Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of Microsoft liked/could/was forced by PS4 to beef up Durango which possibilities are technicaly more feasible. More Mhz from 800->850->900??? More SDRAM 96-128 Mb???

In the case of Microsoft liked/could/was forced by PS4 to beef up Durango which possibilities are technicaly more feasible. More Mhz from 800->850->900??? More SDRAM 96-128 Mb???

You can't just change the amount of eDRAM (aka 1T SRAM) without a costly respin (new masks, 3-4 months fab throughput for 28nm etc), new package design, new PCB design etc. Unless of course it's a seperate die like Nintendo has done as a SiP or MCM. Still on-chip would be nice ;-)

I don't think they will use DDR3 above 933 MHz (1866) (official specs are even 800 MHz). AMD APUs mobo's can handle e.g. DDR3 2133, but it's basically overclocking. Would effect their return rate I guess.

Micorsoft could do a lot of things, most of which would be expensive and lead to delays in shipping. Yes they can up the speed of the GPU but that will cause other problems, increasing the SDRAM to the size you state would cause all manner of issues and would most certainly lead to delays. I think MS is comfortable where it wants to place Durango, if they are correct or not, only time will tell.

No changes im afraid..maybe some speed bump to the ram and a little to gpu..even that is a long shot.

I think the weapon will be price and kinect boxed.

Considering the rest of the BOM will be similar, camera, controller, hdd, similar TDP, and a larger SOC,
Depending on how MS does this "eSRAM" thing, I still doubt a bit Durango will be smaller. If that designation is exact (i.e. meaning 32MB of 6T-SRAM), it is not too likely that Durango will be smaller at all. Even with 1T-SRAM it's at least 20mm² (from a laymans perspective: if they use 1T-SRAM, in the first place, why not going for 64MB? The differential costs shrink with each additional MB.), something one could also fit 4 CUs in. The whole crossbar and management stuff to be able to access two memory pools will also add a few mm² to the northbridge part of the SoC. Tohether, it largely cancels out the die savings from the fewer CUs. Durango simply uses a more complicated design (assuming the leaks to be largely correct, which I think they are). As long as they don't cheap out on ROPs and frontend or so, we are likely looking at a die size of more than 250mm² on Durango, possibly even 300mm² (if they use real 6T-SRAM). Orbis seen as a straight combination of Pitcairn (212mm²) and 2 Jaguar modules (measuring together 52.4mm² according to an ISSCC presentation of AMD) isn't going to be much larger than that even considering some GCN1.1 extensions, the SMP glue to connect the two modules, the extended northbridge part to connect the CPU to the memory controller and some southbridge stuff to make it a real SoC (one can save the PCI-Express interface and a bit on the display outputs).

The problem is superdae said kotaku we're going to release the new specs and they mearly confirmed what was already known so I don't know why people still bang on about it. The specs are right, Ms either delay and redesign or stick to their original plan and hope their added goodness such as dvr is enough

Last edited by a moderator:

More heat bigger cooler.

Most adjustment done to clock speed is downgrade rather than upgrade,i don't know if it happen with the xbox 360,but with the original xbox did happen,the GPU was downclock after target spec were already given.

The problem is superdae said kotaku we're going to release the new specs and they nearly confirmed what was already known so I don't know why people still bang on about it. The specs are right, Ms either delay and redesign or stick to their original plan and hope their added goodness such as dvr is enough

I don't think they will do either,they would stick to the plan most probably because power wasn't really their north by this specs it was Kinect.

It's common sense as I said months ago the Wii changed everything if your concept is good you don't need the most power to make a lot of money.

Only people having problems with this are those too invested in xbox.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=178324&postcount=1578
That would match with the Info from DaE that the Durango Specs are Old and Microsoft has changed most of them...

That sound like wishful thinking more than anything else,even more when you see that no one got final hardware no developer,it was all dev kits,if we re going by dev kits then the 360 would have been a power PC with a X800.

Is not very easy to change spec like that,and adding more ram is not the same as changing a CPU,GPU or even Ram type,because that probably would involve a change of mother board and even exterior redesign.

What I find very sad is that for many is it easier to cling to hopes and believe in the existence of a "super secret sauce" for Durango that nobody ever saw, rather then accept that Durango is not a bad machine at all.

You can't just change the amount of eDRAM (aka 1T SRAM) without a costly respin (new masks, 3-4 months fab throughput for 28nm etc), new package design, new PCB design etc. Unless of course it's a seperate die like Nintendo has done as a SiP or MCM. Still on-chip would be nice ;-)

I don't think they will use DDR3 above 933 MHz (1866) (official specs are even 800 MHz). AMD APUs mobo's can handle e.g. DDR3 2133, but it's basically overclocking. Would effect their return rate I guess.
For the rumored 68GB/s, they have to be using 2133. If they overclocked the GPU to the same frequency, it would become a 1.6TF part. But it would screw royally with any thermal dissipation designs they've made. I doubt they'll do it.

meh , Durango = cable box/ dvr gaming system and then Xbox next = power house next gen console ?

I don't see it . They would be juggling to many balls in the air at the same time.

of course it can still be possible that the leaks are wrong and the next xbox is more powerfull than rumored.

my bet is that the 2nd "Xbox" is the Surface gaming tablet that was leaked by TheVerge, just like Sony is using Vita for remote play gaming

My bet is that there's no way in hell there is a second Xbox, and that they'll ride out whatever design they have right now, which is probably close to the spec leaks we've seen.

My bet is that there's no way in hell there is a second Xbox, and that they'll ride out whatever design they have right now, which is probably close to the spec leaks we've seen.

I think there are two consoles, but the 'other one' is a really low-cost Roku/ATV competitor, not a more powerful version of this one. There have been news stories about the set-top box unit and i think Paul Thurott said there will be multiple xbox announcements this year.

I think there are two consoles, but the 'other one' is a really low-cost Roku/ATV competitor, not a more powerful version of this one. There have been news stories about the set-top box unit and i think Paul Thurott said there will be multiple xbox announcements this year.

I wonder how this will work out for them.. hopefully its not called XBOX RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back