Xbox One: DirectX 11.1+ AMD GPU , PS4: DirectX 11.2+ AMD GPU what's the difference?

Ignore any fluff around OEM boards or not, when I talk about HD 7000 Series I'm talking about the channel products (i.e. the ones that you can pick up off the shelf built by our board partners); these are GCN only. Previous architectures will not get Tiled Resources at all.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/26/m...etailed-graphics-on-xbox-one-and-windows-8-1/

My take is unknown parts of X1 (in some of those 15 coprocessors that are not all accounted for) help with this. Specialized hardware for this feature set that frees up gpu resources. Other parts of x1 do the same thing, Shape frees up the CPU, move engines, etc.

X1 may not be a monster, but it is seemingly elegant vs more of a brute force system.

If I am not wrong that demo was done on Nvidia hardware.
But W8.1 is near, so people smarter than me will sure investigate about DX11.2 misteries.

Whats is "DX 11.2+" other than something AMD and Sony invented.
How did AMD invent some terminology?

Anyway "DirectX" is a Microsoft terminology for Microsoft's API, while a graphics architecture is ostensibly designed to achieve a specific level of DirectX API support on Windows platforms, that specification isn't necessarily all it can do and a target platform that uses another API can chose to expose the capabilities differently. Even with XBOX 360, Xenos would have been around DX9 baseline level on the PC, but had a lot of DX10 like functionality - MS even chose to expose a lot of that functionality that did not map to a particular DX level.

AFAIR it was assumed/proven that:
- XB1 is cape-verde, with some suggestions earlier this year that it was Bonaire.
- PS4 is pitcairn.

I went checking, and found the world's least accurate rumour for the Orbis from June 2012. Steamroller at 3.2Ghz etc...
So, not a trusted source, and even a stopped watch is right twice a day - but this seems a bit of a strange coincidence:
"ATI r10xx (3rd generation) at 800 MHz and 1843 GFLOPS - Codename 'Tahiti'"

Ignore any fluff around OEM boards or not, when I talk about HD 7000 Series I'm talking about the channel products (i.e. the ones that you can pick up off the shelf built by our board partners); these are GCN only. Previous architectures will not get Tiled Resources at all.

Then can you elaborate? I was under the assumption all GCN products supported PRT. I don't understand why the details must be so secretive. I'm not trying to be a jerk (honest), but aren't the hardware (7970), drivers (wddm 1.3), and Windows 8.1 (a beta version but still...) all publicly available? Isn't it a bit late for secrets? ;)

Then can you elaborate? I was under the assumption all GCN products supported PRT. I don't understand why the details must be so secretive. I'm not trying to be a jerk (honest), but aren't the hardware (7970), drivers (wddm 1.3), and Windows 8.1 (a beta version but still...) all publicly available? Isn't it a bit late for secrets? ;)

Basically he is saying rebadged 6000 series cards won't receive PRT support.

Does anyone know the difference between tier1 and tier2?

The vgleaks report on the Durango GPU mentioned it does virtual addressing for tiled resources/partially resident textures. http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-gpu-2/2/ Is that the full requirement for tier2?

Here's a list of the DirectX 11.2 new features. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/bg182880.aspx#five I don't know how that fits into tier1, tier2. Xbox One supports at least a few of those.

Shader based implementation versus a hardware accelerated implementation?

How did AMD invent some terminology?

Anyway "DirectX" is a Microsoft terminology for Microsoft's API, while a graphics architecture is ostensibly designed to achieve a specific level of DirectX API support on Windows platforms, that specification isn't necessarily all it can do and a target platform that uses another API can chose to expose the capabilities differently. Even with XBOX 360, Xenos would have been around DX9 baseline level on the PC, but had a lot of DX10 like functionality - MS even chose to expose a lot of that functionality that did not map to a particular DX level.

MS has a version of DirectX called 11.2+? Its a naming convention employed by Sony (I just threw AMD in because Im wasn't sure where it actually originated). Its basically everything in Direct 11.2 plus "other". Direct X 11.1 or 11.2 may be Microsoft terminology but anybody with Direct X compatible hardware can throw a "+" behind it to highlight vendor specific features not offered within Direct X.

So when Sony says 11.2+ and MS says 11.1+, it doesn't mean Sony supports everything in 11.1+ plus more. Sony could of used 11.1+ also, it wouldn't mean that what warrants Sony to add the "+" is the same as why MS employs the "+". Heck Sony could of used DirectX 11.2^2.

Im just saying we shouldn't conclude that Sony's use 11.2+ is a superset of MS's use of 11.1+ because we can't assume that plain vanilla 11.2 is a superset of 11.1+.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it sounds like perhaps only Bonaire and Tahiti fully support Tier 2? For desktop retail cards.

So if the consoles support Tier 2 then they must be related to Bonaire or Tahiti.

But no one is claiming that PS4 or Xbox One is hardware Tier 2 level DX 11.2, only that they are DX 11.2?

So one or both may or may not support Tier 2?

If we go further and consider that MS is pushing Tier 2 through DX 11.2, then it might be safe to assume that Xbox One has Tier 2. Which only leaves the question of whether or not PS4 is Tier 1 or Tier 2.

Regards,
SB

Based on the Sony presentation slide, it seems that PS4 does use tier 2 tiling. It says ps4 does not require prts to be padded. Am I right, Dave Baumann?

Tahiti & Pitcairn came out year earlier than Bonaire.
So if PS4 is Pitcairn based and XB1 is Bonaire based, then it may have a more recent version of the architecture.

Therefore fully tier 2 dx11.2 hardware implementation on XB1, PS4 tier 1 and software implementation.

Tahiti & Pitcairn came out year earlier than Bonaire.
So if PS4 is Pitcairn based and XB1 is Bonaire based, then it may have a more recent version of the architecture.

Therefore fully tier 2 dx11.2 hardware implementation on XB1, PS4 tier 1 and software implementation.

Bingo. Exactly my thoughts.

Back