Xbox 360: Focus shifts from Japan to Europe?

Well, if there's going to be a game you lynchpin a regional strategy to, Halo 3 seems like the perfect choice. I imagine that targeting Europe will work out better for them than Japan (obviously). It'll be interesting to see if ultimately they come out ahead of Sony or not in the territory by gens end.

Yes, it is very interesting. The reason why Microsoft focussed so hard on Japan, is because for European gamers, getting the Japanese games on the PS2 was an important factor for not getting a 360. Now that Japan seems to be lost for the 360 for now, the typical Japanese games will always be targeted at the Wii and PS3 again.

The biggest difference that is helping Microsoft so far is that the Japanese developers are also looking towards the West, and designing games for Western tastes. And when they do so, for now it is interesting for them to do so for the 360. This would make the issue slightly less relevant, because more Japanese developers will target the 360 when they think their games are interesting for the Western market. Also, in general, the influence of Japanese developers seems to have been going down recently (though I think it's stable again now, or maybe even going back up)

But on the other hand, this may result in a limited type of Japanese games coming to the West, that aren't actually that Japanese. Also, in this generation importing say, PS3 games from Japan is easier than ever, as there is currently no more region locking on games (at least when you use HD).

So right now Microsoft's strategy will be, as widely anticipated, to try and win Europe, and when the U.S. and Europe are dominated by Microsoft, Microsoft hopes to either make enough money from that alone (;) ) and/or hopes for that to sway the Japanese market through the developers more often creating 360 versions, irrespective of whether they are targeting the Japanese market or the Western market.

Halo 3 marketing is very big here in Europe, that much is very obvious. However, I'm not yet convinced how Halo is going to win the European market though. Soccer games and racing games on the other hand ... and in that respect the 360 seems to be doing quite well, though not having the FIFA demo out in Europe must be a bit of a blow at least (but now at least they seem to have the PES demo out).

It's a tough battle, but that's just the way I like it. Good times for gamers all round. I'm happy with the PS3 and it's doing very well, and as a small bonus I got offered a really cheap 360 from a colleague who won one in Germany, so I can check how Microsoft is progressing here in Europe (in terms of offering content, quality of games, and such) as well.

For now, I think the 360's biggest weakness remains in the casual games area. It's biggest strength is probably online and price, but the combination of those two may cancel that out if they're not careful. The big advantage they may have is that casual games are going more mainstream - Rock Band may make up for SingStar if it's good enough. But so far, the PS3 is still looking better in that area, which is an important one in Europe as far as I can tell.

For now, I think the 360's biggest weakness remains in the casual games area.

Good post.

On this point I think both Sony and MS will see a big expansion in the Casual, Mainstream, Kiddie, and Experimental games sections when they hit mainstream pricing.

Currently, both are at hardcore pricing levels, so they should be focused on hardcore gamers tastes.

When their pricing allows a casual gamer (or kid) to pick one up without worrying too much about price, I expect the games diversity to expand greatly on both.

As for EU tastes:
Soccer (futball/football)
Driving/Racing
Singing

MS has these covered quite well. Only one I would give an advantage to is Singstar, but I'm not exactly an expert on that matter.

Driving games are available on xb360 and many of them very high quality. GT is GT of course, but Forza is no slouch in comparison.

I think the biggest roadblock for any company offering a viable alternative to an established player in any market is to answer all the checkmarks reasonably (racing games - check, soccer - check, karaoke - check). If that can be done and offered at a lower price, it should be able to compete. The rest is up to the marketing department.

Just today walked by a Halo 3 poster on the side of a communist-era movie-house. I think that's where they'll hold the launch event.

One advantage in this area that the PS3 has, and that maybe not everyone realises right now, is that games like Buzz and Singstar for PS2 work perfectly on the PS3 without any changes. Same for a few other peripherals, like EyeToy, and most of the driving wheels out there. That's a big advantage for PS2 owners. Personally, I even bought Buzz after I got the PS3, simply because it's a great game and its stylised looks are pretty good.

The Halo 3 launch over here in the Netherlands is handled just like a high-profile movie premiere, in the Tuschinski theatre in Amsterdam. Also I've been hearing big Halo 3 promotions on the radio all week, every hour.

How are they aiming to win Europe? Are the planning some diverse software and investing in developers, or are they just hoping to sell XB360's current console and line-up with marketing? If the latter, I can't see they'll get very far. MS need to be more aggressive in their software policy, getting EU devs to create EU games. They don't appear to be doing much in that respect though. XNA could be a big movement if they enable EU indies to produce titles across the glut of tastes and interests you get in the EU.

Shifty, strategies take time. If this press release came out today, you can't expect an overhaul tomorrow but I'm sure within "strategy" your questions were brought up and addressed. Similar to how when their focus was on Japan, they got out game like Blue Dragon, Trusty Bell, Lost Odessy and the couple more they announced at TGS.

Great post Arwin.

I think this is a very smart move for MS, and great timing. By concentrating on Japan for the first two years, they have established much stronger support from Japanese developers (New IP from SqEnix!?) and diversified their lineup greatly.

Now they can shift into making a true push for EU.

How are they aiming to win Europe? Are the planning some diverse software and investing in developers, or are they just hoping to sell XB360's current console and line-up with marketing? If the latter, I can't see they'll get very far. MS need to be more aggressive in their software policy, getting EU devs to create EU games. They don't appear to be doing much in that respect though. XNA could be a big movement if they enable EU indies to produce titles across the glut of tastes and interests you get in the EU.

Because EU games top the charts in EU? I really don't think that's the case.

Strong localization and marketing is probably their strategy, combined with low prices and their global strategy of increasing their casual appeal, I think they'll do very well. Their currently lineup seems remarkebly well suited for the EU marketplace already: Racing games, footbal games, quality JRPG's, quality WRPG's, FPS's, and traditional big hitters like GTA, Halo and Resident Evil.

For a little context, here are the top 20 or so PS2 titles in EU according to vgchartz:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (6.58 million)
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Gran Turismo 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Need for Speed: Underground 2
Need for Speed: Underground
Medal Of Honour Frontline
FIFA 06
FIFA 2005
FIFA 07
Driver Infogrames
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (WE10)
FIFA 2004
FIFA 2003
Eye Toy: Play
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (WE9)
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Medal Of Honour Rising Sun
Simpsons: Hit and Run
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (WE8)
Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (2.36million)

Few of those franchises will remain exclusive to PS3; that's your point, right?

Well, I was responding to Shifty's comment that they need to "diverse software and invest in developers", and get European titles.

But when you look at the console software sales, EU is dominated by mainly hardcore western titles. Which 360 has in spades.

Basically, the top 20 for EU consists of 6 franchises:
Grand Theft Auto
Gran Turismo
Need for Speed
FIFA/Pro Evo
Medal of Honour

I don't see any reason why MS's current/upcoming software lineup would not be appealing to EU with the correct marketing.

For a little context, here are the top 20 or so PS2 titles in EU according to vgchartz:

Driving, action, shooters and soccer.... not exactly the bastion of "casual". :)

agreed

I think this announcement signals (finally) a focused marketing effort for an already strong library... and an enormous choice in driving games.

Back