Witcher 2

In case anyone else is in this situation or knows about another fix, I'm on Win 7 x64, Q6600@3200 and GTX285.

So you have tried setting desktop res. to 1920x1080 and then launching game in windowed mode?
Also are you on latest nVidia drivers? The game for sure works on W7 x64 / GTX 285 combination because I saw person on XS with that config playing this game.

Are you getting any error messages? Can you post screen with it?
Have you updated to latest DX redist. version?

I hope this helps somewhat.

I'm just not a huge fan about how weak the character is during combat. Super human badass so fast the guards couldn't even see his sword movements my ass. The clumsiness and overall lack of effectiveness with a sword (6+ slashes for a lowly bandit? come on) really clashes with the way the guy is portrayed outside of combat situations.
Enemies that dish out a lot of damage is all fine and good, but at least the really lowly ones shouldn't have excessive amounts of health on top of that. Demon's Souls' enemies hit incredibly hard as well, but so does your own character (despite the fact that he/she, unlike Geralt, is supposed to be perceived as weak, tiny and insignificant).

BTW ... the troll trouble DLC install was a bit iffy. First the game fakes you out by pretending you need a redeem code when you can just push download, then you have to restart the UI as administrator to be actually able to install the DLC. That's a bit unpolished.

I was stuck on that last night trying to figure out how to grab the DLC. Thanks for sharing the workaround but where do you download it from? Meaning is there a download button or something on the Witcher 2 game launcher?

What's this "error writing file" thing with the DLC. :/ It just loops over and over again. I've already tried launching steam as admin and also the witcher2 launcher as admin. :s

I was stuck on that last night trying to figure out how to grab the DLC. Thanks for sharing the workaround but where do you download it from? Meaning is there a download button or something on the Witcher 2 game launcher?

There's a DLC menu option in the launcher. From there it'll ask you to register on witcher2.com. After that, you come back to the launcher, login, then (in theory :rolleyes: ) select the DLC that's available and hit download. The redeem bar is just for unlocking additional content, so whatever shows up on the left side is stuff you can already download without further code input.

Ugh, it uses the MMO way of fixing the economy ... make everything sell to vendors at 10% of buying price. Which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't combine it with ... NO FUCKING STORAGE. Ugh, it's like they purposely developed this game to annoy obsessive compulsive types ... which given their audience seems retarded.

So you have tried setting desktop res. to 1920x1080 and then launching game in windowed mode?
Also are you on latest nVidia drivers? The game for sure works on W7 x64 / GTX 285 combination because I saw person on XS with that config playing this game.

Are you getting any error messages? Can you post screen with it?
Have you updated to latest DX redist. version?

Hi, thanks Lightman but yes I've tried all that. I tried everything I saw in the long thread about the launcher issues in steam forum (as well as GoG and plenty other but it's the same information flying around). I'm on 1680x1050 native; with configurator I set game res to 1280x1024 and low setting just in case, nothing. I reduce desktop res also and tried to no avail either.

DX and VC updated manually by me on redist folder, all exes with administrative privileges (and just now with XP compatibility). I posted my specs as a good practice in these cases but I know it's nothing to do with that. Drivers are latest nVidia Beta (275.27). I've checked game cache several times and redownloaded the whole thing (P O S comes to mind now :devilish:) tonight but nothing has changed.

Can't send any screen because the problem is that neither launcher or game get to open any window; the process runs for less than a second and disappears. Activate.exe doesn't run by itself either. Registration exe does work but on last step I always get 'Connection error. Try again later'. At least I can see my CD Key there.

Couple of things left to try now that I'm entering desperation mode :???: :
disabling my second monitor (I guy got it to work in a similar fashion)
reverting to latest WHQL drivers and try again

I'm not feeling lucky with this solutions anyway...

I have had a couple crash to desktops as well, with no clue what's causing them. Crashing back to the dashboard without error messages might be required for consoles, but in a system where you might never have the exact same system as your customers it's not really the smart option.

Together with the lack of inverted mouselook, the lack of options in the in game option menus, no decent save game menu, only supports the most common aspect ratios etc etc .... I have to agree, it's clearly a console designed game.

Last edited by a moderator:
At level 8 and with some better armor and swords I'm starting to get the hang of fights. Mobs are still really difficult though.

Together with the lack of inverted mouselook, the lack of options in the in game option menus, no decent save game menu, only supports the most common aspect ratios etc etc .... I have to agree, it's clearly a console designed game.

I think there might be a solution for that

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/no_inverted_mouse

I've seen this issue come up in several forums and apparently you can invert the axis editing the config file. From what I've read it seems to work.

I managed to work around my horrific disc issues, sans any response from customer service. I love how they don't have a hotline. Their answer to cogent customer service apparently lies in a series of emails you'll never receive from a representative. Anyway, it installed. And works. And, as I estimated, is a beast on the GPU. I can't play the game at Ultra settings, but I haven't tooled around with it too much. I disabled Vsync, Bloom lighting and ultrasampling, and it runs pretty smooth on High. Then again, I'm still confined to narrow corridors. I'll see it's true colors once I hit an outdoor area. I could still use some advice for which settings to either disable or tone down without sacrificing the overall look too drastically.

Anyway, Nvidia released beta drivers which, apparently, improve the performance;

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/r275-driver

I managed to work around my horrific disc issues, sans any response from customer service. I love how they don't have a hotline. Their answer to cogent customer service apparently lies in a series of emails you'll never receive from a representative. Anyway, it installed. And works. And, as I estimated, is a beast on the GPU. I can't play the game at Ultra settings, but I haven't tooled around with it too much. I disabled Vsync, Bloom lighting and ultrasampling, and it runs pretty smooth on High. Then again, I'm still confined to narrow corridors. I'll see it's true colors once I hit an outdoor area. I could still use some advice for which settings to either disable or tone down without sacrificing the overall look too drastically.

Anyway, Nvidia released beta drivers which, apparently, improve the performance;

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/r275-driver

What kind of a system are you rocking Dresden? I saw the beta drivers too but I have not installed them yet mainly because I am trying to play Witcher 1 for the saved game :D

What kind of a system are you rocking Dresden? I saw the beta drivers too but I have not installed them yet mainly because I am trying to play Witcher 1 for the saved game :D

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
894 mb EVGA GTX 260
8 GB RAM
Win 7 Ultimate

I need a new processor and video card. My rig's a little dated. I'm in the market for a new mobo, CPU and video card. Probably some new RAM, also, seeing as I believe I have DDR2. My laptop sports an i7 and I really dig it. Gonna wait until the prices drop on those. Plus, I've been eying this for a video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

While we're on the subject, what happened to ABIT motherboards? Did they stop making them? I used to be hardcore ABIT reliant.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
894 mb EVGA GTX 260
8 GB RAM
Win 7 Ultimate

I need a new processor and video card. My rig's a little dated. I'm in the market for a new mobo, CPU and video card. Probably some new RAM, also, seeing as I believe I have DDR2. My laptop sports an i7 and I really dig it. Gonna wait until the prices drop on those. Plus, I've been eying this for a video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130655

While we're on the subject, what happened to ABIT motherboards? Did they stop making them? I used to be hardcore ABIT reliant.

Yeah I am getting a sweet deal with the Intell 990x through a friend of mine and that is what I intend to upgrade my cpu to. I thought about Sandy Bridge but since I am going to lose 2 gb of ram because of going from triple to dual channel ram and I have to buy a new motherboard and a new Sandy Bridge CPU, I thought it just best to upgrade to the highest performing LGA1366 cpu and call it done. I am running GTX 285s myself which I am going to be ditching some time this year for 5xx series. That card that you are looking at will be quite beastly at least for 1080p gaming!

OK, got to the point where others have been complaining, the fight against 6 mobs outside the monasatery with King Foltest and some of his soldiers outside the gate cheering you on (sort of). . .and I can't beat this fight on Normal. I came close, got all of them down except for the Mountain wanna'-be, but only had a sliver of health left and he got a hit in on me and down the Whimper went.

Oh joy ... no real highlighting (the medaillon is short range and on a cool down) and they still have swamps with near invisible bodies for looting ...

PS. the official forum is full of Snape Killed Dumbledore type thread titles, don't advise you to go there.

. I could still use some advice for which settings to either disable or tone down without sacrificing the overall look too drastically.
Things to turn off and still the have the game looking nice?, try these maybe:

-Don't be afraid of using "Bloom", it isn't much of a performance drainer, but i don't think its well implemented.
-Turn off every DoF option.
-Turn off AA. If you are runing at 1080p. The AA in this game is post process effect, similar to MLAA but less blurry.
-Turn off Motion Blur.
-Turn off Blur Effects.
-Turn off Light Shafts.
-Vignette: is more of preference not much perf difference with it on/off.

See your system has 894 of Vram i'm stretching it but i think it can run with these values:
-Texture downscaling: Disable
-Texture memory size: High
-Shadow quality: midium/high

The following ones are more related to CPU:
-Dangling objects limit and Decals. Yet these govern subtle details in my opinion so lower values might not be apparent.

The Rain, Wet surfaces rain effect option. Haven't reached a part with rain yet so i don't know how much of drainer it is.

Beat that fight on normal right after posting my complaints upstream. Just had to roll and kite a lot, get a few swipes in on one and then run around. I guess you have to dump 6 talent points into the Witcher tree before the other trees unlock, so I was stuck using the aard sign. Which at level 1 doesn't stun or knockback very well. When I beat that fight I think I took out the Mountain early on, the shield soldier was the last I killed. The combat still has a somewhat jerky, unresponsive feel to it (turn away from an enemy while holding down the W key and he stands there for a second or two getting attacked).

I turned motion blur off almost right away too. Can't stand not being able to pan my view around without everything becoming a blurry streak. Don't care for the UI for inventory at all either.

Things to turn off and still the have the game looking nice?, try these maybe:

-Don't be afraid of using "Bloom", it isn't much of a performance drainer, but i don't think its well implemented.
-Turn off every DoF option.
-Turn off AA. If you are runing at 1080p. The AA in this game is post process effect, similar to MLAA but less blurry.
-Turn off Motion Blur.
-Turn off Blur Effects.
-Turn off Light Shafts.
-Vignette: is more of preference not much perf difference with it on/off.

See your system has 894 of Vram i'm stretching it but i think it can run with these values:
-Texture downscaling: Disable
-Texture memory size: High
-Shadow quality: midium/high

The following ones are more related to CPU:
-Dangling objects limit and Decals. Yet these govern subtle details in my opinion so lower values might not be apparent.

The Rain, Wet surfaces rain effect option. Haven't reached a part with rain yet so i don't know how much of drainer it is.

Awesome, I'll give those settings a try. Thanks a bundle!

I disabled Bloom not for performance's sake, I should have specified, but because, as you stated, it isn't well implemented. Geralt had this perpetual glow to his skin, and it was annoying me. I haven't been able to tool around with the settings, much, but I'm going to devote tonight to doing so.

John, I also noticed the combat difficulty while taking on multiple foes. I also play on normal, and I think the lack of an ability to alter your fighting style, like changing stances, or sword style, in the first one, really detracts from being able to approach every scenario differently. From what it looks like, you're only capable of controlling the power of your swing with mouse clicks.

I was perusing hardware, yesterday, and I was pleased to discover the prices for i7's is reasonable now. That'll be my next upgrade.

Back