X-Box hacker interview

archie4oz said:
So what is the actual latency?

Max row access is 45ns, a transfer of 2 bytes per/beat (1.25ns) or a qword (16 bytes) every 10ns, and it takes 4 bus cycles (8 CPU) to fill a cacheline (4 qwords)...

I suspect that's reasonably comparable to xbox, certainly not 10x better as bunnie seems to suggest.

archie4oz said:
Interesting. Though dual processor anything changes the latency.

Not necessarily, if you're talking latency to the CPU. When processing data on several processors with a high locality of reference, good cache snooping can kill a lot of latency. Of course on point to point topologies, it doesn't really work.

You are right of course, but I was mainly pointing out that a dual proc machine changes the latency measurements -- thus it says nothing about how the dual channel RDRAM interface in the PS2 might perform against the dual channel DDR400 interface in the xbox.

archie4oz said:
Also, controller optimizations that work for a GeForce don't necessarily translate well to a CPU. It works for a GeForce because that's the only device it has to work with, so you can tweak the memory controller for wide alignments for blitting large tracts of predicated data around. However the XGPU has to provide support for not only the GPU portion of itself, but also MCPX and the CPU, each with their own demands. This can make itself visible with regards to address granularity for one (think cache pollution).

Actually I think that of the three devices, the XGPU and MCPX are fairly easy targets for optimization of the memory controllers.

The XGPU you've already mentioned.

As for the MCPX, audio tends to be extremely predictable, low bandwidth, and very linear in terms of memory access, more so than graphics rendering, so I don't see any real difficulties.

That really leaves just the XCPU as the thing that might mess up everything -- but it has a pretty hefty (compared with the PS2 MIPS core) 32KB L1 and 128KB 8-way L2 cache which probably does a pretty good job hiding memory accesses against main memory under normal conditions.

BenSkywalker said:
Any company who can sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company), strikes me as a dangerously anti-competitive practice (though in the short term makes consumers happy by driving down prices).

That indicates any company that turns a decent profit.

pure BS

Perhaps we aren't seeing an anti MS slant here, simply anti capitalism?

the commies !! they are coming !!

Magnum PI said:
BenSkywalker said:
Any company who can sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company), strikes me as a dangerously anti-competitive practice (though in the short term makes consumers happy by driving down prices).

That indicates any company that turns a decent profit.

pure BS

Perhaps we aren't seeing an anti MS slant here, simply anti capitalism?

the commies !! they are coming !!

magnum,
stop picking on m$, you're hurting xbox fans' feelings, for g's sake! ..and providing good humour for the rest of us :)

Magnum-

He stated any company that CAN sell below cost. Not will, does or plans on, can. Apple can sell below cost, so can General Mills, NEC can, so can Sony, Matsushita, EA, Nintendo, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Disney to name a few(if you'd like I'll dig up another hundred or so).

Based on what he said, they all partake in dangerous anti competitive practice and you supported the statement. Apple, Nintendo and Sony are all guilty of dangerous anti competitive practices according to you? That is the statement you are backing up.

BenSkywalker said:
Magnum-

He stated any company that CAN sell below cost. Not will, does or plans on, can. Apple can sell below cost, so can General Mills, NEC can, so can Sony, Matsushita, EA, Nintendo, Coca-Cola, PepsiCo and Disney to name a few(if you'd like I'll dig up another hundred or so).

Based on what he said, they all partake in dangerous anti competitive practice and you supported the statement. Apple, Nintendo and Sony are all guilty of dangerous anti competitive practices according to you? That is the statement you are backing up.

i was not backing up any statement, i was just pointing the fact you are telling BS. demonstration follows:

answering to mfa, you stated the following: "That indicates any company that turns a decent profit."

so you say that any company that turns a decent profit "can sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company)," (mfa's words).

which is indeed false, as there is a lot of company that are not diversified but turns a decent profit.

which is indeed false, as there is a lot of company that are not diversified but turns a decent profit.

Is there some mass of armed forces stopping Apple from entering the console market and using their billions to do the same thing? What about Pepsi? Or Coke?

The statement was not will, intends to, currently does or anything along those lines. It was any company that can. My statement was accurate as any company that turns a decent profit could enter another market and gouge.

If you have a problem with the English language I can't help you. 'Can' had a definition long before I made a comment in this thread I assure you :)

Thanks a lot archie4oz, obviously got the cache line size wrong. Though for VIF1 the involved DMA Channel is ch1 and asfaik it seems to be uni directional (mem --> vif1).Can the VUs LSUs address all memory(local, DRDram, mm-registers), or just their local ones. Btw reg. address size, whats the systems virtual address size and why would you need virtual addresses on such a system (r5900s caches are virtually indexed), has that anything to do with SPRAMs/VU0MEM/VU1MEM physical addresses??. Reg. caches: I am only aware of 20KB of cache memory on the EE Die (INST + DATA of R5900) don`t know what you are refering to with the other five caches?

Thanks a lot in advance

EDIT: corrected an error

The statement was not will, intends to, currently does or anything along those lines. It was any company that can.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Bunny used 'can' in the same way people would say: "how can you do something like that!?" to someone doing something immoral (in other words, someone who can is someone who allows himself to; finds it morraly acceptable). Perhaps being an engineer, and maybe not even a native English speaker, he is not aware of the finer points of English language?

yes my english is far more perfect but the language is one thing, the logic is another one.

one company that is not diversified *can't* "sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company)"

in order to be able to do such a thing they have to diversify.

once they have diversified they can.

but in the process they became a diversified company.

and as long they aren't diversified they can't..

so i maintain my statement. a company that isn't diversified *can't* ...blablabla...

add this the fact that a company that is mono-sector and turns a decent profit, if they want to in their sector, before they can "sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company)" they first would have to create another sector of activity then to make it profitable.. which is much more simple to say than to do.

it's far from just saying "they can"..

following your reasonning you could say that anybody in the world can "sell substantially below cost and cover its' losses with earnings from a seperate sector (or an entirely seperate division of the company)".

first they would have to found a company
then to make a decent profit.
then to diversify.

Archie explained everything, now I have nothing to say :(
;) I'll just blab a little anyway.

Though for VIF1 the involved DMA Channel is ch1 and asfaik it seems to be uni directional (mem --> vif1).Can the VUs LSUs address all memory(local, DRDram, mm-registers), or just their local ones.?
VU's operating in Micro mode only see their local memory. But the VIF1 channel in fact is bidirectional as it's also used to read GS memory.
Moreover, all VU micromemories are main memory mapped, so you can both read them directly via cpu or with other utility DMA channels.
But it should be noted that paths from VU1 aren't there for much more then debug purposes - you have a direct path from VU1 to rasterizer for a reason.
Why would you want to read the memory back in the first place btw?

Btw reg. address size, whats the systems virtual address size and why would you need virtual addresses on such a system (r5900s caches are virtually indexed)
Virtual address size is also 32 bit. Anyway, I'm pretty sure those features are standard on the said MIPS family of cpus, and the r59k core isn't a major redesign. If you look at Gekko in GCN, it brings over some very similar legacy from the 750cx PPC core that fathered it.
On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to have that when you run a HDD and Linux on the machine :p

having a 3.2GB/sec memory sub-system on a 2GB/sec bus seems to be a strange design desicion, as all kinds of other data(e.g. IPU --> GIF, SPRAM --> VU1) also have to use that pipe, esp. when taking into consideration the near absence of caches in EE.
That'd be 2.4gb bus ;) Anyway, one Tohiba's paper discusses efficiency of varius ram types, and RDRam part kind of like the one found in PS2 is rated around 70% - which would give you almost exactly 2.4gb... coincidence?

The edram seems to have two access ports for the framebuffer (1024bit read & write..). Does this mean you can interleave fetches and writes to the framebuffer (how long is edrams access latency then??)?
There are 3 access ports (512bit texture read also), connected to 2 page buffers (texture/frame). There doesn't seem to be any documentation on actual latencies, but if my understanding is correct, as long as you hit pagebuffer there shouldn't really be any to speak of.
Page breaks are another matter, page refill happens at around 150GBytes/sec, which gives you 8cycles per page for transfer, + whatever is added by access latencies(again, I have no info on those).

Marco,
PS. saying consoles with embedded framebuffers, in addition to seperate main memory, use UMA seems disingenuous.
I was refering to type of processing flow - at any rate, it really boils down to semantics. Sony themselves call PS2 'hybrid UMA', and imo, for a good reason.
Devices in the system feed of a single memory pool, their local buffers operating as scratchpads/caches.
In the end it just comes down to implementation differencies in memory bandwith saving techniques. Ie. - big dumb embeded buffers versus smaller smart caches.
Or in case of GCN, a cross between both...

I didnt say it was factually wrong, it just wasnt the complete story ... I think we can agree that the XBox is a little "more UMA" than the rest :)

BW's

The Embedded DRAM is the big advantage for PS2...

The pixel processor to page buffer bandwidth is high, but the on cache performance of the Geforce is also high.. however the cache to memory BW is astronomical... effectively an 8192 bit bus.... much higher than the Xbox ( or Gamecube ) external BW ( though the Gamecube also wins with the split bus, so frame buffer drawing ops never leave the chip )

For example drawing a shadow projection ( rmw incrementing or decrementing a stencil buffer ) will run faster on PS2 than Xbox, as the Xbox is likely to be constrained by external memory bandwidth

Ben: I think you're re-directing my entire arguement and thus missing the point entirely. How many corporations can afford to eat several billion dollars? If you are running a business and have so much capital at your disposal that your focus is not on generating profit but merely on establishing market leverage and driving out competitors, is that really aneconomically viable practice? Hell, if you want bona-fide capitalism then we need to cut goverment subsidies for corporations and start collecting taxes from them. None of these businesses would be half of what they are today if it wasn't for federal monies and the fact that the majority of them pay NO taxes or actually recieve rebates though they never paid in. The kind of profits that businesses and investors expect today can not be sustained in a truely free market. Study the economic environment of the late ninteenth and early twentieth centuries to get a pretty good idea of where our economy is currently headed.
Anti-capitalism is not synonymous with anti-criminal by any measure.

I suspect that's reasonably comparable to xbox, certainly not 10x better as bunnie seems to suggest.

Well most of the latencies of the DDR device will be about half that of the DRDRAM device, of course that's kind've moot when the DRDRAM device is clocked twice as fast. Xbox moves ahead in throughput mainly because it uses twice as many devices. The kicker here though is in CPU time on the PS2 it is rather nifty that your main mem is clocked higher than your CPU and can actually sequentially transfer data faster than the on-chip caches. Now if they were only a wee bit bigger! :devilish:

The same is not so with Xbox. Not that it really matters a whole lot anyways. It's CPU does have an L2 (since even the best C/C++ compilers IMO suck at hiding latencies, I consider L2's a compiler's best friend).

Actually I think that of the three devices, the XGPU and MCPX are fairly easy targets for optimization of the memory controllers.

The XGPU you've already mentioned.

As for the MCPX, audio tends to be extremely predictable, low bandwidth, and very linear in terms of memory access, more so than graphics rendering, so I don't see any real difficulties.

Actually audio data can get pretty bandwidth intensive too (not as much as graphics) depending on how fancy you want to get. But the MCPX does also makes requests for I/O data as well (HD, eth0, controllers), and not all have nice fancy alignments.

The worst though is the CPU. It can make all sorts of odd sized data requests, of which DDR is less efficient at. That's where my point of address granularity of RDRAM is rather nice since it can more effectively address (no pun intended) the data requirements of various buses and caches, and has fewer extraneous data transfers to pollute your caches and FIFOs.

I could also go on how shoehorning Rambus into the RIMM; contraining it to physical implementations of the SDRAM DIMM was probably just as detrimental to the technology as the Rambus company's shenanigans were, but that's a bit OT... :oops:

Is there some mass of armed forces stopping Apple from entering the console market and using their billions to do the same thing?

Yeah, it's called Apple. The last time they tried it was dead before it left the ground, remember Pippen? 8)

Page breaks are another matter, page refill happens at around 150GBytes/sec, which gives you 8cycles per page for transfer, + whatever is added by access latencies(again, I have no info on those).

And to elaborate more, this is why you try (if you can) to maintain small tris on the GS so you don't cross page boundaries (the other reason dealing more with clipping nasties on the EE).

The Embedded DRAM is the big advantage for PS2...

The pixel processor to page buffer bandwidth is high, but the on cache performance of the Geforce is also high.. however the cache to memory BW is astronomical... effectively an 8192 bit bus.... much higher than the Xbox ( or Gamecube ) external BW ( though the Gamecube also wins with the split bus, so frame buffer drawing ops never leave the chip )

For example drawing a shadow projection ( rmw incrementing or decrementing a stencil buffer ) will run faster on PS2 than Xbox, as the Xbox is likely to be constrained by external memory bandwidth

Also render-to-texture starts becoming your friend, and you start getting really creative with it.

Steve Dave Part Deux said:
Study the economic environment of the late ninteenth and early twentieth centuries to get a pretty good idea of where our economy is currently headed.
Anti-capitalism is not synonymous with anti-criminal by any measure.

you who knows about economy, what do you think of that ?

http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html
and other articles linked here:
http://www.billparish.com/presslist.html
or this one:
http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/2000/rulemaker000217.htm

if i understand it and if it's true this sounds scary to me..

another article that covers more aspects about microsoft:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5906

I'm not much of an economist or historian, but to me it seems reasonable to assume that the economy cannot possible keep growing when there isn't a secure monetary infrastructure to support it. Considering that we have about 653 billion dollars in circulating currency and about 1.73 trillion in consumer debt (the majority of which is owed by the poor and middle class). Not to mention the 6 trillion dollars(conservative estimate) stowed away in Caribbean tax-havens. There tends to be problems keeping the economy balanced. Our economy has ballooned to enormous prportions because people are spending money they don't have. Everyone is moving faster and faster towards a big brick wall. Of course, not every segment of the economy is going to be devastated but everyone's going to feel it. All of this is, of course, merely my personal view, and is not meant to be take as an ultimatum or statement of fact. I'll try to be more on topic with my responses in the future.

I have an MA in Economics and disagree with just about everything you say on the subject Steve (except when you call for an end to corporate welfare), but you're entitled to your opinion. :)

marconelly! said:
The cost (being end result) means little to me. I would gladly pay twice as much if the end result of an Xbox was a small, stylish package vs what they made.

Why?

MfA said:
Exactly, but with cars what m$ is doing would be called dumping and would be illegal ... m$ using their funds to write off the entire first generation of the XBox as a loss leader is bad for competition.

Er... bad for competition? It's caused nothing but price drops on the other consoles here... making them better value and more available to the consumer. I can't see your point.

My mistake, so it is legal as a large company to subsidize your products with income from other areas to drive out competitors as long as you do it to the same extent in all markets? :/

In case you haven't noticed, it's standard operating procedure in console markets.

Back