GPD Win 4.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I'd want a PC like this in the future, I've always been attracted to the GPD Win philosophy.

8 cores 16 threads, 6800U AMD with RDNA 2 -I imagine there will be Intel version, I do not know for sure-, 16 to 32GB of LPPDR5, and USB 4.0. You can connect external GPUs to it. Fingerprint reader to enter Windows, full backlit keyboard, buttons with rgb led and native 1080p optical mouse! and a stunning DPI of 368PPI, touchscreen, 6-axis gyroscope, etc etc.

I really like those handhelds, as they pave the way towards affordable APU future.
And i would accept the thickness to have a keyboard.

But for gaming i really request touch pads. Or screen with touch at least. You can shove up those console sticks up your... though, they would break anyway if i put it in the bag over mine.
The most recent i saw on VideoCardz was the first beside SteamDeck which has touch pads. But that was announcement of some upcoming Ryzen 7000 device.

Edit: Oops, i see this one has a little touch pad actually... :love:

It's nice but with the keyboard it adds way to much thickness to the device.
I guess they wanted a device as little as possible and the battery might be the main culprit for the thickness. I liked how it fit in Linus' pocket.

Another good thing is that it has a full sized NVMe inside, which opens up the possibility to use a regular NVMe from a desktop PC.

I really like those handhelds, as they pave the way towards affordable APU future.
And i would accept the thickness to have a keyboard.

But for gaming i really request touch pads. Or screen with touch at least. You can shove up those console sticks up your... though, they would break anyway if i put it in the bag over mine.
The most recent i saw on VideoCardz was the first beside SteamDeck which has touch pads. But that was announcement of some upcoming Ryzen 7000 device.

Edit: Oops, i see this one has a little touch pad actually... :love:
To be honest I'd just keep a folding Bluetooth keyboard

You can use this which is folding and has a largish touch pad https://www.amazon.com/Erkovia-Fold...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You can even go smaller https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Ke...tooth+micro+portable+keyboard,aps,359&sr=8-15

I have the first one myself and I keep it in ym bag when traveling to use with my steam deck.

I guess they wanted a device as little as possible and the battery might be the main culprit for the thickness. I liked how it fit in Linus' pocket.

Another good thing is that it has a full sized NVMe inside, which opens up the possibility to use a regular NVMe from a desktop PC.

The battery could be , we have to wait for a tear down, however I doubt the keyboard plus the hardware to allow the screen to slide up didn't take up additional space. More so it could introduce a fail point with the cables for the screen.

A full size NVME is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because its the common size and so you can find larger nvme's for cheaper. But at the same time it is a lot larger

1674494621092.png

In a mobile device it takes up a lot. Microcenter offers a 2230 1TB for $140 , I am sure we will see 2TB ones this year and likely a drop to around $100 for the 1TB. I am not sure how much more space you really need on a portable system. The steam deck has a micro sd card and for any of these systems do you really need a an nvme for a game like dead cells or a 5 year old AAA title ?

You are looking at almost triple the physical size inside of the handheld.

The battery could be , we have to wait for a tear down, however I doubt the keyboard plus the hardware to allow the screen to slide up didn't take up additional space. More so it could introduce a fail point with the cables for the screen.

A full size NVME is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because its the common size and so you can find larger nvme's for cheaper. But at the same time it is a lot larger

View attachment 8160

In a mobile device it takes up a lot. Microcenter offers a 2230 1TB for $140 , I am sure we will see 2TB ones this year and likely a drop to around $100 for the 1TB. I am not sure how much more space you really need on a portable system. The steam deck has a micro sd card and for any of these systems do you really need a an nvme for a game like dead cells or a 5 year old AAA title ?

You are looking at almost triple the physical size inside of the handheld.
well, the micro sd support is a nice feature that I dunno GPD Win 4 has. Looking at the advantages maybe most people won't need that.

I like how you can use Alt + Tab keyboard commands and things like that :D

the guy even enabled dual booting.

Last edited:
running Steam OS better than on the Steam Deck. (it even has system wide FSR)

@eastmen btw, the GPD Win 4 supports Micro SD as well

Last edited:
running Steam OS better than on the Steam Deck. (it even has system wide FSR)

@eastmen btw, the GPD Win 4 supports Micro SD as well

I'd hope it would run it better than the steam deck , it is after all releasing a year later at double the price of the deck.

Yes the gdp win has a micro sd card slot. So I'm not sure how big of a nvme you actually need. I'd personally trade the larger nvme size for more battery imo.

edit - he also has the 32gig version which starts at $1000. The steam deck only comes with 16 gigs and starts at $400. So its more than double the price of the deck. Its a beautiful machine but at this point and that price I'd wait for the 7x00 version to drop later in the year or early next year. Heck looking at AMD's road map there is a good chance we'd see rdna 3 based apus to replace this with

Last edited:
video should start directly when he talks about the GPD Win 4. I agree with him in a key point.

video should start directly when he talks about the GPD Win 4. I agree with him in a key point.

I would certainly consider this over the 512 gig steam deck. However the issue really comes down to support. Is this going to get the same level of support that valve is giving the steam deck. There have been dozens of updates to steam os since its launch. how is the build quality compared to the deck ? What about replacement parts ? Through valves partnering with ifixt I can get almost any part to fix the deck .

I'd say for the deck the $400 + $140 1tb nvme drive brings you to $540 and for the deck that is what I would recommend for users.

Anyway regardless of that I just think the timing is bad . This year we are going to see Zen 4 + rdna 3 chips in this price/ power range. Seems to just be on the wrong side of the release.

I would certainly consider this over the 512 gig steam deck. However the issue really comes down to support. Is this going to get the same level of support that valve is giving the steam deck. There have been dozens of updates to steam os since its launch. how is the build quality compared to the deck ? What about replacement parts ? Through valves partnering with ifixt I can get almost any part to fix the deck .

I'd say for the deck the $400 + $140 1tb nvme drive brings you to $540 and for the deck that is what I would recommend for users.

Anyway regardless of that I just think the timing is bad . This year we are going to see Zen 4 + rdna 3 chips in this price/ power range. Seems to just be on the wrong side of the release.
support shouldn't be a big issue but good point. Overall, the specs are better in the GPD.

To me though it's brilliance comes from the fact that GPD knows how to make a truly portable handheld with every service available, I think they are going to be copied left and right.

The addition of a keyboard makes this machine the perfect gaming machine, it has a bit of everything in such a small package.

As for new chips, I am just waiting for GPD to have an Intel version of the GPD Win 4 (or 5). Once a Intel based GPD with XeSS support and stuff is released I am going to buy one.

support shouldn't be a big issue but good point. Overall, the specs are better in the GPD.

To me though it's brilliance comes from the fact that GPD knows how to make a truly portable handheld with every service available, I think they are going to be copied left and right.

The addition of a keyboard makes this machine the perfect gaming machine, it has a bit of everything in such a small package.

As for new chips, I am just waiting for GPD to have an Intel version of the GPD Win 4 (or 5). Once a Intel based GPD with XeSS support and stuff is released I am going to buy one.

I would worry about support. GPD is no where near the size of valve am I going to get the same support through both ? I am also sure that valve will sell through many more units of steam deck than GPD will of the win 4 meaning it will be supported much further into the future.

I am not sure what you mean by GPD knowing how to make a truly portable handheld with every service available. It runs windows , you can put windows on the steam deck and you can put steam os on any of the other handhelds like the aya neo.

They have a keyboard sure but where are the touch pads ? The touch pads on the steam deck are extremely important in many games and they are straight up missing from this device. Sure a keyboard is nice but you can get around it with a built in touch keyboard pop up or an in game touch keyboard . Not much to do with that.

I am curious why you want an intel version ? It be dreadfully behind what AMD will be offering in the same time frame ?

I would worry about support. GPD is no where near the size of valve am I going to get the same support through both ? I am also sure that valve will sell through many more units of steam deck than GPD will of the win 4 meaning it will be supported much further into the future.

I am not sure what you mean by GPD knowing how to make a truly portable handheld with every service available. It runs windows , you can put windows on the steam deck and you can put steam os on any of the other handhelds like the aya neo.

They have a keyboard sure but where are the touch pads ? The touch pads on the steam deck are extremely important in many games and they are straight up missing from this device. Sure a keyboard is nice but you can get around it with a built in touch keyboard pop up or an in game touch keyboard . Not much to do with that.

I am curious why you want an intel version ? It be dreadfully behind what AMD will be offering in the same time frame ?
Meteor Lake is behind the corner, and with the desktop experience and the Iris Xe experience, I am sure they are going to build faster APUs than AMD with little power consumption. I am not unhappy with the A770 performance, sometimes it can be considered an underdog.

By available service I meant that the GPD Win 4 has a built-in keyboard and a touchpad. You can use both of them to achieve things that maybe you can't achieve on a Steam Deck or regular Aya Neo. Keyboard combinations like Alt + Tab, Alt + Enter, etc etc, along with regular gamepad controls, a dream come true.

Additionally, with that I meant that the GPD Win 4 has a bit of everything, outputs/inputs wise.

PS Vita 2 concept as described by the white gloved :mrgreen: šŸ˜† youtuber in the video below

Meteor Lake is behind the corner, and with the desktop experience and the Iris Xe experience, I am sure they are going to build faster APUs than AMD with little power consumption. I am not unhappy with the A770 performance, sometimes it can be considered an underdog.

By available service I meant that the GPD Win 4 has a built-in keyboard and a touchpad. You can use both of them to achieve things that maybe you can't achieve on a Steam Deck or regular Aya Neo. Keyboard combinations like Alt + Tab, Alt + Enter, etc etc, along with regular gamepad controls, a dream come true.

Additionally, with that I meant that the GPD Win 4 has a bit of everything, outputs/inputs wise.

The latest rumors put meteor lake as being canceled at least on desktop and instead just going to raptor lake refresh

So who knows how mobile performance gpus might be. It also sounds like if it were to come it be end of 2023 if not early 2024 so it would put it in line with even newer amd chips. I dunno we will have to see. I have a hard time trusting intel with graphics performance and drivers.

Sure the GPD Win 4 has little touch pads but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they will be little use. For some of us they may be a none starter because of their size anyway

I don't think you would be unhappy with the device at all if you buy it. I just think it release period will quickly get overwhelmed with releases of the new AMD stuff

how gorgeous the device is aside, what surprised me the most is EmuDeck, which he describes as an emulator manager that downloads and installs the best specific emulator for your machine and pre-configures all the emulator settings for you, so you do not have to spend much time learning how each of those emulators work.

Additionally, Batocera also surprised me. It is amazing to carry on a pen full PC games, emulator games and so on without having to install anything and all of that working from the get go.

Back