PSA - Check/Upgrade your powerline adaptors

I've been running Netgear 200's for the past 5-7 years. Now, we all know that powerline adapters are superior to using wireless as even AC won't have the same throughput. But we also know that powerline adapters are rating according to their maximum theoretical throughput and in real world conditions we will never see those rates.

For example, the NetGear 200's indicate a maximum speed of 2 gigabytes per second and they don't come close to that.

When I made my new build, a ran some Ookla speedtests and found out that my systems upstairs, going through the Netgear powerline adapters were getting 30Mps as opposed to my system downstairs directly into the router that were getting 60Mps (which is what I'm supposed to be getting from my internet provider). So using the powerline adapters, I was losing half of my download bandwidth even though the Netgear 200 is supposed to allow up to 2 Gigabytes of download speed.

There's new chips out, and there's new adapters based off of them. After all of the reviews, I decided to ignore the latest products by Netgear,Tslink, and Dlink that boasted speeds of 200 Gps, and chose a set from Extollo which only claims 150 Gps, although it uses the same chipset as the others that claim 200 Gps.

I don't want this to seem like an ad for Extollo, I'm sure that the other options that claim 200 Gps would have similar results. But after a rather long (so long I thought they weren't going to work), syncing I now get over 60Mps on my new system upstairs, which is the same speed I get from the system downstairs that is plugged directly into the router that is plugged directly into the modem.

I'm not sure my network speed, (if anybody knows how to test that, I'd love to run those tests as well), but upgrading the powerline adapters have now maxed out my internet speed through the powerline adapters. So, fantastic.

Even though those old adapters were supposedly rated for 2 Gps, I was only getting 30/60 Mps. With the new ones, rated at 150 Gps, I'm getting 60/60 Mps. Pretty damn cool. If you're using powerline adapters, you might want to test them and think about replacing them with ones that are using these new chipsets.

For the Powerline adaptors I use the supplier has a little Windows utility that shows all the devices on the network along with their link rates (transmit and receive).

Yup I had to download it from the website. It wasn't needed to get stuff going, just a utility for diagnostics.

cool info. I ran network cable through the walls a few years ago before we repainted. A few hours of work but now everything is set up nicely and I have a wireless router for each floor so no dead spaces and anything that can be plugged in is plugged in

Back