Xbox Series S [XBSS] [Release November 10 2020]

Really curious how someone got hold of this briefing. Did the media get it prior to this week or did the leaker get hold of the video by some other means.

Supposedly all their media was put onto a Microsoft site that was publicly accessible if you knew where to look kast Monday, thats how the Lockhart details and video got out early. This was probably there too.

Edit: what AzBat posted.

Holy boring reveal Barman!

Yeah, watching it now. I don't see how they expected people to watch all of this. I think we got a better launch. It was a surprise. It wasn't boring. But absolutely fucking sucks that MS couldn't execute properly & keep it from leaking. They should be accountable just as those that leaked it.

Tommy McClain

Naw... that'd lead to the same split shenanigans as XSX but with even less gain. That would be 8GB @ 224GB/s + 4GB @ 112GB/s

Ideal would have been 6x2GB @ 336GB/s (192-bit), 84GB/TFLOP

From what I understand, 4Pro was bandwidth limited between its 218GB/s and 4.2TF (GCN). RDNA2 may be more forgiving with the updated cache hierarchy and greater L2 sizes, but then Zen 2 is going to be hungrier than Jaguar as well. I'm not entirely convinced that consoles this gen aren't bandwidth limited all around.

PS4 was about 95GB/TF.
4Pro & OneX were about 52-54GB/TF
PS5 >44GB/TF
XSX 46GB/TF
PS5 has more L2 cache by CU (compared to XSX) which should alleviate main ram bandwidth uses.

I'm offended by my own offense of people who might be offended by the potentially offensive nature of a non-intentionally offensive press piece.

If MS wanted to truly keep anything secret, they wouldn't have previewed Lockhart back in spring to a select set of journalists like Digital Foundry.

Finished watching it all, all 4 segments, and no new info from what they already have available.

Here is is all 4 pieces of the cancelled press briefing in a single youtube video:

Last edited:
Confirmed...

What if they leaked it to save journalists from having to watch it? LOL

Tommy McClain

Wish someone had warned me first. I don't have the polite company vocabulary (well..at least not without more thought than I am willing to put forth) to describe just how much I hate the faux interview format. Makes it feel even more like someone is blowing smoke where the sun don't shine.

I find it odd that their focus during the Series S video was on 120hz gaming. The device is for people on a budget, it's unlikely that many people buying this will have a TV that's HDMI 2.1 compliant.

Series S and a 4k@120hz TV seem contradictory to me?

MS have purposefully leaked it gradually with more and more information about it (the last info being the worst bits obviously: the memory speed, size and not BC with XBX), in order to prepare the consumers to such a weak next gen machine. It mostly worked.

As many outlets and forumers having theorized that next gen games could easily scale down with 4TF, Zen 2 CPU and SSD (which is perfectly right), this created a good narrative for MS's machine. Well until the last bits of info where some are now realizing (including some devs) that it won't be as easy as expected because of the memory size but the damage was partially controlled by the previous narrative.

I find it odd that their focus during the Series S video was on 120hz gaming. The device is for people on a budget, it's unlikely that many people buying this will have a TV that's HDMI 2.1 compliant.

This is what Liz Hamren, Head of Platform Engineering & Hardware, said in part 2 above...

Liz Hamren said:
We built Xbox Series S to deliver all the core features of next-gen gaming. So that's higher framerates, faster load times & richer more dynamic worlds. And so what we saw in prior generations was that cost was really preventing some gamers from joining early in the generation. And when we looked at trends in silicon & hardware costs in this generation, we saw that weren't going to see the kinds of decreasing costs that we saw in prior generations. And that led us to realize that we could deliver a fully next-gen, more accessible console at the beginning of a generation. And when we were building this we also realized that a number of our customers cared more about framerate than they did about resolution. So we realized we didn't have to require a 4K TV for this console.

Tommy McClain

This is what Liz Hamren, Head of Platform Engineering & Hardware, said in part 2 above...

Tommy McClain

Cost would still prevent it from happening - a fully HDMI 2.1 compliant TV costs ~5x the price of the console. A Series S *alone* does not allow for "next gen" frame rates.

There are going to be people buying the console expecting 120hz on their 1080p TV that won't be getting it. I'd hazard a guess that the promise of 1440p will also likely not be met the majority of the time.

Just because it's technically feasible that these things can happen doesn't mean that they will. Strikes me as misleading for those that don't know better.

All the 1440p talk does smell a bit of "PS3 is a 1080p console" to me, 1080p/120hz is a hell of a promise as is so why put out a hostage to fortune like that?

That's a lot of concern from some non-Xbox guys. Guess we will see how it all turns out.

Tommy McClain

I've owned all Xbox consoles except the third one (exactly the same for PlayStation).

You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 1080p @120 Hz. HDMI 1.3 can do 1080p @120 Hz as well as 2560x1440p @60 Hz. HDMI 2.0 can do 2560x1440p @120 Hz although not all TV manufacturer's support that resolution. XBSS has a max target of 2560x1440p @60 Hz, so any TV from the past 10-14 years that has support for 120 Hz should be fine.

Regards,
SB

I was wondering why MS didn't just go for a digital version of the Series X. That way they could have avoided all this talk about how well the Series S will theoretically perform. But at $299, I guess you can't really complain. Well, I guess you could... but it's clearly a move by MS to get people into the gamepass ecosystem by giving consumers a cheap entry point.

Back