Wipeout HD [PSN]

Titanio

Legend
I wouldn't ordinarily post a rumour, but certain things seem rather 'coincidental' about this one.

A few days ago, Aftonbladet.se posted a release list supposedly from SCEE that contained this little nugget:

Wipeout HD - November

Not much on it's own. A poster at NeoGAF rather knowingly followed up by saying:

RiotPelaaja said:
Wipeout HD will be announced in August.

Hardly much to be going on. But then today, Kikizo published an interview with SCEE Liverpool on the Wipeout franchise, and asked a (knowing?) question, extracting an interesting reply:

Kikizo: Talking about the PlayStation Store on PS3, it's proved a lot more popular than many thought it would, and the quality on there has been higher than people expected even compared to Live - full-blown titles like WarHawk are only on Network. So do you think that WipEout - maybe in HD! - would prove popular as a download on PS Network?

Buckley: I think WipEout in HD would be stonking! And I think, you know, the arcade nature of WipEout, makes it so pick up and playable, so I think it would be brilliant... It's obvious we're doing a WipEout for the PS3 but... well, there will be an announcement in August.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/wipeout_iv_p1.asp

Seems like a happy series of 'coincidences' to me.. Hopefully this is true, but I hate that we have to wait until AFTER E3 to find out!

Personally I d want to see a fully fledged next gen Wipeout

I don't think this would suggest you won't get that :) Rumour is this is being developed by another team within the Liverpool studio...a "fully fledged next gen Wipeout" is being developed also, but obviously will come later.

Wipeout has always been on the radar. It's the secret game that Sony has kept under wraps. Sony has mentioned on numerous occasions that they have a number of titles they haven't announced and Wipeout was always one of them. It's using the Motorstorm engine and the game will definitely be released this year.

With some PSN games running north of 700 and 800MB, I think it's entirely possible that a PSN Wipeout would be "full" and "next gen". Just because it would be downloadable wouldn't take anything away from the title.

There was a rumour of a Wipeout Pure (PSP) for PSN in 1080p this year, then a next-gen PS3-Wipeout in 2008.

Can't remember where the rumour originated from though. Sorry.

There was a rumour of a Wipeout Pure (PSP) for PSN in 1080p this year, then a next-gen PS3-Wipeout in 2008.

Can't remember where the rumour originated from though. Sorry.

I've heard this as well. I remember telling Vysez about it. :p

So Warhawk isn't next gen?

I didnt play the beta but it certainly isnt going to be the Warhawk I was expecting. Its good but not mindbloawing and neither does it offer a single player mode similar to the original unless I missed something.

Since I am a fan of the Wipeout series I want the best possible and most complete Wipeout. And I have my doubts a downloadable version of the game will be as good as a game planned from the beginning on a BR disk, concentrating on perfection without worrying how much GB it will end up in PSN and the fact that there are many regions that cant buy your game if its only in PSN.

I dont mind though the existence of a downloadable version as long as some people suggested a complete Wipeout game is already in the works

Hopefully they've been playing a lot of the first game to remind themselves what was good about the franchise in the first place.

All the others, in my opinion, have been rubbish by comparison.

Hopefully they've been playing a lot of the first game to remind themselves what was good about the franchise in the first place.

All the others, in my opinion, have been rubbish by comparison.

Totally agree ;)

They should also bring back Designers Republic for the art direction design and style of the game.

These guys were amazing at providing the elements that made Wipeout's world feel like an already existing (or a forthcoming) futuristic underground cult!

Cold Storage should make a comeback in the soundtrack, they should refine the camera system and physics(It's ironic that 1's and XL's camera work and physics felt far better on the PS1 than what Fusion was on the more powerful PS2), make the controls tighter, and reduce the overdone futuristic environments. The original Wipeout and (slightly less) the second felt both realistic and futuristic.

They were believable and with personality.

And they should forget picking up randomly electronic music tracks for the game which is something they have done with the latest games. They should choose soundtrack that fits with the environment and world of the Wipeout series. That and the art direction were some of the biggest reasons Wipeout had such a huge impact! The music fitted perfectly with the world, and the world fitted perfectly with the music as well as everything else

I didnt play the beta but it certainly isnt going to be the Warhawk I was expecting. Its good but not mindbloawing and neither does it offer a single player mode similar to the original unless I missed something.

Since I am a fan of the Wipeout series I want the best possible and most complete Wipeout. And I have my doubts a downloadable version of the game will be as good as a game planned from the beginning on a BR disk, concentrating on perfection without worrying how much GB it will end up in PSN and the fact that there are many regions that cant buy your game if its only in PSN.

I dont mind though the existence of a downloadable version as long as some people suggested a complete Wipeout game is already in the works

I also had my doubts about Warhawk, since it's a PSN game, but after playing it quickly became apparent that it's one of the best PS3 games that will be released this fiscal year by Sony. The massive size of the maps, the 32 (with the possibility of 64) person multiplayer chaos, the beautiful graphics all make this a potential system seller - it's that good.

But, with that said, the exclusion of a single player campaign is disappointing. It's not that the single player experience would have equaled or exceeded the multiplayer fun, but rather it would have been a good training ground before your excursion into the online mode. Trust me, Warhawk online is no place for a beginner and unless you take the time to setup a private server and get acquainted with the controls you'll quickly find yourself getting blown out of the sky repeatedly. It can become highly frustrating for a new player because it's almost as if they see your inexperience in flying the Warhawk and they all make a bee line for you.

This wouldn't be too surprising. I am wondering if this would be a small, free, demo (ala GT HD) or a full game in its own right (ala Tekken HD). Not sure which I'd prefer.

(Oh, and it would be nice for that brave soul who stealth-rated this thread as 'one-star terrible' could come forward and tell us how terrible it really is..I've seen this same thing happen in a few threads here for no apparent reason, and it's just a tad annoying)

I mnetioned that in the B3D Forum forum. Some lunatic just cruised through forum rating some threads 1 star and others 5 star, willy-nilly. Kids, eh? I blame the parents.

1up has thrown their hat into the ring, but still take with a grain of salt for now..

1UP learned Wipeout HD is simply the first step, with a "major" Wipeout release penciled in for sometime in 2008. Wipeout HD will feature a online multiplayer mode and, while unconfirmed, likely HD-enabled tracks from Wipeout Pulse, as well.

Wipeout HD should arrive on the PlayStation Network before the end of the year.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160551

Wipeout is the game that should be on in-store demo kiosks this fall. Make it so, Sony, you know you want to!

Back