Wipeout HD [PSN]

wow I'm finding this game difficult. I'm playing on skilled... not having too too much trouble with the races but the time trials are killing me. I'm lucky to get bronze on the first run and it's taking me ~3 tries to get silver most of the time, gold is completely out of my league

I went back to this game for a bit to try some of the music I had ripped to my HDD with it and played with the d-pad for a bit - man, it's embarrassing how much easier that is than any of the other control methods. There's tons of assisting and stabilising that isn't in any of the analog control methods, making those other two kind of pointless (although motion sensing is still a lot of fun). The game was really made for it - you can also tell by the method for pulling off a roll (left-right-left or vice versa - what fun would it have been if it would have happened automatically when you just tilt the controller so far it's upside down or something like that).

Upshot though is that I get a lot further into the game easily (well, fairly easily) with using the d-pad.

The way this game integrates your music is awesome though. Picks up where you left off in the next run, music is muted when your damage is critical or in a different way when the shield is up, in tunnels, etc. We know all that obviously but it's still awesome.

Yes, but the max speed is like 90% so I dont think guys with autopilot is very succesfull in the long run.

I got my "Gemini" trophy with "auto-pilot" set to on. Taped X on the second controller and it raced fine by itself 20 races, made it to the finishline all the time. Heck he even beat me in one race when I got shot down on a bridge. :p (phantom)

I now have only 2 races left on the 8th racegrid til i got the "Elite Campaign Legend" - i love this game! :love:
But goddamn the AI can be a pain in the ass on Elite, they cheat like mad!

I broke my first controller in years trying to get that trophy (I hate Chenghou Project with a passion), but I have it now. Racing on Elite Phantom is sadly more luck than skill based.

When I do that, I NEVER finish the race :LOL:
:LOL:

It needs practice. When I decided to remove the assists I couldnt finish the races either. After I played for some time the "new" controls became second nature. You cant go back once you manage it. You might even find the time trials easier. Pilot assist slows you down a bit here and there and lose valuable time. To win with the pilot assists you have to be god damn accurate to compensate for the lost speed.

I couldn't play with the pilot assist on. Kept banging on the walls, whereas with it disabled I had no trouble getting golds on the lower ranks.
I've played most of the WipEouts before, and the controls are a second nature already.
You need to "get into the flow", WipEout is not easy ;)

"Assist hasn't been on for more than one race, I think."

Yeah, just for the trophy.

Aren't you confusing this with motion controls? Or is there a trophy for winning a race with assists that I didn't think about? I played to the third batch of races with motion controls only myself, getting the trophy for winning a race with motion controls in my second try.

Later on though using motion controls just isn't fast enough. The game is made for quick and short adjustments of course, and the d-pad is far too easy for that because it auto-stabilises you after your adjustment.

So what are everyones thoughts on WipEout Fury?

I downloaded it yesterday and gave it a quick try. I think I like the new tracks (only played 3 so far) and I love how the game just basically doubeld in appeal by just adding a cheap extension pack!

Still not sure on the new tracks though - especially the zone-battle (or what it's called) is wierd and very chaotic. I think they may have gone a bit too far with this update. WipEout is best when its just WipEout in its original formula (as Fusion proved, which was rather bad). Some of the modis have noticable drops in framerate (only noticed it twice in the zone-battle mode, but it's still way more than the nigh on perfect framerate in the original modes).

As a big plus - the new tracks feature very very nice visuals. I'm not sure, but I think there's a lot more eye candy in them than in the other ones. Very nice.

My take?

I completely love it! Yeah, it's a steal! It's more than double the original game, with new modes added, 8 normal tracks, 4 zone tracks, new plane models, the detonator and zone battle modes, etc. Even the new campaign mode is 80 events vs the 86 events of the original. Crazy.

I really like the new tracks - they are so much smoother than the old ones in terms of 'driving line' - the old ones sometimes felt a bit counterintuitive and never felt quite right for the ship I was flying. The environments don't always look as pretty, but the track itself is often really cool looking with the transparent and multi-coloured floors and the stuff (like hundreds of tiny planes or a big cruiseship) going on in the background. The new music tracks they added are also brilliant. Have to look up what that one track I noticed in particular is called, it's perfect for this game and really rocks (and is great in 5.1)

I really like the Zone battle - I loved the original Zone mode, but perhaps I loved the graphics about it the most, so I'm really happy we get two new game modes to play in, and Zone Battle is multi-player to boot. It's fairly simple and doesn't seem chaotic at all. Detonator is also a nice new distraction, in that you shoot at mines and bombs. There's also an interesting trophy for that mode, though I don't think I'll manage to get that anytime soon. ;) (haven't tried yet though)

And of course Eliminator mode is great also, and really makes sense for this game. I love that they added the ability to flip your ship backwards on this and fly the other direction. Nothing like suddenly turning around and unleashing rockets on a number of people chasing you.

For me, this update makes Wipeout the most like what I loved about the original Wipeout on PS1, and I couldn't be happier. I only hope - however unlikely that seems - we'll get a new Wipeout someday with a new flying model which is a much more complex physics based affair where you can make a bigger difference with your steering over just having to hit those accelleration pads.

I also love the new pixel animation menu stuff they added, looks great.

I didn't notice many framedrops, but I do think you see the resolution dynamically dropping a little more than in HD.

If you already have Wipeout HD, this is a steal. There are few expansion packs that add more than 100% of content to the original game! If you don't have Wipeout HD yet, this expansion kit is a reason to get it. And we *must* get a B3D crew together to play this online. It's a lot of fun to play this online especially with friends, and the new Zone Battle and Eliminator modes are great additions.

The only downside I can think of is that an update this big should probably have added double the trophies as well.

Id be up for some multiplay! Havent played Wipeout for ages so im a bit rusty but i think ill pick up Fury tonite an get back into it!

Yeah I agree. Anyone who owns Wipeout has to get this. You ultimately get another game for just the price of the expansion pack and it has just as many new challenges/events to keep you occupied.

I'll give it another go tonight. Not sure if I'm up for online play though. I tried it at the beginning and never really liked the experience much (it was full of lag when I tried it when HD came out). Maybe the new modes suit online play better though.

Arwin:
Zone-Battle mode: Care to explain how it works? I'm still a bit confused. I noticed there's a definite incentive to do perfect laps (though that's very hard when you have AI ships sticking to the ideal line) and try to get over the boost-pads. What happens when you press square? Is that good or bad? I noticed it gets quicker, though that didn't seem to help me winning. What about those block-boost-pads that pop up? Do you have to avoid them or do you gain an advantage if you smash through them?

Maybe understanding it better will eventually make me like it.... :oops:

Yeah I agree. Anyone who owns Wipeout has to get this. You ultimately get another game for just the price of the expansion pack and it has just as many new challenges/events to keep you occupied.

I'll give it another go tonight. Not sure if I'm up for online play though. I tried it at the beginning and never really liked the experience much (it was full of lag when I tried it when HD came out). Maybe the new modes suit online play better though.

Never seen any lag yet. Maybe that was just at the beginning, I don't think I played online initially.

Arwin:
Zone-Battle mode: Care to explain how it works? I'm still a bit confused. I noticed there's a definite incentive to do perfect laps (though that's very hard when you have AI ships sticking to the ideal line) and try to get over the boost-pads. What happens when you press square? Is that good or bad? I noticed it gets quicker, though that didn't seem to help me winning. What about those block-boost-pads that pop up? Do you have to avoid them or do you gain an advantage if you smash through them?

Maybe understanding it better will eventually make me like it.... :oops:

I didn't think it was that hard, but I don't know what level of difficulty you play at (note that you can at any time switch between novice, skilled and elite for any race or challenge). The block-boost-pads are barriers you (or others) can put up to make life hard on whomever following you (or forgets about it in the next round). They slow you down, so no advantage :D (though there's a related trophy I think). You can bring up a shield temporarily with the circle though so if you time that right, maybe there's still some advantage. The perfect lap thing is a bonus for your statistics and points for your loyatly thing that unlocks more versions of your vehicle.

So the basics of battle zone is just avoiding others and barriers, hit the pads (which is the opposite of regular zone where it's probably better to avoid the pads) and place barriers at the right moment yourself. I'll test and see if there's an advantage of hitting barriers using the shield.

Never seen any lag yet. Maybe that was just at the beginning, I don't think I played online initially.

It definately was there in some of the races I had when HD came out. Either that, or a combination of lag and slowdown due to everyone going on a killing frenzy firing with whatever they picked up on the track...

arwin said:
I didn't think it was that hard, but I don't know what level of difficulty you play at (note that you can at any time switch between novice, skilled and elite for any race or challenge). The block-boost-pads are barriers you (or others) can put up to make life hard on whomever following you (or forgets about it in the next round). They slow you down, so no advantage :D (though there's a related trophy I think). You can bring up a shield temporarily with the circle though so if you time that right, maybe there's still some advantage. The perfect lap thing is a bonus for your statistics and points for your loyatly thing that unlocks more versions of your vehicle.

So the basics of battle zone is just avoiding others and barriers, hit the pads (which is the opposite of regular zone where it's probably better to avoid the pads) and place barriers at the right moment yourself. I'll test and see if there's an advantage of hitting barriers using the shield.

Thanks for that! After spending some time with it on the weekend, I think I finally got some of the basics needed to win and be competitive. In Zone-Battle - the key isn't to use the boost right after going over two boost-pads, but to use them to fill up your "boost gauge". The more you collect, the higher your zone-level will go once you ignite it. That much may have been obvious to everyone but me I guess... Makes the whole mode a peace of cake actually, even on the higher AI difficulty levels (I rarely play novice)...

Detonator, I still haven't figured out yet - apart from shooting at everything that can harm you. Hate the gun has to frequently reload, but I guess that's part of the skill. Even so, I find this mode to be quite distracting as you can't really concentrate on "racing" but more about surviving (e.g. not crashing into mines/bombs) and using your ammo accoardingly....

The Eliminator mode, I just don't like. How fast you can lap the tracks are totally irrelevant, so picking up randomly selected weapons is the objective which is... a bit down to luck. If you're lucky enough to get the quake, you can build a healthy lead quite quick, especially if there are lots of opponents on the track (online or offline). This makes for some entertainment, but in the light of it being Wipeout... I just think it distracts from some of the great racing and speed adrenalin that this game should offer.

A much better "Eliminator mode" IMO, would have been to have a fixed amount of laps (depending on how many participate in the race). If you have 8 opponents, you have 9 laps where at the end of every single lap, the contender trailing last gets "eliminated". This would make it interesting since speed would be just as important as picking up weapons for defence/attack and maximizing boost-pads to get away. If this would be too challenging for the participants starting at the back of the grid, I guess you could work your way around that to make it a bit more level playing field for all.

As it stands though, I just don't think eliminator and detonator mode in its current form really suits the Wipeout gameplay. This is still more a racing game than a shooter...

I guess I applaud them for giving us something new to play with and trying out new things. I still much prefer the "original" game modes to any of the new ones by far.

That won't stop me fron participating in some online matches in the future though... playing with friends makes up for it! :D

Well it's in Eliminator to some extent: your shield is repaired a fair bit each time you complete a lap, and you get some points for completing a lap. Also, it's very important to catch up/stay with most of the other players if you want to be able to score. So I found that your racing skills remain important even in this mode.

As for Detonator, flying around the track and not hitting missiles is still a flying skill. You can't shoot everything, that's the clever bit about the (very intentional) reload delay. You also get a lot of points if you shoot combinations, and for shooting the mine from as far away as possible. I use the EMP for clearing difficult to see turns from mines. I also like that bullets bounce off the wall once. I haven't managed any 10 or 15 combos yet, let alone the trophy for emptying a clip without wasting bullets (i.e. 100% accuracy) .. that's really hard because you shoot two bullets at the same time, so you have to aim for pairs of mines, though I suppose it would get easier at harder levels with more mines. ;)

Yeah, Battle Zone is fairly easy, though they do get smarter in the higher classes. And yeah, the trick indeed is to wait as long as possible - I think it even says that when you start a race in this mode, there's a small description of this mode just before or after the track has loaded with tips like this.

Yeah, the online is a lot of fun, and I also frequently check if my lap/racetime or scores are anything close to that of you guys :D (which seems to be rarely the case, unless I picked up a few >> powerups ;) - clearly I still suck)

Back