Windows 7

I had Samsung and Hitachi/IBM 1TB drives, a ReadyBoost stick (8GB) was a welcome addition. I've switched to WD and Windows tells me my HD performance is fine and doesn't need a ReadyBoost cache. Also parking/spin-up is terrible on my Samsungs even compared to the DeskStars.

Well the Hitachi is doing fine for gaming which is really all this rig is for, so I'm not worried :)

Considering an upgrade from Vista to this. I really need Media Centre on my 360.

Does anyone know if I can buy a different language Windows for upgrade? (I have non-English Vista now, should I buy Windows 7 English Version?)

Considering an upgrade from Vista to this. I really need Media Centre on my 360.

Does anyone know if I can buy a different language Windows for upgrade? (I have non-English Vista now, should I buy Windows 7 English Version?)

According to this, it should be possible but you'll need to perform a custom installation, not an in-place upgrade.

One thing I have noticed is that if you are in a gaming session in W7 and you are running say Pidgin as your IM client and someone messages you, then the game gets a bit corrupted and it freezes etc etc until you alt tab out and then get back in...very freaking annoying. I dont know why it cant just deal with IM windows!

Well, I do like it, although except for the needed multitasking in I/O, multithreading upgrades and 64-bit, it's mostly eye-candy.

It isn't very stable yet; the certified drivers are buggy, and about twice a week things start crashing because of some ninja-update, while I turned all updates off. But M$ always know better and does as it pleases, of course.

According to this, it should be possible but you'll need to perform a custom installation, not an in-place upgrade.

Thanks, I wouldn't want upgrade anyway as from my experience upgrades often caused hardware problems...

But regarding custom installation, if I have to format and then install, does that mean I need to buy full version and not upgrade edition softwares? The logic behind my reason is that you are putting an OS onto HDD that is empties.

I am student and was looking at this http://www.software4students.co.uk/...fessional_32_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

Otherwise I have no intention of upgrade really...

Rock solid stable for me. Even the beta.
Same.
You can hardly blame MS for bad drivers, although providing certified drivers that are apparently buggy seems odd.
What device do you have that is having the driver issue?

But regarding custom installation, if I have to format and then install, does that mean I need to buy full version and not upgrade edition softwares? The logic behind my reason is that you are putting an OS onto HDD that is empties.

I don't have first-hand knowledge but AFAIK, if you format from inside Win7's install procedure it works. See this article for more details (method #1).

Rock solid stable for me. Even the beta.

Same, only stabiity problems I've had, have been due almost entirely to the BIOS on my motherboard. The situation has been vastly improved since it was launched with many BIOS revisions.

Reminds me of why I usually avoid buying MB's that are released just weeks prior to my buying them. Much better to wait a few months.

Regards,
SB

My suspend mode issues seem to have been resolved in some update or other - my mouse now always seems to work fine after waling up. The only slicht annoyance I have now is that some programs still seem to fail at showing their dialogue in front of all the other windows. It's an issue I have a hard time understanding that it hasnt been fixed yet, as it is definitely an important useability issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer
Did anyone mention the difficulties in getting a Theatre 650 to work in Windows 7 yet? I'm just discovering it...

After the the problems I had with the ATI TV Blunder and then the 9600 AIW back in the day I am not surprised about the 650 having problems with Win 7. I am in the market for a HD card since my old PVR 150 doesn't like Windows 64 bit and 4 gb of ram. I almost pulled the trigger on the ATI 650, but I came to my senses and did some research and was glad I did not buy it. You would think a card that is still being sold would have Win 7 drivers for it.

Well I went to MicroCenter a couple of days ago and bought a ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Dual Tuner card and it works. It is by Diamond and is in a newer box than the other Diamond ATI tv cards there. I bought it because it lists Windows 7 as supported. At $50 it was worth a shot, and if it did not work I could have just taken it back. There is no remote, but that is not really a problem for me.

I use Windows Media Center and it works fine. The first day the local hd channels were really choppy and full of artifacts, but when I tried the next day they were fine. I don't why, but as long as it works I am happy. So it is a keeper for me.

Jim

My suspend mode issues seem to have been resolved in some update or other - my mouse now always seems to work fine after waling up. The only slicht annoyance I have now is that some programs still seem to fail at showing their dialogue in front of all the other windows. It's an issue I have a hard time understanding that it hasnt been fixed yet, as it is definitely an important useability issue.
I have a S939 Asus mobo and I've found going into suspend mode resets my clocks to default, which is a huge bummer since I oc my cpu by 900mhz.

Re: Win7 vs. Theater 650 Pro

I got my MSI card going the other day. I did some vid capture from a Betamax VCR for my sis. :D The drivers from the ATI site worked better than the MS autodownloaded stuff.

I'm annoyed that they still haven't got a proper uninstall system. Uninstall something and there's still crap left in the registry, device drivers left in the OS, etc. Is it really too hard to clean everything that was added to the system? Win 7 still behaves like Win 95 in that respect and I expected better given that there is so much room for improvement in this area.

The App-wrapper method (originally from NeXT then transfered to Apple in OS X) beats all others. It takes more drive space, but a single directory with .app extension holds all the libraries, etc. for each app. Uninstall is simple "rm ./*.app"

Sure wish MS would take this route with windows 8...

Yeah, I keep wishing MS would go back to the DOS ways of program installations, where everything was stored in the directory of the program itself.

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with a system that came into existence due to a desire to conserve (at the time) limited HD space in the face of increasingly large programs. Such that "common" files are stored in one location. Unfortunately, that also makes program uninstallation more complicated as you have to know whether another program requires that file before removing it.

HD's are so large now that I wish they'd go back to the old ways of program installation. But, then MS would probably get blasted by everyone for wasting HD space if they were to do so. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

At least program devs don't rely on storing information in the registry as much as they did with XP, thank god... Although some still use the registry when they don't need to. :devilish:

Speaking of pet peeves, I also wish MS would have implemented a 3rd party Program Files directory that didn't require admin privaleges to modify.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Although some still use the registry when they don't need to. :devilish:
Have you seen the unbelievably massive amount of regkeys created by Norton Antivirus? It must be hundreds, if not thousands of entries.

The registry is a completely useless invention anyway, why would separate programs need to put their own private stuff all in one central repository? I see no genuine advantage anywhere, I'd really like to know how MS was thinking internally at the time...

Back