Xabre600 review

MY god, it looks TERRIBLE.
IF that review is anything to go by, I'd like to see QUALITY level comparisons between it and say, radeon 9000.
I wonder how the 2 stack up if you reduce the LOD to where the Radeon looks as bead as the Xabre?

The conclusion is kind of funny, they mention how well the software vertex shaders scale with the CPU power and that with a 3GHz P4 you'll get good performance from them - heck who on this planet is gonna pay shitloads of dough for a 3GHz P4 and then pick up a Xabre to make it really shine? :LOL:
Statements like these seriously miss the point IMHO, the potential Xabre customers are more likely to shop for a value CPU in the sub 2GHz area and there the software vertex shader is quite far behind the competition...
I won't comment on the IQ and drivers, the reviews say it all. Its still a decent comeback and I'm looking forward to see what SIS can come up with next. Hopefully they'll be a bit less enthusiastic with their marketing names and more thorough with their drivers and chip design, their marketing people make Nvidia's seem humble and creative in comparison. ;)

Dear god... those screenshots look closer to UT than UT2003. Even if the thing could render DOOM3 faster than a NV30, I wouldn't touch something with such poor texture quality. Default texture filtering seems to be forced Crapilinearâ„¢ with massive LOD crappification... ugh.

Adding insult to injury, changing the texture quality from "God-Awful" to "merely crappy" causes performance to drop by an amazing amount! Its as if the Xabre's trilinear filtering suffers from the same performance hit as the GeForce4's anisotropic.

Also, the benchmarks are done on a 3.06 GHz Pentium IV, but I doubt a Xabre buyer would have such a high end CPU. More likely, he will have a crappier CPU, and as SiS's own boasts about CPU scaling show, that should cause the Xabre's performance to drop dramatically.

Sure, the Xabre has reasonable framerate/performance ratio with "turbo textures 3" setting... but I could just as easily set a Radeon9000 to bilinear sampling, massive positive LOD bias, and turn off a bunch of sprites and lighting effects to get much better framerates. The Xabre also seems to be doing more of the "quake/quack" thing that got Radeons into a lot of trouble. Blek. The Xabre is one videocard I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

gollum,

It may be funny but I didn't want to come down too hard on them and that was about the nicest thing I could come up with :(

There were other things that I didn't want to put in the review, e.g. Failure to draw in 3DS Max (just used as a standard rendering application) but I figured that nobody would really go for the Xabre in a workstation environment, particularly with 3DS Max that thrives on the capabilities of the graphics adapter. What is further interesting is the review on

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/xabre/xabre1.html

and the alleged driver optimizations for 3DMark2001SE... I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure why that one looks pretty good and everything else rather crappy.

Best Regards

Michael
LostCircuits

Back