Wow! Renesas Announces "Dreamcast On A Chip"

Thanks for clearing that up, hehe.

I want 4" HDTV!

I believe my original source for that info wasn't exactly reputable (f'n EB sales dumbasses)

Re: Bigass portable???

PC-Engine said:
Nah a high resolution screen like that would be too expensive which would defeat the whole purpose of a mobile graphics portable. BTW the PSP's screen isn't 1280x720, it's 480 x 272. :LOL:

When was the whole purpose of portable mobile graphics to be cheap?

Something to consider WRT to target markets (hence resolutions) is that this is a built by a partnership between Mitsubishi Electronics and Hitachi. I suspect that Mitsubishi will be looking towards digital car displays (navigation and possibly even dashboard) where high resolution (but not necessarily high performance) will be of benefit.

Re: Bigass portable???

Cryect said:
When was the whole purpose of portable mobile graphics to be cheap?

Since Sony plans to enter the market. ;)

GBA is the only serious player and leader on the market, GBA is cheap, therefore all the handhelds, forever, have to be cheap to be successful. QED
All cats are mortal, Soctrates is mortal, therefore Socrates is a cat. QED

When logic is in, when it comes to doomsday scenarios for Sony, don't ask the logic to hold water... It doesn't need it. At all. :LOL:

Saying that a 1280x720 screen would be too expensive for a handheld is a doomsday scenario for Sony?.. why?

Teasy said:
Saying that a 1280x720 screen would be too expensive for a handheld is a doomsday scenario for Sony?.. why?

Read this post

And then, tell me what the price of a 1280x720 HDTV 4' screen has to do with my... once again... sarcastic post, Teasy.

:p

More seriously, PC said that the whole purpose of a mobile graphics portable was to be cheap/unexpensive. Which, at first hand seems to be total nonsense, a notebook with a 1,5GHz Celeron and a GFX 5200 will always cost more than its home counterpart. But when you take in consideration that Sony enters the market with what seems to be an expensive piece of hardware, then PC nonsenses, paradoxically, start to make sense, a lot of sense actually.

If small 1280x720 screens were cheap, we'd have them today in $400 portable devices. It's not exactly rocket science... :LOL:

As a matter of fact small 5" screens with those resolutions are MORE expensive than 7" screens with lower resolutions like the ones used in portable DVD players. ;)

Vysez

What does your post have to do with a 1280x720 screen? Well that's what PC-Engines post was about and your post was aimed at his comments. I didn't realise you'd read some hidden meaning into his post.

BTW yeah I know you were being sarcastic, but that doesn't change the meaning on your post.

Its no big deal, your post just confused me. One minute people are talking about a MBX and 1280x720 screens. The next your talking about Sony haters and their doomsday scenarios :)

Teasy said:
What does your post have to do with a 1280x720 screen? Well that's what PC-Engines post was about and your post was aimed at his comments. I didn't realise you'd read some hidden meaning into his post.

Not really sure about the hidden stuff Teasy, PC clearly stated that the only purpose of portable graphics was to be cheap, Crytect ask "how come", i answered to Cryect question, that's it.
And, yeah, frequently people do digress from the original topic, and indeed it's no big deal.

:D

Back