Wipeout HD [PSN]

This game is absolutely beautiful. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best looking game I've played on my PS3. By that I mean it's closest to achieving the target it set for itself.

I haven't played much (and haven't tried online yet) but the couple of trophies I have got so far seem to have struck a nice middle ground between insanely difficult and too easy.

I'd highly recommend it - the racing takes a bit of getting used to (I've never played WO before) but I noticed a distinct improvement as I played.

This game is absolutely beautiful. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best looking game I've played on my PS3. By that I mean it's closest to achieving the target it set for itself.

I haven't played much (and haven't tried online yet) but the couple of trophies I have got so far seem to have struck a nice middle ground between insanely difficult and too easy.

I'd highly recommend it - the racing takes a bit of getting used to (I've never played WO before) but I noticed a distinct improvement as I played.

Agreed. You wont find a better looking PS3 game until 2009.

Public Service warning :)

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/25/rumor-wipeout-hd-crashing-for-users-with-large-friend-lists/

Since the European PSN Store was updated earlier today we've been hearing reports of people experiencing crashes and game freezing whilst playing WipEout HD. Members of the official European PlayStation forums think they might have the answer. It seems to only be happening to the more sociable PSN users; those with over fifty friends in their friends lists.

There's no word on a fix, other than signing out of the PlayStation Network while you're playing. Obviously, this will prevent you from playing online.

I like this game too, am totally happy with the motion controls and now won't play without it, even if I suck compared to some. It's just much more fun that way. Also, I was rewarded with a trophy for it. ;)

I like this game too, am totally happy with the motion controls and now won't play without it, even if I suck compared to some. It's just much more fun that way. Also, I was rewarded with a trophy for it. ;)

We should've known! But thanks for the trophy tip off... I'll just have to have a little looksee...

I'm surprised with the framerate in this game. Perhaps I've been playing too much GT5, but I kept expecting the fps count to drop dramatically whenever I encountered a bunch of explosions and collisions; however ,the only setback during such instances is a slight bit of screen tear. This is one well optimized game. I'm equally surprised that the things being rendered in this game are of such high resolution, particularly the textures on the track. I have a hard time believing the developers were able to produce this kind image fidelity in full hd at 60 fps on RSX alone.

I'm surprised with the framerate in this game. Perhaps I've been playing too much GT5, but I kept expecting the fps count to drop dramatically whenever I encountered a bunch of explosions and collisions; however ,the only setback during such instances is a slight bit of screen tear. This is one well optimized game. I'm equally surprised that the things being rendered in this game are of such high resolution, particularly the textures on the track. I have a hard time believing the developers were able to produce this kind image fidelity in full hd at 60 fps on RSX alone. I'd take a wild guess that the rendering pipeline involves SPU shaders.

To achieve this solid and stable 60 fps framerate, the game obviously doesn't always render at full 1920 x 1080p:

http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/09/wipeout-hds-1080p-sleight-of-hand.html

Or read this post from grandmaster and the following posts regarding this topic:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1220418#post1220418

Last edited by a moderator:
I also played some online this morning before I went to work. In a game with 3 people, all my peers were from EU (I live in Canada) and there was no lag to speak of.

Ok ehmm to say that his game looks good is an understatement, it looks foking fantastic :)
1080p never looked better :)

And the sound is very well done, all the music tracks are mixed for 5.1 and aparently with access to the master tapes. You can hear how they bring the Surround channels into the mix.

At this price it´s the best value game i have bought for a long time :)

The more i play this the more insanely incredible it is!!!! Just found out if you hold L1 u get voice chat in online games!!!!! Anyone like to see a Rollcage PSN game using the same engine?

Ah so there is voice chat! Lol. RTFM I guess. ;) Thanks for the tip.

I like it also, though I suck. Also I feel that there may be some balancing issues with the difficulty in some areas. It's not so bad because there are different ways to earn your progression points, but it still feels broken if on novice, on the third grid there's a race I've tried about 10 times and failed to do better than something like sixth.

You just have to keep practicing. The game is tough, and especially some of the later time trial requirements will have you scratching your head. It's all doable, though, and incredibly rewarding when the gold medal finally pops up, after dozens upon dozens of failed attempts. (I'm halfway through the 7th grid and so far I have all gold medals. I did play every Wipeout except for Fusion on the PS2, though)

Now some of the trophies are a different matter entirely. Reach Zone 50 using only airbrakes and sideshift? Beating every campaign race on Elite difficulty? WTF?

God, I love this game

Man I created a track of my own and put it in a playlist so I can play it in Wipeout HD!!

The words that came from my mouth when I played it: Holy fucking shit!!! Its 1996 again!! Brilliant!!!

It fits perfectly with the whole atmosphere!!

And I noticed also that the game adds effects with the tracks! It doesnt just play them. It plays with them! The Zone levels especially do MARVELOUS things with the music.

I didnt like much the current tracks in the game. I liked one or two. They are way too commercial for my tastes. Wipeout XL and WipeOut had the best soundtrack

i purchased the game yesterday and participated in a few races. visuals are clean and the audio was quite nice; my subwoofer had a good time ;)

Back