Xbox : What should MS do next? *spawn

Windows 10 absolutely must have a 'Windows RT' mode to lock it down from malware and other crud. Otherwise MS will just be handing the grandma and education market right over to Chrome. Or let Windows on ARM live..

I would like to see an ARM version of Windows 10 with no desktop for education and consumption. This would eventually be the future as Metro inevitably overtakes Win 32.

Right now, a Cherry trail 10.6 inch Surface with a 'Windows RT' mode would be perfect for my needs.

There will be a version of Windows10 for portable devices that runs on ARM. The preview launches later in the year. They're doing desktop first to get all the corporate and enterprise stuff correct.

That's my major concern regards the Windows future. It'll be all about the execution, and there's not a company out there that can't take a truly fabulous idea with a clear future and make such an arse of it as to kill their chances with the idea for several years. I'll have to wait and see that it works as it should and isn't a mind-numbing headache like some of the utterly bizarre Win 8 choices.

THe Windows 10 Insider preview is totally open to anyone. I signed up. You can run it in a VM and give them some feedback. My primary computer is a macbook, so I'm going to dualboot it. I'll be getting the commercial one for gaming when it's available, so I may as well prep for it now and give a little feedback where I can.

THe Windows 10 Insider preview is totally open to anyone. I signed up. You can run it in a VM and give them some feedback. My primary computer is a macbook, so I'm going to dualboot it. I'll be getting the commercial one for gaming when it's available, so I may as well prep for it now and give a little feedback where I can.
I don't have access to Windows 10 beta, but I wonder if you can try Cortana, it's one of the features I find the most interesting in the next Windows OS.

From what I've read, the Cortana assistant was just added to the latest preview version, and it's pretty basic at the moment. I might get Windows10 installed this weekend.

Scott, don't do it!!! Needs a little more time in the oven. Unless of course you're going to put it on something that isn't your daily driver which would be fine. Wasted last weekend on it, so if I can save someone else the same pain, it's worth me trying. :)

Scott, don't do it!!! Needs a little more time in the oven. Unless of course you're going to put it on something that isn't your daily driver which would be fine. Wasted last weekend on it, so if I can save someone else the same pain, it's worth me trying. :)

Why not use a VMDK and boot from that for any alternate Win10 of experiments?

I'm just dualbooting to look at it. I'm not intending to use Windows10 for anything serious. I'll start using it when the commercial release is available.

Slightly OT but MSFT backing of Cyanogen is a really awesome business move.
They start to get it, they are other ways to tackle an opponent than head front, pouring billions and billions in the process.

Yes, Cortana feels a bit like a gimped WinPhone Cortana would feel. Imagine rampancy has set it, and you want stories about pigeons..but you really don't! Or you think, I will say "Cortana open Netflix" - on the phone great, that is what you get. On PC you get searches on Netflix. ;) Yep, early days!

Then there are those memorable times when you want the start menu, only Cortana thinks that she should cover up all the icons so you can't actually use Windows. Reboot and she does it again, just begging you to search for something. Well since she is in the way, just search for that program right? Wrong again...you get bing results. Ahh good times, your personal assistant re-invented-ted.

If Windows 10 release has no significant (positive) effect on the XB1 sales I believe that MSFT will have to do something serious about the XB1. If they don't want to let the early adopters out in the cold they can't provide a better system. MSFT experienced already one internet shit storm this gen that should be enough for them for a good while. So the option left is to compete on price, shrink is not the answer as Sony could do it too. Actually I suspect neither will do as AMD just backed off using 20nm for its products and porting the IPs used in both systems on a completely different process might prove too costly.
The only way to significantly lower the (silicon) price is a complete redesign of the system. Dealing with silicon alone might not be enough to create a commandable price advantage on Sony product, they should remove anything that is not necessary (ports, etc.) even though that won't amount to much.
Other than silicon a good way to lower the price is to pass either on the optical drive and possibly the HDD.
Digital distribution is not for everybody (I won't get OT about why again) but at this point it might be worth a try to MSFT. So it could be an option to release a Box with optical drive. They can't pass on the HDD though but they should make it user replaceable or why further offload the responsibility to the buyer and ship with an empty HDD socket. Both approach are not mutually exclusive. Not something you would try with Nintendo user base for example but if they push a download only platform the interested in customer may appreciate (and have the HDD in spare already).

Baring a significant move I think MSFT will be subsidizing the XB1 for it whole lifespan only to keep it afloat in the US, I can't really see the new CEO be OK with that.

I really depends on what Microsoft knows for sure why it's doing so poorly. Is it truly the hardware? Is it poor public perception? Is there goodwill just negative? What is causing them to lose sales in those regions?

It's something that takes a lot of time to find out, if it's hardware they can just release a high powered Xbox in conjunction with their current model when the next silicon reduction happens. If it's about goodwill, than they need to build back reputation. If it's about the lack of games they need to continue focusing on having better exclusives than the competition.
I don't think any reason is very clear, perhaps it's an entire slew of reasons, but they've made specific moves this year with e3 and the upcoming gamescom to see if it's a games issue, or a goodwill issue. It takes time for this data to come back as well. I don't think Microsoft will be looking at any drastic measures until 2016. A lot might depend on how their sales go after this long stretch of their "best games lineup"

I really depends on what Microsoft knows for sure why it's doing so poorly. Is it truly the hardware? Is it poor public perception? Is there goodwill just negative? What is causing them to lose sales in those regions?

MS problem is world wide sales. They are within 10% of PS4 in North America.

MS has simply not prioritized users outside North America/UK. My native language (danish) isn't supported for voice commands, but I can't even use english voice commands because I have to change region/language settings to UK/english in order to enable it. Doing so disables some of my streaming TV apps (eg. Viaplay) because of region locking !!!

My daughters make the Kinect (and Dance Central) indispensable. Were it not for them, Kinect would have zero value for me.

The solution is lower price and better deals (2-3 games+XB1 bundles)

Cheers

Other than silicon a good way to lower the price is to pass either on the optical drive and possibly the HDD.
Digital distribution is not for everybody (I won't get OT about why again) but at this point it might be worth a try to MSFT. So it could be an option to release a Box with optical drive. They can't pass on the HDD though but they should make it user replaceable or why further offload the responsibility to the buyer and ship with an empty HDD socket. Both approach are not mutually exclusive. Not something you would try with Nintendo user base for example but if they push a download only platform the interested in customer may appreciate (and have the HDD in spare already).

Baring a significant move I think MSFT will be subsidizing the XB1 for it whole lifespan only to keep it afloat in the US, I can't really see the new CEO be OK with that.

But can you drop the HDD? Does the X1 work at all without HDD?

As for a dd only device, how many will buy one? The cost of designing and manufacturing a 2nd sku vs just price drop and take a loss on the normal X1, is also important. Especially when it comes down to production capacity and logistics and of course the possible end-user market "confusion".

This is the billion dollar question. Unless Microsoft can determine precisely why people are buying PS4 over Xbox One, they can't address it. All they can do is try various things with each one likely eating into their margins.

Unfortunately for Microsoft I don't think it's any single one reason they can address. For some it will be price, for others it will be some imagined slight of the original vision, for others the imagined slight by abandoning the original vision, for others the perceived relative performance differential to PS4. For some it'll be a case of their friends already went to PS4 and they will follow. For me, it's really just too damn big. If they make a box with internal PSU around the size of the PS4 I'll buy one. Day one. There's likely a bunch of other reasons as well, the same as the reasons why some chose to buy Xbox One over PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
But can you drop the HDD? Does the X1 work at all without HDD?

They can't.

In a year or two they'll have a 14nm SOC. At that time 256GB flash will reach price parity with 500GB HDDs. They can then do a cooler, smaller and cheaper SKU with no optical drive, 256GB flash (and rely on 3rd party external USB3 HDDs for mass storage)

But then again, so can Sony.

Cheers

They can't.

In a year or two they'll have a 14nm SOC. At that time 256GB flash will reach price parity with 500GB HDDs. They can then do a cooler, smaller and cheaper SKU with no optical drive, 256GB flash (and rely on 3rd party external USB3 HDDs for mass storage)

But then again, so can Sony.

Cheers
How do you know for sure that they will have 14nm SOC? It is a completely different process, the cost of implementing logic on new process gets higher and higher, AMD killed Jaguar cores, and it is likely that GCN 1.x won't get port either. If it happens for MSFT it will happen to Sony which will translate into no significant price advantage for MSFT.
For the SSD 256 GB is not enough, it will fill too fast, it is a bad idea. JPT I don't speak about not making the HDD mandatory but having a SKU that ships without one, completely off-loading the responsibility to the customer.

Back