Xbox : What should MS do next? *spawn

say they merge Xbox and windows . so now they have to build games for both platforms . how will they set the minimum requirements if they released a XBox os ?
:???: They'd implement Windows 10 on Xbox and run Windows titles on Xbox. A game bought on the Windows App Store will run on your XB1, your PC, and your phone, potentially. It'd be down to the game to scale or the store to filter suitable hardware and devs just to tag which devices are suitable. Something thing like that, anyhow.

right now on the apple app store you can search for apps that run on ipads and iphones or ones just for iphones or just for ipads.

I don't see why ms can't do that

You think iOS and Android devices are a) selling poorly and b) the reason is lack of "PC quality software"? :runaway:

I was going to say the whole paragraph failed the Turing test, I think he was having a go at us. If not, I apologize Shifty, but I have no idea what you were trying to say.

You think iOS and Android devices are a) selling poorly and b) the reason is lack of "PC quality software"? :runaway:
lol I think he says there is a lack of PC software on IOS and Android which is hampering them. Meaning we aren't seeing a lot of software from the Windows space entering either of those 2 markets. What we're seeing is a lot of IOS apps also being found on OSX, and a lot of Android Apps having at the very least web applications. Ms hasn't been successful seeding their ways onto the other two platforms, but I feel like Office suite has been a decent start.

lol I think he says there is a lack of PC software on IOS and Android which is hampering them.

My point was, just to be clear, that the combined market share of Android and iOS doesn't look hampered unless with some extra sales you could argue they may collectively totally crush BlackBerry and Windows Phone.

I agree most mobile software isn't anywhere near as feature complete or powerful as a lot of desktop software but this doesn't seem to be holding either platform back so it's clearly not a huge issue for hundreds of millions of users. The hampered platforms are the two operating systems from vendors with the longest pedigree in mobile.

It doesn't hamper sales - it hampers their usefulness. A Windows 10 tablet (with Wacom pressure sensitive stylus) will be far more useful to me than my Galaxy Note 10.1, and it's more likely I'll have the option of buying a decent Windows tablet than I'll have a full sweet of non-gimp'd productivity apps on Android. Autodesk's Sketchbook received a recent update and it was frickin' microtransaction based! No idea what the cost to actual enable all the features would be. I'd have no qualms spending £30-50 on proper software, even more more professional software, but Android and iOS tend not to support these. And even if there is a decent package on iOS (better software), it lacks the stylus and non-fat-fingered interface designs. Windows gives exactly the same software I own and use now. ArtRage will be ArtRage Full fat and not ArtRage Cheap-and-nasty. It can't get better than that!

I guess now way OT, but I know a guy who bought a surface (2 I think). I was kinda smitten. It definitely has that Apple "this is cool and really high end" effect to it. It's nice to sometimes see non-Apple products that do well without being a race to the price bottom.

The coolest part was that, it's a tablet, with a attachable keyboard, running full fat windows. So, he can play the full PC version of Call of Duty on his tablet on steam (granted he would have it set up like a laptop to do this anyway). I dont know at what settings, but yeah. It's a little chunky for a tablet, but he claimed Surface 3 is thinner.

Still not sure that for $700+ I wouldn't buy the Amoled Samsung $500 high end tablet instead (that thing's display is fricken gorgeous). Just for me, I will use my PC sitting 15 feet away in the other room for PC stuff, and a tablet is just for mobile websurfing really, so the super thin, pretty, and cheaper Samsung has appeal. But that's just me, as opposed to Shifty.

I guess it just comes to mind in this thread because I guess Surface did pretty well in MS recent fiscal reporting, and I see why.

/Way OT end

I guess now way OT, but I know a guy who bought a surface (2 I think). I was kinda smitten. It definitely has that Apple "this is cool and really high end" effect to it. It's nice to sometimes see non-Apple products that do well without being a race to the price bottom.

The coolest part was that, it's a tablet, with a attachable keyboard, running full fat windows. So, he can play the full PC version of Call of Duty on his tablet on steam (granted he would have it set up like a laptop to do this anyway). I dont know at what settings, but yeah. It's a little chunky for a tablet, but he claimed Surface 3 is thinner.

Still not sure that for $700+ I wouldn't buy the Amoled Samsung $500 high end tablet instead (that thing's display is fricken gorgeous). Just for me, I will use my PC sitting 15 feet away in the other room for PC stuff, and a tablet is just for mobile websurfing really, so the super thin, pretty, and cheaper Samsung has appeal. But that's just me, as opposed to Shifty.

I guess it just comes to mind in this thread because I guess Surface did pretty well in MS recent fiscal reporting, and I see why.

/Way OT end

Read the reviews on the Surface 3 display. WOW is it pretty, I love mine although for games I use Steam to stream them instead. It just does not do well on the native hardware for games, most apps naturally are fine. It will run photoshop/illustrator rather well for me, so I am happy with that. Have not tried zbrush yet, I guess I should. LOL

"The Surface Pro 3 also has the most accurate on-screen colors of any Tablet or Smartphone display that we have ever measured for the sRGB/Rec.709 Standard that is used in virtually all current consumer content for digital cameras, HDTVs, the internet, and computers, including photos, videos, and movies. Its Color Gamut is 97 percent, very close to the Standard Gamut as shown in this Figure. The Absolute Color Accuracy for the Surface Pro 3 is an Excellent 2.1 JNCD, the most color accurate display that we have ever measured for a Tablet or Smartphone." Link
/End mostly off-topic Surface 3 related post

My wife just walked in, lost track of what I was going to post. Argh!

I have a surface pro 1 and its amazing , the 3 is even better

here are pics between the 2 and 3
surface-pro-3-vs-surface-pro-2-diagonal.jpg
Microsoft-Surface-Pro-2-vs-Surface-2-009-1280x720.jpg

you can really see why they are starting to take off , even the keyboard and kick stand are much better

Surface-Pro-3-Kickstand.png

I'm waiting for the surface after broadwell to buy a new one. My pro 1 has been rock solid and I got it launch day.

It doesn't hamper sales - it hampers their usefulness. A Windows 10 tablet (with Wacom pressure sensitive stylus) will be far more useful to me than my Galaxy Note 10.1, and it's more likely I'll have the option of buying a decent Windows tablet than I'll have a full sweet of non-gimp'd productivity apps on Android. Autodesk's Sketchbook received a recent update and it was frickin' microtransaction based! No idea what the cost to actual enable all the features would be. I'd have no qualms spending £30-50 on proper software, even more more professional software, but Android and iOS tend not to support these. And even if there is a decent package on iOS (better software), it lacks the stylus and non-fat-fingered interface designs. Windows gives exactly the same software I own and use now. ArtRage will be ArtRage Full fat and not ArtRage Cheap-and-nasty. It can't get better than that!

Too heavy.

I'd like something as light as iPad Air 2 (or lighter !), but runs PC/Mac software.

Apple should do a client-server thing between the iPad and a Mac. Or heck, just use a wacom tablet with a PC/Mac.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of surface pro but having watched a review of the 3 I have to say that looks like a really great bit of kit, so much so have read more into things I decided to get a reasonably price pro1 and see how it goes as a trial.

Last edited:
Surface discussion moved here from Sales thread.

Too heavy.
Yeah, I don't like the Surface. My next tablet is going to be an OLED based large Note when that's finally revealed, unless something crazy happens with Windows before then. For Windows, I'm looking for a future with multiple players and a range of tablets to choose from rather than MS's singular option. I don't need desktop PC power in a tablet, but I do want PC functionality. An OLED screen is a must though. I've got to get away from the grey blacks - I just gotta!

Tying this in with XBox, I can't see MS's maneouvres making a difference in the next few years. It'll be longer term when the ecosystem proves itself and its worth that other IHVs will get involved and the options expand. This in turn leaves XB a little isolated IMO. It's a small part of the big picture now, and fairly low priority I expect. It doesn't provide a great angle to grow the Win 10 vision, so I reckon it's just set to simmer.

Surface discussion moved here from Sales thread.

Yeah, I don't like the Surface. My next tablet is going to be an OLED based large Note when that's finally revealed, unless something crazy happens with Windows before then. For Windows, I'm looking for a future with multiple players and a range of tablets to choose from rather than MS's singular option. I don't need desktop PC power in a tablet, but I do want PC functionality. An OLED screen is a must though. I've got to get away from the grey blacks - I just gotta!

Tying this in with XBox, I can't see MS's maneouvres making a difference in the next few years. It'll be longer term when the ecosystem proves itself and its worth that other IHVs will get involved and the options expand. This in turn leaves XB a little isolated IMO. It's a small part of the big picture now, and fairly low priority I expect. It doesn't provide a great angle to grow the Win 10 vision, so I reckon it's just set to simmer.
My next "serious for work and actually useful without having it around all the feakin' time" device is going to be either a Lenovo Yoga or a new Surface, but I am happy with my laptop at the moment. Both the Lenovo Yoga and the Surface offer that mix of transformable portability we all want.

I have a pro 3. Best tab I've ever owned due to PC capabilities. All other tabs are just consumption devices for me, good for internet surfing, watching videos and playing games but little else. However, SP3 still needs a mouse (or a better pen) to enable full PC functionality as the standard pen doesn't seem to be a mouse replacement. Hopes that changes with Win 10.

It doesn't hamper sales - it hampers their usefulness.
I agree. Tablets are the most compromised general computing platform out there but the things they don't do well, or can't do at all, clearly aren't hampering usage to the point of limiting sales. Apple have been selling more iPads than Dell have been selling PCs for a few years.

I would like an iPad I could jot notes on - having tried a few stylii but drawn the line at risking £50-70 for a bluetooth pen because I don't think they're anywhere near good enough for the price. My current fallback is to use a pen and paper and scan notes in and organise them using Evernote - which OCRs them for scanning. It's more than good enough for the time being.

Too heavy.

I'd like something as light as iPad Air 2 (or lighter !), but runs PC/Mac software.

Apple should do a client-server thing between the iPad and a Mac. Or heck, just use a wacom tablet with a PC/Mac.
Surface pro with cherry trail could be up the ally for you. It will be a bit heavier than the ipad air 2 (but will have a bigger screen) and pen support and full windows 10

right now on the apple app store you can search for apps that run on ipads and iphones or ones just for iphones or just for ipads.

I don't see why ms can't do that

In a survey yesterday I let them know the store still really sucks, on both Win 10 and Xbox. What is so odd to me is at times during the 360 beta dash, we would get this really fleshed out store and it would only be up for a few hours and replaced by the normal confusion mess of a store.

One update was probably perfect for the 360, each type of game (arcade, aaa, indie) was in it's own segment. Easy to search and sort. I guess the current 360 version is not far off now though, but what X1 has just does not make any sense.

Anyway, they have an icon on WinStore (8.1 and 10) that represents a universal app. Looks like a tablet with a phone turned landscape next to it. I do not see a way to sort by that feature alone, well the sort categories are not all that swell anyway. I can sort by "top free" games, but then I can't sort those by anything? OK Let's go to best rated games, oops, we can't sort that collection by anything either. Makes me wonder why my projects that I had in progress never got me motivated to complete them. ;) I remember some of the early Win8 store discussions when they were courting developers, and they had these great looking slides and how even google would show this great app search ability. (yep just checked, does not work like showed)

Now I am going to go look for those slides!

Edit: I feel like my post went to the wrong place. ;p

Windows 10 absolutely must have a 'Windows RT' mode to lock it down from malware and other crud. Otherwise MS will just be handing the grandma and education market right over to Chrome. Or let Windows on ARM live..

I would like to see an ARM version of Windows 10 with no desktop for education and consumption. This would eventually be the future as Metro inevitably overtakes Win 32.

Right now, a Cherry trail 10.6 inch Surface with a 'Windows RT' mode would be perfect for my needs.

In a survey yesterday I let them know the store still really sucks, on both Win 10 and Xbox...
That's my major concern regards the Windows future. It'll be all about the execution, and there's not a company out there that can't take a truly fabulous idea with a clear future and make such an arse of it as to kill their chances with the idea for several years. I'll have to wait and see that it works as it should and isn't a mind-numbing headache like some of the utterly bizarre Win 8 choices.

Back