Asus announces new Xbox controller

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter

Asus announces new Xbox controller with a built-in OLED screen​

Asus is releasing a new Xbox PC controller later this year that has a built-in OLED display and a host of connectivity options for PC. The ROG Raikiri Pro has a tiny 1.3-inch OLED display above the Xbox button that will display custom animations, battery or microphone status, and more.

asusrogxboxcontroller.gif

BUT WILL IT DRIFT!????

/me still salty with XSS stick drifting, DS stick drifting, and stuck using X360 gamepad

/me still salty with XSS stick drifting, DS stick drifting, and stuck using X360 gamepad

The X360 controller has been the worst for me. Always ran into stick drift if I used the controller long enough. No stick drift at all on Xbox One controllers or Xbox Series controllers. I guess I have been amazingly lucky to not run into that issue. There have been other issues, but never excessive drift. Matter of fact, in most FPS games I adjust the joystick settings to make the deadzone even smaller zome than default so it's more responsive.

The triangles on the sticks facing in different directions is going to annoy me for the rest of the day.
I thought I was the only one going to be annoyed by that, but didn't want to point it out to others to see if it was obvious or not.

I don't recall ever experiencing stick drift ever. Controllers wore out, and notably buttons stopped working, but I never knew ghost movements.
I also feel blessed to have never encountered stick drift, Even my Switch!

My stock Xbox One controller has no drift, but the XB1X CP2077 Edition controller and my PS4 controller have it.

Given how often I put my controllers down to deal with real life, I would definitely notice drift. The only issue I have had with putting a controller down was the SixAxis/DualShock3 (PS3) and DualShock 4 (PS4) because that would often trigger in inadvertent L2/R2 input, which in many games is aiming/fire.

I'm curious if people are consistently experience drift with multiple types of controller because if so, I think that cause may point to how the user is handling the controller.

Have had horrible drifting luck here. 3 PS5 controllers, 2 SX controllers. 3 of those controllers were out of warranty. With Sony's shipping fees included (unlike MS they don't provide shipping expenses) I've probably blown $200+ on dead controllers due to stick drift. 2 of those controllers got drift within a couple of months of casual use. This wasn't subtle, 'not perfect' alignment either - I would constantly have to be adjusting the camera to stop it from crawling up, just not playable.

Otoh, I have a blue PS4 dualshock over 2 years old that's seen more use than any of them, no stick drift. Then again I had to replace 3 of them early on in the PS5's life due to the trigger issue.

I'm curious if people are consistently experience drift with multiple types of controller because if so, I think that cause may point to how the user is handling the controller.

I hold them in my hands in order to play videogames. You've just won the potentiometer lottery.

Going forward, if/when my current gamepads get drift again, nothing but gamepads with hall sensors for me.

Last edited:
I hold them in my hands in order to play videogames. You've just won the potentiometer lottery.

I've seen people really mash buttons and ram the sticks all over the place which may put extra wear and tear on a controller. Whilst I do occasionally press buttons quite hard, because it's a well known fact that pressing X even harder will make you legs/car/ship move faster, I've never really done the same with the sticks.

I could just be very lucky, but I've been using analogue stick controllers since the Dual Analog Controller for the original PlayStation. Was drift an issue back then? It feels like people have only been talking about stick drift for the last couple of generations.

I've seen people really mash buttons and ram the sticks all over the place which may put extra wear and tear on a controller. Whilst I do occasionally press buttons quite hard, because it's a well known fact that pressing X even harder will make you legs/car/ship move faster, I've never really done the same with the sticks.

I could just be very lucky, but I've been using analogue stick controllers since the Dual Analog Controller for the original PlayStation. Was drift an issue back then? It feels like people have only been talking about stick drift for the last couple of generations.

Back then sticky sticks are more common IME with my own sticks and with rentals

I don't recall ever experiencing stick drift ever. Controllers wore out, and notably buttons stopped working, but I never knew ghost movements.

I never got game controller buttons that stopped working (except for joycon). Became hard to press, sticky, or need extra pressure, yes it happen. But they still work.

And fixing them are easy, as they just need to be cleaned.

For joycon, the tiny sl Sr buttons are often stopped working due to broken flex cable instead of due to damage to the buttons

I've seen people really mash buttons and ram the sticks all over the place which may put extra wear and tear on a controller.
I'm struggling to see how, for stick drift. You can't extend the sticks past the casing. You can only move them fast left/right, but can't apply extra force left/right. You could potentially press down hard while using them but that would activate the L3/R3 buttons - if you aren't activating these, you aren't pushing down with undue force. So I can't see a wear-and-tear vector that could induce stick drift. Is it an issue with the potentiometers reading wrong, of the stick not being bounced to the centre position?

I'm struggling to see how, for stick drift. You can't extend the sticks past the casing. You can only move them fast left/right, but can't apply extra force left/right. You could potentially press down hard while using them but that would activate the L3/R3 buttons - if you aren't activating these, you aren't pushing down with undue force. So I can't see a wear-and-tear vector that could induce stick drift. Is it an issue with the potentiometers reading wrong, of the stick not being bounced to the centre position?
The core of the stick is a short steel rod (with no give) and the housing that limits lateral stick travel is plastic. Whilst the plastic is pretty tough, over time enough force can be exerted to grind down the plastic in places. There is a tell, which is picking up a controller and gently moving the sticks to any edge, then circling them for 360 degrees. It should be smooth. The way sticks are mounted internally can also be. factor.

I found an ifixit article on the DualSense.

Rather than a drift issue, my daughter managed to break directly up on her Xbox controller. All other angles worked. She'd been playing Minecraft with her character running at a slight diagonal for months. She received a new controller for xmas and I wonder if she's realised that she can now move forward in a straight line.

I've had stick drift on a PS2 controller, X360 controller and a fairly expensive Street Fighter IV arcade stick controller. That last was absolutely horrible. You can kind of adjust for drift with a regular controller in regular games (although it really sucks in flying games), but not in an arcade fighting game like SF, Tekken, etc. when using an arcade stick controller since they rely on relatively complex stick actions with fairly tight timing.

Lucky me, it also happened outside of warranty. /sigh.

Regards,
SB

Back