Woldwide PSP hardware sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they had their 3rd quarter "financial results" or what we can call it they had shipped around 6 million alone in that quarter for a total of 15million worldwide.
Sonys third quarter ends in late Januari, 25th plus or minus some days if i remember correct.

To answer your question Psychogenics, DS is at least a few million units ahead of PSP at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
not that i want to get into this argument again, but sony reports shipped numbers while nintendo reports sold numbers. many times sony reports it's shipped numbers as "sold to retail", but it doesn't mean the public has bought them. and the numbers linked to in that translated page are shipped numbers.

we'll probably never know how many PSP's have been sold through to consumers. even "official" (NPD and similar tracking groups) reports vary by a few million. at the end of october 2005 sony had shipped about 10 Million units and sold about 5 million units. it's pretty safe to assume all of those units have been sold (considering the holiday, and the fact that sony has shiped another 5 million units) so we're looking at between 10-15 Million. 13 Million is a nice round guess.

Probably around that number.
It released in Europe in September so i think its very good numbers for it esp that it did so good under the holliday. Wonder how many of the 6 million units that were Gigapacks?

Its pretty safe to say that PSP isn't anywhere near overtaking DS at this point Kb-Smoker. DS had sold over 13 million systems by the end of December 2005, at the same time PSP had only shipped 13 million (sales would have been 10 million at the very most).

Teasy said:
Its pretty safe to say that PSP isn't anywhere near overtaking DS at this point Kb-Smoker. DS had sold over 13 million systems by the end of December 2005, at the same time PSP had only shipped 13 million (sales would have been 10 million at the very most).
How is that "not close"?

Teasy said:

That's actually not correct; Sony had shipped 15.03 million by the end of December. Applying your maths again, it would put PSP at around 12 million in the hands of consumers... and even then, I'm not really sure, since PSP has been enjoying very healthy sales especially in Europe. It'd be surprised if your claim of ~1/4th of the units shipped to retaillers are lying around, not being sold, holds true. If anything, the difference is very close.

At the end though, I find DS / PSP comparisions meaningless. They might be still both handhelds, but I don't really see them competing directly with each other. Even if PSP outsells DS.... so what? :rolleyes: Both are doing very well and that's all that counts!

Yes, it's funny how some people feel it important to consider a difference of all of 10% here or there because that makes the difference between being '1st' or '2nd'. The important point is both are selling fairly well, to their different audiences.

I know i shouldn't mention this, but i have a DVD at home, an internal video for Nintendo basically just praising themselves. Pretty cool, it mentions 12M DS sold in the world among lots of other things. I have it cause my man was a model in it (had to pretend he was playing Mario Kart on a park bench, all dressed up formally, and playing against other people through wi-fi).

Ok not sure why i mentioned it but it's quite cool to have an internal Nintendo video at home.

I'd post pics of it but i can't be arsed.

london-boy said:
I know i shouldn't mention this, but i have a DVD at home, an internal video for Nintendo basically just praising themselves. Pretty cool, it mentions 12M DS sold in the world among lots of other things. I have it cause my man was a model in it (had to pretend he was playing Mario Kart on a park bench, all dressed up formally, and playing against other people through wi-fi).

Ok not sure why i mentioned it but it's quite cool to have an internal Nintendo video at home.

I'd post pics of it but i can't be arsed.

yes you can! post it ! i command you

Shifty Geezer said:
Yes, it's funny how some people feel it important to consider a difference of all of 10% here or there because that makes the difference between being '1st' or '2nd'. The important point is both are selling fairly well, to their different audiences.

The way I see it is, how many non-nintendo handhelds have really been successful? Not to mention that PSP is selling at a slightly higher price than DS.

Even if the PSP hasn't sold as much as the DS, it is still pretty much a success.....especially when compared to previous efforts by other companies.

DigitalSoul said:
The way I see it is, how many non-nintendo handhelds have really been successful? Not to mention that PSP is selling at a slightly higher price than DS.
:oops: PSP is about 2x the price of DS here in the UK.

Nintendo haven't sold 1.4M this year already I would bet, so I'm going to guess they use shipping numbers too.

Shifty Geezer said:
:oops: PSP is about 2x the price of DS here in the UK.

Did I say slightly? :LOL:

Anyways, I'm from Canada so PSP prices here range from $280-300 depending on where you buy it. DS is around $180.....

pixelbox said:
How is that "not close"?

I meant that 10 million sold isn't close to overtaking 13 million sold.

Phil

Thanks for the info, but I'd guess that the difference between sold and shipped would have been larger back in December (usually is at Christmas). Especially since according to Sony's third quarter report there were no PSP's shipped between Christmas and the end of January. By the way, As an example of the difference, Sony shipped 4.2 million PSP's in Japan by Christmas according to that link you posted, but by the end of December they had sold only 2.6 million.

Nicked

Nintendo make it very clear in there press releases that they are talking about sold and not shipped.

Teasy said:
In Sony's third quarter report (end of January) they said they had shipped 15 million PSP's. Which means they didn't ship a single PSP between the end of December and the end of January. So I'd guess that the difference between sold and shipped would have been even greater back in December (usually is at Christmas anyway).

I find that rather hard to believe that they would be counting to Jan 31st if the Sony's financial 3rd quarterly starts at the beginning of October and ends on the 31st of December (Sony's yearly always finishes on March 31st).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back