Xbox Live Spring Update

Fans still on for me in low-power downloading mode. What exactly is turned off besides the green power on lights?

Edit: And it seems the middle power symbol light doesn't turn off completely either. I just saw it blink.
Low-power mode implies low power, not no power...

Low-power mode implies low power, not no power...
So okay let me rephrase, what goes into 'low-power mode'? I'd imagine the CPU and GPU do but they already do that when not in a game don't they? Have patience with me I'm not well read in the inner workings of gizmos like many of you on this forum.

And why aren't my fans turning off? Waaaaaaa!!!! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Further impressions of the new firmware:

Charging the controller with the console turned off no longer seems possible. Bug?

Turning off the power makes the power light on the consople and TV shut off but the fans continue for a while (half a minute to a few minutes). The fans never ran in the past when charging with power off. Then everything stops and the charging indicator of the controller goes out too and the controller is nowhere near fully charged..

Also:
The fans still go into banshee mode on the dashboard.. GOD DAMMIT!

I thought they did not but I simply hadsn't let the console heat up long enough. I don't understand how they can spin in lowspeed mode while decoding DVDs but not when the CPU is sitting on the dash AND DOING NOTHING.

FFS microsoft. Fix this nonsense already.
Peace.

Also:
The fans still go into banshee mode on the dashboard.. GOD DAMMIT!

I thought they did not but I simply hadsn't let the console heat up long enough. I don't understand how they can spin in lowspeed mode while decoding DVDs but not when the CPU is sitting on the dash AND DOING NOTHING.

Agreed, I thought for sure they were going to make the console near silent when in the dashboard. I like the VGA fix (about time) and the ability to DL and then shut off.

Mine is quiter in dash than it was before the update, but I can still hear it over my HTPC.

As for new features, I'm most pleased with the new 'joinable' icon that pops up in the firends list so we no long have to click on each indivudal name to see if any friend's games have an open slot.

Mine is quiter in dash than it was before the update, but I can still hear it over my HTPC.

As for new features, I'm most pleased with the new 'joinable' icon that pops up in the firends list so we no long have to click on each indivudal name to see if any friend's games have an open slot.

I'm 10 feet from mine in an open air entertainment system so it's not noticeable to me. it used to be in my office 3 feet away, which was a little annoying. ;)

It might take longer now for it to revv up fully but it does eventually unfortunately.

Have you let it sit and "cook" properly? If you turn it on fropm a dead cold and maybe just download some stuff etc it doesn't seem to have time to reach nuclear meltdown temperature or whatever it is that triggers fan banshee mode.

Which is what I did when first trying out the new version. I fetched C&C3 and some other stuff and fans were relatively quiet until I shut the thing off again.

But playing a DVD movie sure was time enough and it was nice and toasty when the movie ended.

As soon as the movie player exited and the dash appeared..fans went uuuuUUUUUUWWWWIIIEEEEEE on me. Sort of anyway.

Pweace.

Mine still gets as loud as it used to and as loud as the one it replaced, durring and after playing games, I was just speaking of it being quiter from a cold boot in the dashboard. And the console is out in the open on a big glass shelf under my display, 8' away.

Mine still gets as loud as it used to and as loud as the one it replaced, durring and after playing games, I was just speaking of it being quiter from a cold boot in the dashboard. And the console is out in the open on a big glass shelf under my display, 8' away.

try having it 3' away... you'll get earplugs. ;)

my PC drowned it out (when it was in my office) most of the time and of course when playing games, my 5.1 makes it impossible to hear ANYthing but in game sounds. :D

Dashboard is lightning quick now with this update.... very smooth and responsive. Also love the Power off upon download completion a lot.

Several very nice touches to this update. :cool:

Oh, the BGA fix makes a huge difference. I'd probably never have known about it until it was posted, but it came in very handy for me - I'd just moved the PAL unit upstairs on a PC LCD panel and had thought it looks horribly washed out, but this fixed it very well. Its a Sony XBlack panel as well, which really does produce nice blacks if its allowed.

I'm happy with the fix, but why did it take 16 months, people have been complaining since the VGA came out (launch?).
I'd post a list of every feature enhancement that did make it in over the past 16 months, but I'm too lazy. Instead, I'll just say, "developers are not an infinite resource."

Back