Windows 8 Dev build

Windows 8 is a sad joke and they should push their efforts on a brand new version of Windows which has nothing to do with the ideas in 8 and should be more like an improvement on Windows 7 and Windows XP...

Windows 8 contains many great improvements over Windows 7 and Windows XP. The Desktop is still there, and there are lots of cool improvements.

After just one night on my Helix, I've found I can't use anything other than Modern UI IE10 for browsing. It's incredible what a difference it makes using a touchscreen. It's the first time I've become enamored with Win 8.

This list contains some of my favorites. Personally I appreciate the vastly improved multi-screen support, file copying, superb start-up speed, better and more intuititve folder options, file copying and performance monitoring. Having access to Apps is nice too - there are a few Apps that are only avialable as Apps on the various portable devices, and not as Windows software.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012834/windows-7-to-windows-8-the-systems-biggest-improvements.html

Agreed.

For me, Windows 7 was a small downgrade from the functionality in Vista (explorer got worse for example). Windows 8 on the other hand has numerous improvements that make it worlds better than both Win7 and Vista.

Regards,
SB

It's just corporations and administrations getting lazy. Why not switch OS once a decade rather than every three or five years? :)
I wonder if Windows 7's life will even be extended, it's slated to end in 2020 which is an official 11 year life from the start but only 7 years are remaining for those who upgrade now.

Then, I don't know if it's very relevant but Windows 7 runs on hardware that's 10 to 13 years old, Windows 8 is less compatible due to requiring the NX bit.

Lazy?! Obviously, you do not have a damn clue how things work and what is going on there.
Every single update, even the smallest and most negligible passes through a thorough approval process in those corporations and it takes time.
Of course, their decision to choose Windows 7 is because the other option sucks and it sucks big time.

And yeah, they buy new machines with fresh Windows 7 installation

Sure.
Such a big place is likely to roll their own images through the network though and can always use downgrade rights.
Lazy probably is not the greatest term, I'm sure that all IT staffes are overworked and understaffed, no exception. Beware what you wish for, Internet Explorer is probably used in such a setting and not necessarily the latest version :p

It is always good to see there are good people who care to prove you wrong :LOL:

Ready for Windows 8? We're just starting on Win 7, says Dell

Some big Dell customers are just beginning to migrate to Windows 7 -- an operating system that came out in 2009

That would mean a bye-bye to win 8 which would be missed by the majority of people altogether, waiting for something with more improvements :LOL:

Huh? Corporations almost never move to an OS in the first year of release. Your own link just proves the point. They are finally moving in mass to Windows 7 after almost 4 years.

What in the world made you think they would move to Windows 8 in the first year of release? :D Windows XP didn't see much faster adoption either in the corporate sector.

Regards,
SB

If they don't move to the other option now, they will most probably never. Those new machines with Windows 7 will last at least couple of years and by then, there will definitely be a new OS. They can't afford to throw so much money and will look for a lot of savings

If they don't move to the other option now, they will most probably never. Those new machines with Windows 7 will last at least couple of years and by then, there will definitely be a new OS. They can't afford to throw so much money and will look for a lot of savings

Again, huh? Corporations were still buying Windows NT machines when Windows 2000 was out. They were buying Windows 2000 AND Windows NT machines when XP was out.

They continued to buy XP machines when Windows Vista and Windows 7 was out.

Absolutely nothing has changed with the release of Windows 8. The soonest we'd see mass adoption for Windows 8 is likely 3-4 years from now with a few corporations possibly taking a chance 1-2 years from now. Of course, if Windows 8 has a relatively minor makeover with a name change (Vista -> Win7, Win7 is basically Vista) before that time then it may or may not get skipped.

Just like Vista got rebranded into Windows 7, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to Windows 8 due to internet hysteria. Windows 7 was no better than Vista in most ways. Just like whatever follows Win8 will likely be no better than Win8 for the most part. Yet while Win8 gets lambasted due to internet hysteria, the follow up will likely be praised, despite being basically the exact same OS (again, Vista -> Win7).

We have the same situation all over again. Vista was a massive and much needed upgrade over XP. And Win8 is a massive upgrade over Win7. The only difference is that Win8 doesn't increase the system requirements in order to run it.

Regards,
SB

One reason to use Windows 8 in a corporate setting would be to better match up against Windows Server 2012. I once read something about an issue with a advanced remote desktop feature, which allowed to have remote apps running seamlessly on your desk (such as the remote app accessing the local desktop's storage). Works fine with Windows 7 and 2008, with Windows 8 and 2012 but not with Windows 7 and 2012.

In theory, a company that's still on Windows 2003/XP, is not regulated like the fucking DoD and has not built a legacy on IE7/8 to replace one on IE6 could switch from Server 2003 and XP to 2012 and 8 (then 8.1), skipping the whole Vista/7/2008 generation.

That's true, but corporations are generally conservative by nature. Hence, there's a lot of validation going on as well as budgeting and planning. Upgrading infrastructure and more importantly end user workstations is a length multi-year process for many of them.

Regards,
SB

At least it's not a security risk.
Remember Active Desktop? only a few people used it and it was a disaster.
Worst case with Metro, you get peeved because they've made a piece of shit calculator without 1/x and sine, with Active Desktop at worst your life is permanently ruined because identity theft happens to you after a malware infection, all your money and assets are seized and people are knocking on your door to throw you on the streets.

Windows 8 users snub Modern apps:

What was the point of foisting Metro on us again? What was the actual benefit to the customer, especially when the customer doesn't want it?

Touchscreens, it just takes some time to grow but the move has to be made at some point to encourage manufacturers to start throwing out touchscreen models.
10% of all shipped laptops today apparently already have touchscreen.

Touchscreens, it just takes some time to grow but the move has to be made at some point to encourage manufacturers to start throwing out touchscreen models.
10% of all shipped laptops today apparently already have touchscreen.

Last time I checked 90% > 10% ;) And that doesn't even take into account desktops, or the previously installed user base.

Actually, I'd be pretty surprised and dismayed if MS don't fix this nonsense with the 8.1 update. They're getting telemetry from those systems that are sending usage data back, they know shipping units vs installed units. MS know where they've gone wrong, it's just a question of whether they've got the guts to admit it and make some relatively small changes for the good of the customer that will increase their sales.

MS went through this with Vista, they known that if they don't make something they customer wants, they won't make the sales. You can't make people buy a new version of Windows if it's not attractive to them.

Last time I checked 90% > 10% ;) And that doesn't even take into account desktops, or the previously installed user base.

Actually, I'd be pretty surprised and dismayed if MS don't fix this nonsense with the 8.1 update. They're getting telemetry from those systems that are sending usage data back, they know shipping units vs installed units. MS know where they've gone wrong, it's just a question of whether they've got the guts to admit it and make some relatively small changes for the good of the customer that will increase their sales.

MS went through this with Vista, they known that if they don't make something they customer wants, they won't make the sales. You can't make people buy a new version of Windows if it's not attractive to them.

Vista wasn't about "what customers want" but too much bad press and bit too rushed release for OS already late.

90>10, obviously, but without the Modern UI that 10 would probably be 1 or under, and it will grow over time.
You still don't have to use the ModernUI tiles if you don't want to (one click to enter desktop, or with bit tinkering you can start straight to desktop), I find it better than old Start Menu when used as just that - Start Menu.

Back