right. And further seeing another strong XBO market the USA is 12.4 PS4 and 11.1 XBO, we see it's very possible/likely for XBO to be this close in UK.

So anyway this puts you at around 15 million of known sales UK+USA+France+Germany+Japan, so you think the entire rest of the world is 900k? Canada alone is sometimes guessed at <~10% of USA so it could be up to another 1m there alone. Then you still have a fairly friendly/substantial XBO market in Australia, and you still have every other market in the world outside of those 7. You could have substantial sales in Brazil, Mexico, Russia, China/Asia, and you still have Spain, Sweden/Norway/Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Italy, in EU. And a lot of ex soviet bloc like Poland'Hungary/Romania (likely to be very few XBO sales, but maybe combined could add up to something). I think I read on GAF XBO is officially in 42 markets. PS4 was a lot higher than this.

Granted XBO sales someplace like Greece, Portugal can be near nonexistent. I'm just listing it out for completeness sake.

So in the end it gets back to take your guesses it's as good as the next guy. But I think 18-20+ million is easily believable. You are at 16 million verified just if you assume Canada+Australia equals at least 1 million, which should easily be true if not higher.

This is not the placa to talk about sales, but since it was started...
Have you seen VGChartz numbers?
Look at this: sales for the first 26 months, worldwide.

"Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 35,529,288

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 55,216,329

The PlayStation 4 by itself has now sold more by itself than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 combined during the same amount of time. The PlayStation 4 by itself leads by 256,169 units."

Not using precise math, adding the PS4 lead to the PS3+360 sales we have 35.785 million PS4 consoles.

Sony anounced 35.9 million, so this is an 0.32% error. Very acceptable!

So sources for this numbers seem to be reliable.

Subtract PS4 numbers from combined sales with One, and add the error margin, and you get about 19.5 million XBox One sold worldwide.

I don't think much is going to change Xbox One sales at this point and the install base is only around 20 million now....and then when you add the fact that a new significantly more powerful console around the corner...

Also the fact is is that Xbox One games will continued to be developed on Xbox sdk as opposed to uwp where everything seems to be headed doesn't lead me to believe that it is very "future proof". The only thing it really has going for it my mind is BC.

I think you are vastly underestimating the power of price. The $100 price difference at launch is likely responsible for most of the market share difference in the current consoles.

A $199 XB1 slim would easily outsell a $299 PS4 in relevant territories.

If MS replaces the GPU in the Slim with Boffin, then they could have a $199 box that is substantially more powerful than the PS4 @$299 and with no meaningful difference from the $399 NEO at 1080P, i.e. sufficient umph for steady 1080P60. From a strategy standpoint, that is absolutely the route that I would go.

I think you are vastly underestimating the power of price. The $100 price difference at launch is likely responsible for most of the market share difference in the current consoles.

IMHO, it's a combination of MS terrible XB1 E3 reveal, poor communication, specs more moderate than PS4, and of course, stiff pricing. But that's history...

A $199 XB1 slim would easily outsell a $299 PS4 in relevant territories.

Assuming Sony doesn't drop PS4 pricing. Assuming Sony doesn't have a slim model (PS4) as well.

If MS replaces the GPU in the Slim with Boffin, then they could have a $199 box that is substantially more powerful than the PS4 @$299 and with no meaningful difference from the $399 NEO at 1080P, i.e. sufficient umph for steady 1080P60. From a strategy standpoint, that is absolutely the route that I would go.

If this was the case, you wouldn't be hearing about Scorpio. This senerio you're not going to see.

Back