Wipeout HD [PSN]

I've been playing GT5P on a native 1080 set for the past 5 months.
I sit approximately 10-12 ft. away from my (large) screen and you can bet your ass I can see the distinctive difference between the 1920x1080/30fps real time render with the garage and pit crew and the 1200 (edit:1280) x1080/30 fps replay mode. (I'm not talking about the aliasing and shimmering)
The replay mode is extremely good looking, but the detail and sharpness you see in that full 1080 garage render...it nearly throws itself out of the tv screen.
My point is that I can tell an upscaled 1080p image from a native 1080p image, when viewing them on my native 1080 set. Anyone with decent eyesight and a reasonably good tv can as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I specifically mentioned the 30 fps replay mode because the full HD rendering of the garage and crew is also rendered at 30 fps.
You cannot sit here and tell me that an upscaled 1280x1080 image yields the same image quality as a native 1080 image. The detail is more apparent in a 1920x1080 image and the image itself will generally appear sharper than its upscaled counterpart.

I specifically mentioned the 30 fps replay mode because the full HD rendering of the garage and crew is also rendered at 30 fps.
You cannot sit here and tell me that an upscaled 1280x1080 image yields the same image quality as a native 1080 image. The detail is more apparent in a 1920x1080 image and the image itself will generally appear sharper than its upscaled counterpart.

No, I'm telling you that you cannot tell the difference between 1080p and an upscaled 1080p image (especially since it's higher res than 720p).

You are comparing visuals from TWO different rendering modes, both of which have different filters applied to them, and as a result, cannot be compared.

A good comparison would be booting up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and setting your PS3 to output 720p, and then setting it to output 1080p.

If you notice a difference it's all in your head, as you really can't tell from a normal viewing distance. That is 100% fact. If this were an experiment, the control would be a game you have no knowledge of, and you would be exposed to it in an upscaled resolution, and a native 1080p resolution, in a couch, from say, 7 feet. I am 100% positive that you will not be able to tell the difference 100% of the time, and those answers that you may get correct, would be a result of the 50/50 split.

http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...derstanding-1080p-resolution-in-displays.html

Please read this.

Again, from more than 6ft, on anything smaller than a 50" display, you will absolutely NOT notice the difference.

BTW, that difference you are noticing may have a lot to do with the frame count being cut in half, and the implementation of motion blur, which will create a softer image overall.

Your statement could be true for movies (allthough i would still disagree from experience) but videogames are a whole different ball game. Movies use real life as a scource which is of infinite resolution, then downscaled to 1080p or 720p. Games are different, when a game renders at 720p native that tends to be the resolution of the source material (unless downscaled from 1080) likewise with 1080p. Its the resolution of the source that is the important part here not whether each pixel in the screen is distinctly visible. A 1080p scource will look better than a 12**x1080 scource even if downscaling to 720p , even if only slighly as it will have more detail to compose the final image with.

http://www.audioholics.com/educatio...derstanding-1080p-resolution-in-displays.html

Please read this.

Again, from more than 6ft, on anything smaller than a 50" display, you will absolutely NOT notice the difference.

BTW, that difference you are noticing may have a lot to do with the frame count being cut in half, and the implementation of motion blur, which will create a softer image overall.

That is not about digital images from a rendered scene. I can tell NGS in 720P vs 1080P from 6' away on a 42" LCD, the scaled image is worse due to the non-isometric pixel size (1280x720 vs 960x1080).

BTW stating "That is 100% fact" is a sure sign of a weak argument.

No, I'm telling you that you cannot tell the difference between 1080p and an upscaled 1080p image (especially since it's higher res than 720p).

You are comparing visuals from TWO different rendering modes, both of which have different filters applied to them, and as a result, cannot be compared.

A good comparison would be booting up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and setting your PS3 to output 720p, and then setting it to output 1080p.

If you notice a difference it's all in your head, as you really can't tell from a normal viewing distance. That is 100% fact. If this were an experiment, the control would be a game you have no knowledge of, and you would be exposed to it in an upscaled resolution, and a native 1080p resolution, in a couch, from say, 7 feet. I am 100% positive that you will not be able to tell the difference 100% of the time, and those answers that you may get correct, would be a result of the 50/50 split.
First,in the context of your "argument", the Ninja Gaiden Sigma comparison would be a foolish experiment, as that game does not render a full hd frame in its 1080 rendering mode. You dont have a native 1080 image to compare to the 720p image.
Second, you absolutely can tell an upscaled 1080p image from a native one!!! (see the new "1080p" Ferrari game for PS3)
Upscaled 1080p content may not even be internally rendered at an HD resolution!! (Lair)
While GT5 is being rendered at a resolution higher than 720p,the vehicles and textures in the full 1080p render appear to be sharper and more crisp than the in game car models (from the 30fps replay mode)--shader detail is also more pronounced in the garage render.

Wipeout HD: Videos, videos!
2008-09-23 22:32:19

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7119_en.html

All videos are availabe as 720p60, AVC video, AAC audio, .mp4 container or 720p60, VC-1 video, WMA audio, .wmv container.

And for those who don't know them already, here are two 1080p60 trailers for WipEout HD:

WipEout HD Gravity Ends Trailer 1080p:

http://www.wipeouthd.com/

Select region, navigate to VIDEOS, select TRAILER 0.1, select DOWNLOAD 1080P, unzip after download.

Trailer is available in different languages, depending on selected region.

WipEout HD Games Convention 2008 Trailer 1080p:

http://www.exp.de/download.php?id=15451

Select mirror, start download.

Both trailers are 1080p60, AVC video, AAC audio, .mp4 container.

Wipeout HD is on EU PS Stores now. But I will wait until US PS Store is updated.

US price = 20 USD = 332 CZK (Czech currency)
UK price = 22 USD = 12 GBP = 369 CZK
CZ price = 29 USD = 16 GBP = 485 CZK

I call this rip-off.
Thank God I can buy games on US PS Store with my credit card.

I want the Euro version to play with minimum lag online since games are region locked. But I cant download the EU version:devilish:

Had a quick half an hour, early thoughts are extremely positive! Menu screen is very highly polished and very.....clinical yet stylised (60fps). Game gfx are very well done indeed, very smooth, jaggies at a minimum (@1080p), really solid 60fps with barely a hitch in sight, pretty high textures dotted about (rock surfaces look particularly good), weapon effects look great also. Online theres no noticable lag which is a great sign (EU region). Feels like Wipeout always did. All in all an absolute steal at 12 squids!

I want the Euro version to play with minimum lag online since games are region locked.

Really? Have you any proof.

edit: online is not regionaly locked, you can choose locality when searching for online games

Really? Have you any proof.

edit: online is not regionaly locked, you can choose locality when searching for online games

Proof of what? My country isnt supported by PSN.

The online modes of Tekken 5, Motorstorm and MGS4 are region locked. I ll be very happy if Wipeout HD isnt :D

Can someone who owns it confirm this for me?

Please read this.

Hehehe that link has been abused so much on the AVS forum, i suggest we keep it there.

Back