Windows XP 64

Scott_Arm

Legend
I was just curious if anyone was running XP Pro 64 at home and could give me a rundown on some of the issues with this platform.

It seems that drivers are not as much of a problem now, and I don't have any really obscure hardware. I remember reading about some problems with copy protection on games, and virus scanners. Have these issues been resolved?

I'm thinking of making the switch, but I wasn't sure if I'd be wasting my time or not.

The switch is worth because you'll get to learn more about xp pro 64, which is inevitably the trend.

The sooner the better.

I'm just worried some of the games I own, or may potentially buy, will not work because of copy protection problems etc.

lack of Anti virus and firewall protection in WinXPPro64...
lack of drivers (though that's going to improve)

The first point it my main concern at the moment.

Correction all avast4 version (free...) do support WinXPPro x64. Not sure about firewall yet.

I'm pretty sure all the drivers I need are available and are in good shape. The lack of a good virus scanner doesn't sit wel with me either. I'm a big fan of pc-cillin.

I don't think XP64 will ever be the trend. Vista will probably end up as the dominant 64-bit OS. XP64 will end up in sort of a Linux-like niche while Vista will be on ALL of the consumer systems.

I don't really like XP64. The benefits are few and there are quirks to it. Of course, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. If it's free anyway.

swaaye said:
I don't think XP64 will ever be the trend. Vista will probably end up as the dominant 64-bit browser. XP64 will end up in sort of a Linux-like niche while Vista will be on ALL of the consumer systems.

Isn't Vista 64bit?

mito said:
swaaye said:
I don't think XP64 will ever be the trend. Vista will probably end up as the dominant 64-bit browser. XP64 will end up in sort of a Linux-like niche while Vista will be on ALL of the consumer systems.

Isn't Vista 64bit?

It should be. If not....then wow..just wow. But it seems to be a better idea to release a 32bit and 64bit of Vista...I don't know how Microsoft is going to explain to regular home consumers that they need to upgrade their system to a system with a 64bit CPU.

Once I upgrade my whole setup...i'll be getting my 64bit fix on *nix.

It is an interesting question. They could go full 64-bit, but then most people would not be able to run it.... Imagine how much simpler that would be for MS though! There's always another backwards compatiblity headache.

I don't even have a 64-bit CPU anymore. I sold my A64 notebook to my dad and bought a Dell Inspiron with a Dothan. So obviously I'd like to run Vista :)

I imagine that there will almost certainly be both 64-bit and 32-bit editions of it. But what if you want to switch over? Buy the other edition? I don't think so... And now we have hardware manufacturers who have to support 2 driver lines...YAY!

Still lots of drivers issues.
I've had to try 4 versions of nVidia nForce4 drivers before finding one that works...
Obviously latest don't.

There's no 3COM 3C905C-TX-M drivers either...
Kinda a hell.

I could get all the drivers I needed for my laptop. However the touchpad drivers didn't scroll with Firefox and IE64, which was odd.

And Winrar doesn't integrate into the shell right.

Avast antivirus works with Win x64 but it isn't a 64-bit app.

Don't remember other quirks. I didn't spend a lot of time with x64 though.

mmh Avast AV 'server' which I suppose is the AntiVirus itself is a 64bit app.

About 6.66 nVidia nForce4 drivers, they work now, it seems that I needed to be logged in an Admin account, and that "Execute As..." wasn't enough for them...

All in all it's not too bad, but I still feel there are some performances problems, will need to launch GuildWars to check that out.

Back