Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, 16GB would be more believable than 12GB, at least they can use higher density as soon as next year. (not that I believe either) :???:

I actually think 16 GB is much less believable than 12 GB, and I never thought the 12 GB was very probable in the first place.

I'd be extremely shocked if a statement saying that 12 GB wasn't going to happen means they went with 16 GB versus 8 GB.

It's hard enough justifying the lifetime BOM cost of 4 GB of additional DDR3, trying to justify the lifetime console cost of 8 GB of additional DDR3 is significantly higher.

Regards,
SB

Everyday they compress the schedule the more they need to produce per day to make the mark, the more any issue however small would throw them off their numbers, and thus the more potential there being shortages at launch or launch is delayed. It's just cutting it pretty damn tight already at this point.

I love the way Microsoft are drip feeding positive news by that I mean weekly .
Head set in the box a long with a un boxing video .
If they can keep this up they will continue to be talked about far more so than Sony any look on any forum anywhere on the net shows this to be true at the minute .
Mostly positive news .......they seem to have upped there game from a PR point of view.
As for the memory or power of there chip set well its there just look at the videos all over the net .

Well, quite interesting how perceptions differ. IMHO they had a Fukushima event in April/May and whatever good news are trickling out won't make this go away. Nothing I have a problem with changed. See, that's my impression:)

Not shipping units to Japan should help with that.

Oh, you mean the millions of consoles Microsoft sold in Japan? Not really the bet argument to make, mate^^

In 360 and Wiis early days, I've always heard of the "no supply" issues, but in Germany, this wasn't really the case, until after new year. Yet the gaming news talked about little else at the time. Seemed to me like they just send too many consoles here and not enough everywhere else.

Well, quite interesting how perceptions differ. IMHO they had a Fukushima event in April/May and whatever good news are trickling out won't make this go away. Nothing I have a problem with changed. See, that's my impression:)
You mean how their name is still Microsoft and they are still based in the USA? ;)

Everyday they compress the schedule the more they need to produce per day to make the mark, the more any issue however small would throw them off their numbers, and thus the more potential there being shortages at launch or launch is delayed. It's just cutting it pretty damn tight already at this point.

If they already have units in the usa in full retail gear for PR then they already have the factories going and units boxed.

The first 20 most likely came over through the air but in august there is no need to fly in units , they most likely have them start coming in on boat since its far cheaper.

So that gives them 2/3rds of august at least plus all of sep , oct and a few weeks of nov (they can air ship them at that point)

I don't see the problem at all. They should be able to move a few hundred thousand a week easily .

I actually think 16 GB is much less believable than 12 GB, and I never thought the 12 GB was very probable in the first place.

I'd be extremely shocked if a statement saying that 12 GB wasn't going to happen means they went with 16 GB versus 8 GB.

It's hard enough justifying the lifetime BOM cost of 4 GB of additional DDR3, trying to justify the lifetime console cost of 8 GB of additional DDR3 is significantly higher.

Regards,
SB

I believe MrFox said that because swapping higher density modules is far, far easier than put more chips on the back of the board and so on.
Of course Micron doesn't have 8Gb DDR3-2133 chips so XBO would've to be delayed to 2014

16Gb is of possible but not in 2013 so it's not going happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe MrFox said that because swapping higher density modules is far, far easier than put more chips on the back of the board and so on.
Of course Micron doesn't have 8Gb DDR3-2133 chips so XBO would've to be delayed to 2014

16Gb is of possible but not in 2013 so it's not going happen.

I dont think the chips Sony needed to do 8GB PS4 were on any websites either. That probably means little.

Just another speed grade isn't a problem if the chips exist at all.

But I doubt "not 12Gb" means 16GB instead.

The site it's Micron official website with their official product catalogue.
I can't think of a more reliable source than the factory that is providing the chips to MS.

I dont think the chips Sony needed to do 8GB PS4 were on any websites either. That probably means little.
They were in the hynix databook (but not on the website), so was the 5.5gbps speed bin at a friendly 1.35v. It was only sampling in Q4'2012, so the timing was very very close. The Q1'2013 databook changed it's status to Available Now.

So far everything with the XB1 has solidified to currently existing knowledge. They could link the bandwidth of their USB 3.0 ports for external expanding hubs; for immediate function. It sounds like a good alternative to the theory of the "∞ cloud power".

Anyways, i'm surprised to hear that they still insist on claiming that everyone will have a uniform devkit achieving identical quality. I have produced two takes on the claim, One being that the console may have the extra 4 gbs reversed until you plan on developing games; only when is where you'll probably need it.

The other take is that they plan on using the cloud service to get the rest of the functions. the problem with this theory is that whitten never suggested anything about cloud usage or requirements, and stated these features are out of the box.

So far everything with the XB1 has solidified to currently existing knowledge. They could link the bandwidth of their USB 3.0 ports for external expanding hubs; for immediate function. It sounds like a good alternative to the theory of the "∞ cloud power".

Anyways, i'm surprised to hear that they still insist on claiming that everyone will have a uniform devkit achieving identical quality. I have produced two takes on the claim, One being that the console may have the extra 4 gbs reversed until you plan on developing games; only when is where you'll probably need it.

The other take is that they plan on using the cloud service to get the rest of the functions. the problem with this theory is that whitten never suggested anything about cloud usage or requirements, and stated these features are out of the box.

Or it boots into a different environment where normal OS function/feature apps memory is cleared out for debug.

Yeah, or that too. Little is known of the details as to their workarounds or solutions to the footprints for indie devkits. only what has been addressed was identical privileges and functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but little is not like MS shipped millions of units to Japan.:cry:

They didn't ship millions of units anywhere. The US was allocated a bit over 600k for the launch period extending through december. The point being they are going for a more constrained launch which should mean better availability with even the same number of units. However, they didn't start producing 360s till the end of september or something (69 days before launch) so the situation should be much better.

They didn't ship millions of units anywhere. The US was allocated a bit over 600k for the launch period extending through december. The point being they are going for a more constrained launch which should mean better availability with even the same number of units. However, they didn't start producing 360s till the end of september or something (69 days before launch) so the situation should be much better.

I don't think you want to use the xbox 360 rollout as a way to instill confidence :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back