XBox 360 Price Cut/60GB model*

Those pics show the PSU claiming it draws 4.7A at ~110V, instead of the more logical 1.7A (that would match up with 175W output). Pretty ridiculous typo.

Okay as some of you know from reading my posts I have now a 60 gig xbox 360 and a 20 gig launch unit. I ordered the killowatt device posted earlier to tell the power draw they both have. I also ordered a temp gun but its not in yet.

Both of these systems are running gears of war for a half an hour before I looked at the power usage.

xbox 360 60 gig

112.4 volt
1.52 amps
101 watts

xbox 360 20 gig

112.4 volt
2.40 amps
160 watts

The new 360 is much cooler to the touch. I will try and hopefully get temp measurements from the systems also. However if i don't get the gun before the 10th I will trade in my 360. $30 coupon at gamestop runs out then.

Duck Tales season 1 playback

xbox 360 60 gig

110 volts
1.25 amps
81 watts

xbox 360 20 gig

1.72 Amp
111 watts

I will add the 60 gig in a bit. I have to play the first eps on both before i report. Its interesting to note that while the disc is spining on the dvd it uses 7more watts though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, according to the photos, there was no chip area reduction for Xenos. The major difference was the move to higher density RAM chips, which will reduce power consumption to some degree.

If it was a launch unit, no.

So this might be the difference between a pre-falcon and falcon, is all.

You can easily find watt data for the "Falcon" is in the range of 140 watts for in-game and lunch units are in the 170 watts range, these mesures are from a PAL system so atleast a 220 V minimun (in France we're now in the 240-250 V range for less leaks transport, official raison).

MS has announced the UK will get the 60GB for 199.99 pound sterling Aug 15. Which was the price of the old 20GB.

This might be a sign that the ArsTechnica rumor of a price drop to $299.99 for the 60GB in early Sept may be true.

Apparantly fake. If you read the Xbox scene thread about it, it's simply a store level editable screen that somebody can input any price in, basically.

yea. there was another one at VGCharts too. who knows if it's also fake

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1618

8688600aaa.jpg

Mod Formatted:
Code:
DVD playback (Ducktales DVD)
            Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   148W    149   .99
360 60GB    110     1.25    81W    138   .59
360 20GB    110?    1.72   111W    189?  .59 

Gaming (PS3 Resistance, 360 Gears of War)
            Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   142W    149   .95
360 60GB    112.4   1.52   101W    171   .59
360 20GB    112.4   2.40   160W    270   .59

Folding
                               Watts
PS3 40GB                       157
PS3 40GB (w/screen saver)      132

eastmen's OP:
Code:
ps3 40 gig unit

ducktales dvd

117.3 volts
1.27amps
148 watts

Resistance
142wats

Folding

157watts
132 watts with screen saver on.

xbox 360 numbers reposted

xbox 360 60 gig 

112.4 volt
1.52 amps
101 watts

xbox 360 20 gig

112.4 volt
2.40 amps
160 watt

Duck Tales season 1 playback

xbox 360 60 gig

110 volts
1.25 amps
81 watts

xbox 360 20 gig 

1.72 Amp
111 watts

Here are some temps 

ps3 60 gig unit 1 hour of folding (screen saver off)

49.1c

xbox 360 60 gig in dashboard 

30.8c

xbox 360 60 gig playing gears for 1 hour

Switching on the fan base for the 360 with gears for 1 hour

I took the liberty of editing this skyscraper of a post. I put your post into the second code box, and a more legible edit in the first. (Easy on the Enter key, tiger.) [strike]There are big discrepancies with your 360 figures. Your wattages don't follow from your amperages and voltages, e.g., 110V * 1.25A is much higher than 85W.[/strike] Sorry, forgot about VA and power factor. I've changed my presumptions into VA and added PF, per Al's correction. As long as I'm monkeying around here, I might as well ask from where you took your temps (the exhaust?). --Mod (Pete)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a Kill a watt p3 for the electrical readings. For the temp, I placed the sensor at the hottest point of the console. For the ps3 its at the rear vents next to the serial codes. For the 360 its about 2inchs from the power plug right as the rear of the console starts to curve inward. I also started a thread on this as per Alstrong's sugestion. It can be found here. I was going to update this thread with those numbers to make it neater but you beat me to the punch

Well, goll-eee. I've been looking at my Killawatt all this time without realizing it was accounting for the PF in its wattage--or, more accurately, that its wattage wasn't its VA. Thanks, Al.

Sorry about assuming your figures were wrong, eastmen, and thanks for them. I'll correct my "corrections" and try to avoid treading on your posts in the future, no matter how much whitespace you put in 'em. ;)

I guess it'd make sense the 360 wouldn't care about PF too much if its PSUs were aimed at the USA, considering (and my guess may get me in trouble again) that the typical American residential customer pays per W, not per VA. I wonder if this is different in Europe/Japan/elsewhere, and if the 360 uses different PSUs (with active PF) accordingly.

Well, goll-eee. I've been looking at my Killawatt all this time without realizing it was accounting for the PF in its wattage--or, more accurately, that its wattage wasn't its VA. Thanks, Al.

Sorry about assuming your figures were wrong, eastmen, and thanks for them. I'll correct my "corrections" and try to avoid treading on your posts in the future, no matter how much whitespace you put in 'em. ;)

I guess it'd make sense the 360 wouldn't care about PF too much if its PSUs were aimed at the USA, considering (and my guess may get me in trouble again) that the typical American residential customer pays per W, not per VA. I wonder if this is different in Europe/Japan/elsewhere, and if the 360 uses different PSUs (with active PF) accordingly.

No please tread on them. I have no clue when it comes to power measurements so I much rather do it twice than have it wrong on the forum.

http://blogs.theage.com.au/screenplay/archives//010260.html

The Arcade is outselling the Pro 360 in Australia following the price drop. They've said that they sold a comparable amount during last month to what they did over the huge Christmas numbers.

This is something that has been discussed a lot around these boards. I know many people deem the "Core" a failure around here, however it has always been a long-term strategy. HDD price scaling never allowed MS to drop the Xbox 1's price to a very low price point without losing a big pile of money, and the HDD-less SKU seems to be letting them get it down very quickly.

I'd love to see sales numbers of each SKU month on month stacked by region. As most of us expected, the "cut-down" SKU isn't something that would sell early on to the more hardcore crowd, but the rest of the market is something else entirely. As the price drops more and more to the "mainstream" audience level (which made the PS2 the success it was) I think the cheap SKU is going to be a huge success for MS.

Back