Wow! Renesas Announces "Dreamcast On A Chip"

PC-Engine said:
Is the chip using a MBX or MBX Pro? Isn't this chip going to be triangle setup limited?

Even MBX Pro would be triangle setup limited according to specs....

1024x768 would be one bigass portable...

Well yeah but why wouldn't they be able to use a lower resolution for portables? They did say "up to 1024x768". On a portable that resolution would be useful if they wanted to have it able to output to a monitor. It would be nice to be able to hook up a portable to a PC monitor as required.

Yep that's why the talk about twice the polygon performance confuses me. :?

PC-Engine said:
1024x768 would be one bigass portable...

Well yeah but why wouldn't they be able to use a lower resolution for portables?

Yep that's why the talk about twice the polygon performance confuses me. :?

Maybe its a hoax - I havent seen any official release statements on Renesas' website

Actually it's probably real. ;)

BTW the link below also shows what the other companies will be presenting at the FPF.

http://www.mdronline.com/mpr/183801.html

Renesas follows with a paper titled "An SH-4 CPU with an AV/Graphics Subsystem and High-Speed Interconnects," presented by Mitsuhiro Miyazaki, deputy project manager. Renesas has reinforced an SH-4 processor with special engines for MPEG audio/video decoding and 3D graphics. A unified memory architecture and high-speed on-chip interconnects help reduce costs while maintaining high performance. Target applications include entertainment and multimedia systems.

PC-Engine said:
Actually it's probably real. ;)

http://www.mdronline.com/mpr/183801.html

Renesas follows with a paper titled "An SH-4 CPU with an AV/Graphics Subsystem and High-Speed Interconnects," presented by Mitsuhiro Miyazaki, deputy project manager. Renesas has reinforced an SH-4 processor with special engines for MPEG audio/video decoding and 3D graphics. A unified memory architecture and high-speed on-chip interconnects help reduce costs while maintaining high performance. Target applications include entertainment and multimedia systems.

:oops: :LOL: Sorry, i just had to....

:? What's so funny with High Speed Interconnects :?
... ah, now I get it, DC and high speed.... uh..... or not,.... no, no I don't get it :? :?

I don't know what's so funny about it either...

A unified memory architecture and high-speed on-chip interconnects help reduce costs while maintaining high performance

I would expect a high-speed on-chip interconnect between the cpu and gpu of a single chip configuration...much faster and cheaper than an external bus connecting two separate chips.

Sounds cool.

What 16:9 aspect rations does the PowerVR core support? After looking at the PSP, I think 16:9 aspect is mandatory for a dedicated mobile gaming device.

According to the pretty old ARM pdf the MBX@80MHz scores just a tad lower than the Dreamcast; that on 180nm.

How would 150MHz@130nm and 600MFLOPs/s from the VGP sound? It's pure speculation, but I don't think it's impossible at all.

Still a handheld type of gaming device would be great with such a setup and reading Wavey's comment about Sammy, they really should think of it IMHO. Sammy did license MBX from Renesas AFAIK.

PC-Engine said:
I don't know what's so funny about it either...

That's what happens when you snort cigarette lighter gas just before making a post, L-B! Make that a lesson for you. :D

A handheld by Sammy/Sega is really unexpected, especially by the first quarter of 2005. We would have already heard from Sega/Sammy about their plans since a long time ago, at least since the last TGS.

OTOH, having Sammy using this chip on "Video" Pachinko slot machines is a real possibility. For obvious "cost/graphics" reasons.

Or another possible scenario, Sammy/Sega is releasing a handheld only in Asia (South Korea would be the more "obvious" choice).

And the last possibility, the one that makes the most sense, it's just a chip available to OEMs who want a all-in-one solution for the Portable/Tablet market.

"Targeted at several markets"

I presume this means the Atomiswave 2 for the arcade market and Game Gear 2 for the handheld market.

Woah...

woah the actual deal was announced 2 years ago

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=44

"Sammy to use PowerVR Based System on Chip
Hitachi to Supply Sammy with Highly Integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) Device with PowerVR Technology
------------------------------------------

6 June 2002

London, UK: Imagination Technologies (LSE:IMG), the leading provider of multimedia and communication intellectual property (IP), today announced that Sammy Corporation of Japan (TSE:6426) will use SoCs with integrated PowerVR graphic and video cores, supplied by Hitachi, Ltd (TSE:6501), in an advanced graphics display system to be developed by Sammy. Sammy, a rapidly growing Japanese corporation, is a major player in the game machine industry with sales of YEN 164 billion (USD 1.3 billion) in FY2002.

Sammy plans to use the SoCs with integrated PowerVR graphics and Hitachi's SuperHâ„¢ family within the Sammy group for: -

LCD displays of pachislot and pachinko machines

Amusement game machines
and for other uses, achieved through collaborations with other companies, which include:-
Mobile devices, including PDAs

Industrial and consumer equipment requiring graphics display
The advanced graphics display system will enable future expansion of Sammy's NEWS (New Entertainment World of Sammy) business, which focuses on new technology sectors. This deal is core to Sammy's strategy for the development of Sammy's new technology business, not only in the current business arenas of the Sammy Group but also in other markets, through collaborations with other companies. Sammy expects to start mass production of these devices in 2004. The PowerVR graphics cores used in the system have been licensed from Imagination Technologies by Hitachi Ltd, as previously announced, and include PowerVR MBX, MPEG4, and Display Controller cores. Imagination Technologies will receive royalty revenue from the products shipped."

It's seems like this was made specifically for Sammy, which would now be Sega, as all of this side of sammy's business was transferred over to sega after the merger.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?ID=44

"Sammy to use PowerVR Based System on Chip
Hitachi to Supply Sammy with Highly Integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) Device with PowerVR Technology
------------------------------------------
Sammy plans to use the SoCs with integrated PowerVR graphics and Hitachi's SuperHâ„¢ family within the Sammy group for: -

LCD displays of pachislot and pachinko machines

Amusement game machines
and for other uses, achieved through collaborations with other companies, which include:-
Mobile devices, including PDAs

Right on the money!!! If it wasn't 1 AM, i'd go out and buy a Loto ticket. :LOL:

Back