Xbox GPU cache

Jabjabs

Regular
The question is how big do you think it is, I know their is no official number but I was wondering why you tech head think it could be be in terms of size,speed,latency. I would really like to know.

Thanks in advance if you have anything to say. ;)

The developers know the size of the cache but they aren't at liberty to divulge the info. I believe it is the same quad-cache architecture found in the GF4. It's pretty small though from what I've heard. However, it's insanely fast and has a bandwidth throughput of around 31GB/sec.

Thanks man.

Nobody replyed for a hole day and I just logged on 2 minutes ago, what are the odds that you would turn up and post just then, thanks again.

And may lord sandwhich shine on you!
:D

AFAIR the NV2A's texture cache is configured in a L1/L2 sort of way. The L2 cache is very small and holds the textures in a compressed form. While the L1 cache is bigger but cannot store compressed textures. The the textures are stored in the smaller L2 cache first and then decompressed from the L2 to the bigger L1 to be worked on.

This isn't all confirmed info though, its bits and pieces from devs on this forum and articles (like the one at Extremetech).

Back