Windows 7

I'm good to go. I used MSDN to generate my keys today.

Usenet has the RTM images posted. They've been posted for over a week now. The MD5/SHA-1 checksums match exactly. Today I pulled them down at 20-25 mbps. At the same time, MSDN was bouncing between 25 - 60 Kbps.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. There would be people complaining about how it doesn't clearly spell out Situation X. I don't see what was "confusing" or "complicated" over the detailed chart.

The modified chart is tidier.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. There would be people complaining about how it doesn't clearly spell out Situation X.

Now that you mention it, the original chart doesn't explain the upgrade path for the Enterprise versions and what happens when you have an OEM or retail copy of Vista. The thing is, that chart was made for consumers who walk into a store and buy a retail copy of Windows 7. The chart Ed made is much, much better for that target demographics.

They could just dump all of their contrived editions with "specially optimized feature-sets" and just have Windows 7 The One And Only Edition. But obviously that would make it more difficult to have an ultra expensive Extra Value++ edition. ;)

It would be like the DOS days all over again. Or something.

Or just make everything optional purchases/installs. Should be doable in this day and age.

Anyone know if Windows Home Server is compatible with the new Homegroup features?

Anyone know if Windows Home Server is compatible with the new Homegroup features?

I don't think so, the upcoming WHS PP3 that will ship on Oct 22 to improve Win7 compat doesn't seem to have homegroup backported. It does have Library integration though. See this for more info.

I don't think so, the upcoming WHS PP3 that will ship on Oct 22 to improve Win7 compat doesn't seem to have homegroup backported. It does have Library integration though. See this for more info.

Great to know, thankyou. I've been waiting on building a Home Server to see what is happening with W7 support. Good to see libraries, media center and backup systems are being updated to support it.

I am running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 and Windows 7 RTM. Homegroups are definetely not supported. The feeling is that is a future item in either in current WHS or in a future WHS2.

Everything else works fine with Windows 7 and WHS... back-ups work great with both my builds, Vista 64 and Windows 7 RTM (64).

So I installed to RC today in VirtualPC because I was bored and wanted to check things out. But how the hell do you get anything running on win7? I thought Vista drivers are supposed to work with win7 but I cant install a single driver, all of them will give a OS not supported error. What am I doing wrong? Mainboard drivers btw (asus p5w dh deluxe), gpu driver seems fine and I havnt tried the sound drivers yet but I cant install my wireless driver so that is all a bit useless.

Also I dont get the network center. I can ping my server, I can see a shared map from my pc on the win7 pc but from win7 I can't see my server or own pc while I can ping them. Also I want the XP configuration screen back instead of what they did now. Everything is hidden.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I installed to RC today in VirtualPC because I was bored and wanted to check things out. But how the hell do you get anything running on win7? I thought Vista drivers are supposed to work with win7 but I cant install a single driver, all of them will give a OS not supported error. What am I doing wrong? Mainboard drivers btw (asus p5w dh deluxe), gpu driver seems fine and I havnt tried the sound drivers yet but I cant install my wireless driver so that is all a bit useless.

Also I dont get the network center. I can ping my server, I can see a shared map from my pc on the win7 pc but from win7 I can't see my server or own pc while I can ping them. Also I want the XP configuration screen back instead of what they did now. Everything is hidden.

At least some Intel chipset drivers had to be installed in "Vista compatibility mode", but get the latest from Guru3D for example, they install without any compatibility modes.
At least Realtek has unified Win7/Vista sound drivers, and I believe Creative is too, or at least separate downloads for both.
Can't help on network drivers though, mine installed automaticly (and newest from Marvell worked too I think), dunno if the VirtualPC is causing some problems or what.

I just preordered Windows 7 Home Premium (full retail) from amazon.co.uk for around 75 euros. That's quite a bargain I think.

I can't quite remeber exactly about VirtualPC but when running the Virtual XP mode within Windows 7, there were specific instructions to switch the Network drivers for the virtual machine to actual physical network connections before you could see the network and be seen on the network.

Before you start Virtual PC check if there is option to choose the network device for the virtual machine. The default is a virtual network driver which is ok for a lot of non techies but if you want to do stuff on the network you need to select the actual physical netwrok device being used.

Its been a few months since I used VirtualPC so I might be wrong.

At least some Intel chipset drivers had to be installed in "Vista compatibility mode", but get the latest from Guru3D for example, they install without any compatibility modes.
At least Realtek has unified Win7/Vista sound drivers, and I believe Creative is too, or at least separate downloads for both.
Can't help on network drivers though, mine installed automaticly (and newest from Marvell worked too I think), dunno if the VirtualPC is causing some problems or what.

Tried that. Keep getting the same you dont have the minimum requirements for installation blabla.

Sound and gpu driver can install without a problem but the sound driver just doesnt work (7 keeps saying there is no audio device) and after installing CCC, its nowhere to be found.

So I cant say im impressed at all. Actually I dont see any reason why I should even be botherd with windows7 given that it already seems to be a driver hell and I'll be at the mercy of whoever build my hardware to give me a win7 driver. Maybe some problems have to do with me running win7 in virtualpc but I never had any problems getting all my other stuff working perfectly in virtualpc so i dont see why it should be a problem now. Certainly if amd gives me a win7 driver that should work correct even in virtualpc right? Too bad it doesnt....

I can't quite remeber exactly about VirtualPC but when running the Virtual XP mode within Windows 7, there were specific instructions to switch the Network drivers for the virtual machine to actual physical network connections before you could see the network and be seen on the network.

Before you start Virtual PC check if there is option to choose the network device for the virtual machine. The default is a virtual network driver which is ok for a lot of non techies but if you want to do stuff on the network you need to select the actual physical netwrok device being used.

Its been a few months since I used VirtualPC so I might be wrong.

Yes you have to share the networkadapter on your host, but doing that broke the functionality of my second networkcard.

Tried that. Keep getting the same you dont have the minimum requirements for installation blabla

Well there's something definitely wrong on your end as I know both realtek and AMD bundle their Vista/7 drivers in the same package. What driver versions are you using?

Certainly if amd gives me a win7 driver that should work correct even in virtualpc right?

No, there is no 3D acceleration in Virtual PC if that's what you are referring to.

I have tested Windows 7 RC and now am testing Windows 7 RTM.

I never had to download a single driver. I have a SSD which I prepared for Windows 7 testing and so am booting to it directly versus thru a virtual machine. That may be part of the problem. WIndows 7 goes through a lot of work to not have you update drivers and finds them itself.

Conversely - on my production Vista64 system, I spent a bit of time making sure I had the latest drivers downloaded. (not huge amount but some time versus none on Windows 7. Maybe Virtual PC is a limiting factor in the automated setup.

Basically, I could not move my production (also gaming machine at night) to Windows RC as I have an environment that I code in for my clients that needed some compatabilty love. It was a failure for RC.

However, RTM has changed that. I am almost all the way set in creating a useable and better environment in Windows 7 versus my Vista64 build. Have a bit more setup time to spend to get last bunch of applications setup (in off hours when I get bored and have no gaming to do :) )

My gaming is better, Windows 7 seems more snappier and starting to like the new Aero peek etc. I starting to not like having to boot over to Vista64 to do work.

Back