Wipeout HD [PSN]

So are we still referring to WipeoutHD as a 1080p game then?
When rendering in 1080p mode, it's lowest reslution is 12XXx1080, so it's clearly *not* a 720p game, but is it rendering 1920x1080 frames often enough to be labelled a 1080p experience?

It is rendering full 1080p the majority of frames with a reduction when things get busy, according to grandmaster.

So are we still referring to WipeoutHD as a 1080p game then?
When rendering in 1080p mode, it's lowest reslution is 12XXx1080, so it's clearly *not* a 720p game, but is it rendering 1920x1080 frames often enough to be labelled a 1080p experience?

It's always a 1080p experience, and most of the time it's a Full 1080p experience ;)

I've been deliberately looking for any telltales of when the horizontal resolution drops, but the game is so fast and smooth that so far I haven't seen it. Even if it dropped to 1280x1080 suddenly, that's still the resolution of Prologue, which is hardly a graphical mess.

So would it be correct to say that wipeout HD is.

1080P. 1920x1080 2xMSAA most of the time, and 1280x1080 2xMSAA some of the time.

720P. Just downscaled from 1080P mode?. Because im playing on a 720P (with overscan) and this is incredibly clean.

So would it be correct to say that wipeout HD is.

1080P. 1920x1080 2xMSAA most of the time, and 1280x1080 2xMSAA some of the time.

Apparently, it progressively drops towards 1280x1080, so I guess it's more like (1920 > r >= 1280)x1080 some of the time :D

720P. Just downscaled from 1080P mode?. Because im playing on a 720P (with overscan) and this is incredibly clean.

I haven't forced 720p mode to see, maybe someone has in the Neverending Resolution thread?

i purchased the game yesterday and participated in a few races. visuals are clean and the audio was quite nice; my subwoofer had a good time ;)
When I run the audio setup, where sounds come from each speaker at a time, I don't get any sound from center speaker and subwoofer.
In game too, I haven't noticed much sound from either speaker.
Is there some setting I've overlooked, or is the game audio 4.0 instead of 5.1?

Has anyone else noticed that the music thats playing (i ve only tested custom tracks) gets affected by the level and some weapons (shield muffles music)? (i think its just preset filters but its cool anyway) like when you go through a enclosed area it echos and sounds like its being played in a hall.

Either im not hearing things or im going insane.

You are insane. What are you talking about?

Nah.....Its true. I ve mentioned it too. Its awesome with the right music. Especially the Zone levels.

When you jump the music is pitched, when you enter a tunnel it adds echo (this was also part of Wipeout1. I am not sure about the others), when you are low in energy the music fades, when you reach different speed Classes in the Zone levels and the environment changes color the music temporary has some "flanger" effects etc.

I got hooked with it because of these effects. Wipeout 1 and Wipeout XL was an ecstasy of sound and visuals combined. This one takes it to another level. I envisioned a Wipeout like this that played with sound. And it looks like the developers were thinking of the same thing. :D

My only problem with the game is the ingame music. Some trucks are top notch. But the majority is too commercial. Wipeout1's music was specifically composed for the game by Cold Storage, Orbital's was remixed for the game and the others just fitted perfectly. In XL we saw the return of Cold Storage and coincidentally the music from the known artists also fitted perfectly. From there on it went downhill. They just took electronic music from known artists and pasted it in every sequel.

The attitude was "as long as its electronica and commercial it fits with Wipeout" which is wrong.

Some shots I took the past few days:

wohd20080930153639f35jpgf35jpg.jpg

wohd20080930181252e05jpge05jpg.jpg

wohd200809301817008d2jpg8d2jpg.jpg

wohd20080929194259e15jpge15jpg.jpg

wohd200809251811512c2jpg2c2jpg.jpg

When I run the audio setup, where sounds come from each speaker at a time, I don't get any sound from center speaker and subwoofer.
In game too, I haven't noticed much sound from either speaker.
Is there some setting I've overlooked, or is the game audio 4.0 instead of 5.1?
It's working now 5.1, must have been a bug or something.
The sound is impressive, hopefully there'll be downloadable music tracks in future

Anyone having some glitches with the music?

Also, the netcode could be better. After playing a few times online, I noticed that while my friend and I were still in the same game and running, neither could see each other. I hope they fix this soon.

Other than that, extremely impressed with the game.

Has anyone else noticed that the music thats playing (i ve only tested custom tracks) gets affected by the level and some weapons (shield muffles music)? (i think its just preset filters but its cool anyway) like when you go through a enclosed area it echos and sounds like its being played in a hall.

Either im not hearing things or im going insane.

You are insane. What are you talking about?

Nah.....Its true. I ve mentioned it too. Its awesome with the right music. Especially the Zone levels.

When you jump the music is pitched, when you enter a tunnel it adds echo (this was also part of Wipeout1. I am not sure about the others), when you are low in energy the music fades, when you reach different speed Classes in the Zone levels and the environment changes color the music temporary has some "flanger" effects etc.

Anyone having some glitches with the music?

You're talking about the above quoted right?. If so then yes its intentional, and awseome.

You're talking about the above quoted right?. If so then yes its intentional, and awseome.

Nope. I've noticed skips in the music or short pauses. It's definately not in the track - I've noticed this in both the default as well as custom music tracks. I also noticed that the game seems to jerk for a short moment when people come online on PSN (and the message is overlayed in the top right corner). This isn't a problem though.

About the music pausing for a short instance - I've also tried disabling the "music effects" in the menu. Sadly, with no result as of yet.

Macabre's shots alone will force me to get this... anyone not completely blown away by how good this title looks?

I just love the photo mode, it's brilliant - every game should have one - the fetures/effects are awsome...shame there isn't a rewind button tho :p

Back