• Mobile hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Slim Revision hardware strategy

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • This will be a nothing burger

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • *new* Xbox Games for Mobile Strategy

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • *new* Executive leadership changes (ie: named leaders moves/exits/retires)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wait a minute.

https://www.eurogamer.net/call-of-duty-black-ops-6-wont-be-locked-behind-a-new-xbox-game-pass-tier

I mean, that's true, it's not locked behind a new tier I guess, but.

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

Xbox game pass for console members.
Well that statement spoiled as quickly as milk.
It's true, though. Xbox Gamepass for console isn't going to be available for new subscribers, but if you are on automatic billing, you can continue to be on that plan, and it includes day 1 games.

It's true, though. Xbox Gamepass for console isn't going to be available for new subscribers, but if you are on automatic billing, you can continue to be on that plan, and it includes day 1 games.
I don't think a single person thought of that when they announced it. It's technically true, still sketchy communication.

Yes, they are. Most users were already Ultimate subscribers as I already pointed out, which price has gone up.
Iroboto is talking about a higher price beyond the basic price increase, just as you were. The general price increase isn't the 'outrage' here; the changing of policy regards Day 1 releases is and what your own post was about. Iroboto's point is this change in policy is not pushing the price up for existing GP users.

The Day 1 change is only affecting new subs - new users of GP and those who sub for the short term. The tens of millions of existing subscribers aren't affected by the change. It's similar to Sony changing their game-share policy as it was heavily abused on PS3 with users sharing and creating new accounts for the whole purpose of sharing purchases.

I honestly don’t see an issue here
Largely communication and reporting, again. What you describe is fair, but that's not what people have been told. The whole continuing subscriptions not being affected hasn't been reported on at all.

MS has to change how they communicate with the world. In this case, they needed a very clear, very public announcement, and not Chinese whispers through the gaming press. Too often the devil of the details is lost. This is likely a wider corporate internet thing that all companies need to adapt to, with negative terms being magnified and misrepresented. Well, we know it is. All information is distorted via the internet because there's no time for validation or barriers to re-iteration.

That's pretty on brand for Microsoft in general and Xbox in particular, though, right?
Especially since the acti trials. Sony and Nintendo are like "go f**k yourself, this is how things are" and it's not good but at least they are upfront. Microsoft is "us? We will do things differently!" And then proceed to do the exact same thing, 6 months later.

Iroboto is talking about a higher price beyond the basic price increase, just as you were. The general price increase isn't the 'outrage' here; the changing of policy regards Day 1 releases is and what your own post was about. Iroboto's point is this change in policy is not pushing the price up for existing GP users.

The Day 1 change is only affecting new subs - new users of GP and those who sub for the short term. The tens of millions of existing subscribers aren't affected by the change. It's similar to Sony changing their game-share policy as it was heavily abused on PS3 with users sharing and creating new accounts for the whole purpose of sharing purchases.
FYI I had Gamepass Ultimate since December 2020 and was told I had to pay an extra $3 a month starting September. I cancelled my subscription to be honest and will be getting the $9.99 tier in order to get online multiplayer. I will also just buy games every now and then from deals on the gamestore.

DF talking about Xbox's cloud gaming campaign with the Amazon firestick. They highlight how much its plagued by issues although there are some outliers such as Forza Horizon, the vast majority of titles suffer from latency issues amongst others problems. It seems like they are jumping the gun with this one from a business strategy perspective. As well this marketing obviously affects their console sales since they're telling consumers you dont need an Xbox while still not providing a compelling cloud gaming product.

Yea my bad, I didn't see that the Ultimate sub price increase is only for new users as well. Dont know why they specific the third line for Gamepass for Console only, talking about automatic renewal. Strange.

Yea my bad, I didn't see that the Ultimate sub price increase is only for new users as well. Dont know why they specific the third line for Gamepass for Console only, talking about automatic renewal. Strange.
I had ultimate since 2020 and there was a price increase for me as well.

Only for select countries was there a price increase. For the majority of the Xbox player base, the US, there was not.
How did they choose this, I live in the US. Got my gamepass subscription since December 2020. Its a bit odd. If they eventually start releasing hitters regularly then I'll resubscribe but the first 4 years havent been worth it for me, I could have kept it if the price had remained the same but it doesnt make sense for me to keep it right now. I'll wait until they deliver the titles and if they're good I'll resubscribe or buy them outright

How did they choose this, I live in the US. Got my gamepass subscription since December 2020. Its a bit odd. If they eventually start releasing hitters regularly then I'll resubscribe but the first 4 years havent been worth it for me, I could have kept it if the price had remained the same but it doesnt make sense for me to keep it right now. I'll wait until they deliver the titles and if they're good I'll resubscribe or buy them outright
These are the only price changes as listed by MS. Not sure why you got that email. The only thing I can think of is that you were on a promotional rate for GPU and that when expired you are returning to the regular value of GPU. The additional points on top of the base cost should be for new members. I will check around for more info, but this is the only price point documentation MS has.

And… the possible kicker

• Members who are already subscribed to Game Pass for Console and have automatic payment renewal enabled will be able to continue to enjoy their membership.
So if you shut it off that checkbox, then this is why.

Last edited:
These are the only price changes as listed by MS. Not sure why you got that email. The only thing I can think of is that you were on a promotional rate for GPU and that when expired you are returning to the regular value of GPU. The additional points on top of the base cost should be for new members. I will check around for more info, but this is the only price point documentation MS has.

And… the possible kicker

• Members who are already subscribed to Game Pass for Console and have automatic payment renewal enabled will be able to continue to enjoy their membership.

I have 12.99Euro/month from 22.1.2025 for Ultimate in my account but to be fair I consider that information bogus and expect them to change this to the new price.

And… the possible kicker

Yeah this is odd. Because as far as I can remember I have been paying $16.99. I think I got the first 4 months free from December 2020 up to around March 2021, but after that I have always paid full price for Ultimate. Quite odd they considered me a new member. Despite being a paying member for the past 4 years. Otherwise I'll wait and see their output, if its good then I'll resubscribe.

Microsoft insist in their "No Console required" controversial strategy, now selling a Xbox gamepad along with Fire TV Stick.

xbox-fire-tv-stick-game-pass-3742471.jpg

Microsoft integrates Nvidia’s GeForce Now into its Xbox game pages
Microsoft is integrating Nvidia’s GeForce Now service into its store pages for Xbox games. The integration will allow you to pick between either Xbox Cloud Gaming or Nvidia’s GeForce Now service when you view a game listing on the web.
The article isn't really clear if it's only Gamepass games that can be streamed, or if games that you own from other storefronts would be made available as well.

Microsoft insist in their "No Console required" controversial strategy, now selling a Xbox gamepad along with Fire TV Stick.

xbox-fire-tv-stick-game-pass-3742471.jpg
Nothing controversial here. Console players have a maximum size. PC players have a maximum size. Now they want to grow their streaming / mobile base

Back