Windows 7

Hibernation is significantly faster for me, especially when you consider the time you save when you have to start programs too.

So I am guessing that you have to go and enable the hibernate in the control panel or something?
Yes, in XP it is in Control Panel - Power Options.

It makes a file called hiberfil.sys on your system partition which is the same size as the amount of RAM Windows detects you have.

I have set it to hibernate when I press my power button once. The shutdown takes a while, but startup is fast once you get past the BIOS. The system can be completely powered off when you hibernate, you can turn of any powerstrips or you can unplug the system. When you start up, the system actually starts like regular, but when Windows starts just loads the hiberfil.sys and you log on and everything is as you left it.

Yes, in XP it is in Control Panel - Power Options.

It makes a file called hiberfil.sys on your system partition which is the same size as the amount of RAM Windows detects you have.

I have set it to hibernate when I press my power button once. The shutdown takes a while, but startup is fast once you get past the BIOS. The system can be completely powered off when you hibernate, you can turn of any powerstrips or you can unplug the system. When you start up, the system actually starts like regular, but when Windows starts just loads the hiberfil.sys and you log on and everything is as you left it.

Nice makes sense. Thanks much for the explanation.

W7 hybrid sleep = hibernate + sleep = best of both worlds. Instant power on and reliability in case of power failure. I see no reason to use anything else. You guys should really ditch that ancient XP.

that ancient XP shutdowns fast, and boots really fast for me (faster than resuming from hibernation, though obviously slower than resuming from sleep). So I'm fine, as the feature is not a deal-breaker for me.
I get an extra 1% of HDD storage from disabling hiberfil.sys :p

W7 hybrid sleep = hibernate + sleep = best of both worlds. Instant power on and reliability in case of power failure. I see no reason to use anything else. You guys should really ditch that ancient XP.
I don't want to use sleep because I want to turn my computer off fully, but it is nice to see Win7 coming with hybrid sleep.

Proves in studio please.
So far I've seen 0 comparisons where objective measurments show significant performance difference

Aye, one site did an informal test of 25 different activities, ranging from program startup, games running, windows startup, etc...

And found that it was pretty evenly split between XP, Vista, and Win7 as to which was the fastest in those 25 scenarios.

Regards,
SB

before MS marketing makes everyone believe that all good comes from Windows 7 (as to counter the irrational hatred of Vista):

hybrid sleep is a windows feature starting from Vista

How does one go and enable hybrid sleep?

Edit: Nvm I figured it out. Looks like it was on by default. It is freaking fast. I thought that was just regular sleep!

What if you're, say, someone who works on photos all day long and is always in thumbnail view? The fact of the matter is this is one thing that Vista did very well.

Has anyone noticed if their graphics WEI scores went up after the release of the new nvidia drivers? I think mine are currently at 7.9!

W7 hybrid sleep = hibernate + sleep = best of both worlds. Instant power on and reliability in case of power failure.
Ooh er, so it keeps the hibernation file updated & loads it if you lose power, otherwise runs like Sleep?
Will try that then :smile:

Ooh er, so it keeps the hibernation file updated & loads it if you lose power, otherwise runs like Sleep?
Will try that then :smile:
Yeah it keeps things in RAM, but also writes them to the disk, just in case. And yes, I too have used this since Vista.

What genius at MS decided to drop Vista's folder sort header row? Now you have to either right click or access the hidden-by-default menu. Why can't I get in on these special anti-intuitive UI meetings with highly paid MS engineers?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...i/thread/eaed7f8b-9011-41ae-97cf-23135a045888

I reported this on connect right after installing the beta and they closed it with "Won't fix". This is one of the few major problems I have with 7 as it represents a serious loss in productivity for me having to constantly change view type or right-click, select > select.

Back