Wireless Weirdness

Mariner

Veteran
I've been using a Cherry Marlin wireless keyboard/laser mouse combination for a couple of years now without anything in the way of problems. However, of late, both the keyboard and mouse have been starting to intermittently flake out with the keyboard becoming unresponsive and missing multiple keystrokes and the mouse missing clicks and moving around the screen jerkily.

My setup is a Windows MCE HTPC connected to my 40" Samsung LCD TV and I sit around 4 metres/15 feet or so from the screen (yeah, I have to zoom in to read text quite often!). The keyboard and mouse themselves are 2.4GHz devices which should, in theory at least, work at 10m+ without any problems and they have done so until the last couple of months.

As far as I can tell, the only thing which has changed of late is that I have replaced my PC's original 19V DC converter (which was flaky in itself) with a 12V PicoPSU which works without apparent problems. I would tend to doubt that this new PSU will be the reason for the problem, however, as I seem to think that the input flakiness did begin before I replaced the old PSU.

When not in use I keep the system in S3 suspend mode and, immediately after resuming from this 'hibernation' the mouse and keyboard appear to work perfectly for a couple of minutes before the control problems begin to show themselves once again. These problems also seem to disappear if I move within, say 3 metres of the PC.

Has anybody heard of similar problems before? I'm of a mind that perhaps the Wireless transmitter for the keyboard/mouse is just beginning to crap out a bit here (though it is only around 2 years old) and I've tried it in different USB sockets without any apparent change. Any ideas?

P.S. Batteries are correctly charged - I'm not that dim. ;)

Either your receiver's starting to crap out on you (since both devices don't register input properly). If that's the case then you just thank your gear for all the fun time you had together and send it off to the recycling center, or maybe there's RF interference coming from somewhere nearby. Try your stuff at a different location, on another PC. If the same thing happens, then your stuff is starting to give up the ghost.

Back