Xabre based video cards

I don't recall nVidia saying that at all, Randell. The closest I remember a rep from nVidia stating to that was, "Coming this fall, you're either DX9, or you're not." Which, of course, was to imply that some other manufacturers weren't going to make as advanced of processors as the NV30.

For example, we know for a fact that the nVidia CEO last spring claimed that the NV30 would launch this August. Obviously, that didn't happen. And who the hell knows what the deal is with NV30 tape-out, given two seemingly contradictory CEO "official" statements on it.

I don't remember that...though I do remember some other things specifically, including:

"By the end of this year, we'll be able to do the Final Fantasy scene that the GeForce4 did in realtime with full details." (paraphrased, of course...but the thing I remember specifically was the "by the end of this year" part...)

"NV30 will be on time" This one's been repeated a number of times, even after it became obvious that the NV30 wouldn't make it for nVidia's standard fall launch dates (August-October), which might make one think that the NV30 hasn't been delayed as much as some have suspected.

Regardless, you're still going down a very slippery-slope. That is, just because the CEO was wrong about the launch date once (I'd really like to see a link on that, btw...) doesn't mean he's wrong again. These things do not follow. It is most certainly in Huang's best interests to put out a fair and accurate estimate of current status of engineering, to the best of his ability, to his shareholders. Continually placing estimates that are too optimistic will, in the long run, erode confidence and devalue the company.

That, and this is sort of unexplored territory for nVidia. They've never released a product (or planned to release...) this late in the year.

And, finally, if tapeout indeed just occurred, then a worst-case scenario (based on nVidia's past execution record) would place the NV30 at an early January release.

Chalnoth said:
"NV30 will be on time" This one's been repeated a number of times, even after it became obvious that the NV30 wouldn't make it for nVidia's standard fall launch dates (August-October), which might make one think that the NV30 hasn't been delayed as much as some have suspected.

I'd just like to point out, that it's hard to be "late" when you never actually specified a launch date. So, I really don't think "NV30 will be on time" tells us anything at all.

Chalnoth said:
And, finally, if tapeout indeed just occurred, then a worst-case scenario (based on nVidia's past execution record) would place the NV30 at an early January release.

Agreed. But also keep in mind the difference between their best and worst tape-out times is pretty small. At worst we'll see it in January, but at best we'll see it in mid-December (and that's going by the 98 day tape out for the TNT2 which is somewhat unrealistic, IMO). The point is it doesn't really make a world of difference when it will be available, except we can be sure it won't be available any time soon. December is still 3 months away. :(

I just hope it really has taped out this time, and it's not another one of those BS rumors (or better yet taped out a few weeks back, although I kind of consider that unlikely too based on the CEO's statements).

Jeez, Chalnoth, talk about deluded. "My videocard company, right or, well, they are never wrong!" You act like they are God! nVidia can never do anything wrong, infidels! Well, I guess you can label me a cyberpagan for not nessasarily believing.......anything. Who was it that said "never believe anything you read, and only half of what you see(in real life, not on a CRT, dummy!). " OOPs, guess I've broken the 2nd commandment....THOU SHALL NOT PUT ANY OTHER GODS BEFORE..... NVIDIA! :rolleyes:

I really think you need to realize that nVidia is a....um....business, nothing more. nVidia (or ATI) doesn't care about you, won't ever help you when you are in trouble, won't support the wife and kids if you die ....unless you paid for the company insurance! :D While they may answer a prayer - not nessasarily in a timely fashion - believe me when I tell you they are not GOD! They only care about your money....and your total, blind unwavering love, loyality and support for them forever....um, wait a moment.....well, maybe they are God......or at least a small demigod..... :eek:

ok I could try to find the back issue of a magazine or web page interview, but when ATI made the bold claim they would be first with a DX9 product back in the spring, the very next nVidia interview I read said 'dont worry it will be us'. I'm sure it was in somewhere like PCZone mag in the UK.

Back