xbox 360 specs (unofficial, but believable)

version said:
The other contains the 360, controller(s?), remote, and the HDD (with extra content). We couldn't get a comment on the chance of this package having the camera bundled. This will retail for the bargin, and fairly uninspired, price of $360 USD.

See what they did there? Xbox 360, $360. Cute.

360$ sounds pretty sweet deal to me.

Teasy said:
I don't think anyone hear has ever estimated anywhere close to 7 billion in losses for XBox. What crazy forums have you been hanging out on xbdestroya? :) I think most hear thought it was around 4 billion by now.

Hey, I was a couple billion too high, you were a billion or so too low - we all hang out at crazy forums at the end of the day. :)

A 40 GB drive being big enough to serve as storage for HDTV recordings?

Not so sure about that. Comcast offers HDTV PVRs with 160 GB drives I think and they only get about 10-20 hours. Of course MS could use VC-1 but you'd have to use 1/10th the bitrate to store a comparable amount of recordings.

ATSC tuners are not that cheap yet, not to mention QAM tuners or tuners which will record from satellite.

Plus VC-1 compression in software will chew up a lot of CPU. Probably enough to affect game performance?

Would you be able to record "24" in HDTV resolution (in this case 720p) and play Halo3 at the same time?

The pricing would be very attractive, a $360 box to record HDTV video as well as play games. Hell, I'd pay that much just for the HDTV recording capabilities alone.

Maybe the only way to do it is to stream HDTV video from an MCE. The WSJ article said the MCE extender functionality would be built-in. Would playing a stream from an MCE use the CPU? Or could it be that once captured/encoded by the MCE, decompressing the streams would require a fraction of the CPU needed to compress?

God! for the last time, it was 2 billion spent on live and the Xbox, not 2 billion spent on xbox live by itself.

Qroach said:
God! for the last time, it was 2 billion spent on live and the Xbox, not 2 billion spent on xbox live by itself.

LOL, ok sorry QRoach - chill out man! :) And you KNOW it won't be the last time. ;)

Anyway doesn't change my point that the upkeep for Live is not what's costing them the billions.

Intel17 said:
So...do you guys think these specs will rape any PC out at the time of its release?

Well, straight spec-wise, no I don't think so.

I'm sure you'll find some dude out there running dual Athlon X2's with either ATI or NVidia's best cards in SLI (or ATI's equivelent) with 2 gigs of RAM.

But, just one of those graphics cards will cost more than the entire 360, something to keep in mind. ;)

Intel17;

why even compare it with PC technology if they can't keep up on the software side (they're not running software that's optimized to run on one hardware only). Also, keep in mind that PCs have to hold more because they also target much higher resolutions (and along the way, they're also much less efficiant too).

Personally, I think the CPU of the Xbox360 could do things that will be unmatched by PCs for a very long time...

Xbox360's cpu requires specific optimisations to outperform regular PCs, it's just the path they took - generic code won't work so well. This is kind of obvious, what with 3 cores, and any changes they made to make it more a "gaming" CPU than a general purpose one (i.e. removing certain features so they could add other ones, up the clock speed, etc). This was also the same with the PS2, which is why so many launch titles didn't run that well (almost totally ignored the VUs). For a well optimised game though, Xbox360 will far outpace what will be available on PC at its launch. 512Mb RAM will be heaps too - the 32Mb PS2 was outpacing 128mb+ PCs when it came out. :)

Oh yeah, and Xbox360 resolutions will equal or exceed PC game resolutions :)

mech said:
Oh yeah, and Xbox360 resolutions will equal or exceed PC game resolutions :)

Xbox 360 games will run at 720p, i.e. 1280x720. I run all my PC games higher than that now...
________
Teen vid

Last edited by a moderator:
mech said:
512Mb RAM will be heaps too - the 32Mb PS2 was outpacing 128mb+ PCs when it came out. :)

512mb heaps? I really don't think so. Here's what unrealtechnology.com mentions for UE3 games:

We are authoring most character and world normal maps and texture maps at 2048x2048 resolution. We feel this is a good target for games running on mid-range PC's in the 2006 timeframe. Next-generation consoles may require reducing texture resolution by 2X, and low-end PC's up to 4X, depending on texture count and scene complexity.

Anyway, apparently Apple was ticked off at IBM's seemingly inability to produce higher clocked PPC and yet MS is sporting a tri-core CPU with almost 1ghz above the high-end G5?

Like everyone else in the world I was hoping for more speed on the GPU and a PPU to help match the PS3 we all want more. In the end it won't matter for me I'll pick up my Xbox360 launch day. Lets be honest only a complete xbox fan would expect the xbox 360 to match specs with the PS3. Sony is willing to spend and loose so much per console that even microsoft is unwilling to match. The most powerfull console has not won a generation that I can remember. I don't even think that even people at MS were hoping to win this generation any way. I am sure they are just looking to make some money and chip away at the giant sony.

quest55720 said:
Like everyone else in the world I was hoping for more speed on the GPU and a PPU to help match the PS3 we all want more. In the end it won't matter for me I'll pick up my Xbox360 launch day. Lets be honest only a complete xbox fan would expect the xbox 360 to match specs with the PS3. Sony is willing to spend and loose so much per console that even microsoft is unwilling to match. The most powerfull console has not won a generation that I can remember. I don't even think that even people at MS were hoping to win this generation any way. I am sure they are just looking to make some money and chip away at the giant sony.

I agree.. i'm actually disappointed if these`specs are real...

Does this kind of detail leaking right now suggest we're going to see something more substantial than gee whiz visuals either on May 12 or E3? Some "Tech Preview" pieces maybe, at some of the major sites?

wco81 said:
A 40 GB drive being big enough to serve as storage for HDTV recordings?

Not so sure about that. Comcast offers HDTV PVRs with 160 GB drives I think and they only get about 10-20 hours. Of course MS could use VC-1 but you'd have to use 1/10th the bitrate to store a comparable amount of recordings.

ATSC tuners are not that cheap yet, not to mention QAM tuners or tuners which will record from satellite.

Plus VC-1 compression in software will chew up a lot of CPU. Probably enough to affect game performance?

Would you be able to record "24" in HDTV resolution (in this case 720p) and play Halo3 at the same time?

The pricing would be very attractive, a $360 box to record HDTV video as well as play games. Hell, I'd pay that much just for the HDTV recording capabilities alone.

Maybe the only way to do it is to stream HDTV video from an MCE. The WSJ article said the MCE extender functionality would be built-in. Would playing a stream from an MCE use the CPU? Or could it be that once captured/encoded by the MCE, decompressing the streams would require a fraction of the CPU needed to compress?

Forget about DVR capabilities. Xbox360 wont have this.

blakjedi said:
quest55720 said:

I agree.. i'm actually disappointed if these`specs are real...

I would say I am disapointed just like I am disapointed with every system spec. I always want more I guess I am greedy. Now I just have to invest in a decent HD tv to get the most out of my Xbox 360. Lets be honest the 360 specs could be double what they are and sony would still beat them because they don't flinch at loosing money. Sony spends billions on R&D and Fabs and is willing to loose hundreds per console for the first years. There is not another company willing to risk so much money. If the 360 can be 75% of the PS3 I think MS did a did a hell of a job.

does sony loose more money, I know they might this round but I don't think they lost as much as microsoft did with the xbox with the ps2, they are going to make alot of money off the R+D besides playstation because the cell is going to be used in other products I think they had that in mind from the start.

The PS3 might be 25% faster than the xbox360 on paper but I doubt it will be anywhere near that high in real world performance the cell sounds nice but they haven't blown me away yet I think all the consoles are going to be neck and neck it going to come down to the best features

Despite all the recent tidbits on the 360's specs, I'm really waiting for some quality in-game screenshots/movies/demos until I compare it to this generation.

Looking at some of the most recent images the original xBox is putting up is a real reminder; what the developers are squeezing out of that GeForce3 is nothing short of astounding. So I'm very interested in what visuals this 360 is capable of. We can speculate all we want about the potential bandwidth and processing power, but if the developers don't utilize it, then there's no point. Are there any really good images from this thing yet, or do we have to wait till E3?

I dunno, just some thoughts...

Back