Windows 7

this means that you no longer have a non-moving, static target for your mouse click, that you may click any number of times without having to look at it and read stuff. now you have to reach for the backspace key for that.

at least, the windows file manager is keyboard-friendly (windows is in general, sometimes more than a linux desktop :)) but mouse is useful for file selections.

I do use copy/paste buttons too. it allows better use of the mouse, spares you going through a menu layer (edit menu or file properties)

mind you I most often use the file manager with keyboard only under XP, but when I'm mousing I don't want to do ctrl-c, ctrl-drag'n'drop etc.; I still have to do ctrl-clicking (even though I've used three-button mice for the past 15 years)

But why would you click multiple times on it when you can just click on the appropriate folder you want to go back to on the address bar? :???:

It's the same location, always. You can click on it in your sleep. The address bar is not always the same due to directory naming, etc. Clicking on the same location multiple times is faster than having to observe the address bar and click.

My feeling with Win 7 is mix bag at the moment. The only plus for me is that it's 64 bit that is better supported. But still legacy hardware there is no driver for it. Aero interface screw up my version of Maya. Actually quite a few softwares that I have seems to mentioned compatibility problem with Win 7. So when I have to switch over it's going to be a little more pricey than just the cost of Win 7 for me. I am going to stick with XP a little while more.

It's the same location, always. You can click on it in your sleep. The address bar is not always the same due to directory naming, etc. Clicking on the same location multiple times is faster than having to observe the address bar and click.

My feeling with Win 7 is mix bag at the moment. The only plus for me is that it's 64 bit that is better supported. But still legacy hardware there is no driver for it. Aero interface screw up my version of Maya. Actually quite a few softwares that I have seems to mentioned compatibility problem with Win 7. So when I have to switch over it's going to be a little more pricey than just the cost of Win 7 for me. I am going to stick with XP a little while more.

I am in agreement with that sentiment. I like Windows 7 but there are still a few rough edges around it. Main thing being performance. Its no XP x64 and I am ok with that because I have conditioned myself to it. Somehow it seems slower than the RC I was running though.

I recently put Win7 on my main rig so I could have a gaming machine again...moved my Linux distro to my old media server for work. Having a gaming rig again is great, but I'm surprised at how slow W7's interface is compared to gnome/beryl/compiz. The old media server (Athlon x2 5050e) with Ubuntu 9.10 is snappier than my main rig (Q9550) which was a real surprise. Not doing much other than gaming, skype and email on it though...

I guess I am lucky then, as I have no complaints whatsoever! :) (ok, well, the taskbar could look a little nicer, but functionally its very sound)

It's only in the same location in case you always use fullscreen windows, and even then I would argue that quick look at the address bar and clicking on the directory you want to once (twice (1st click for the list) if it doesn't fit to address bar) is faster than multiple clicks on 1 button.

I recently put Win7 on my main rig so I could have a gaming machine again...moved my Linux distro to my old media server for work. Having a gaming rig again is great, but I'm surprised at how slow W7's interface is compared to gnome/beryl/compiz. The old media server (Athlon x2 5050e) with Ubuntu 9.10 is snappier than my main rig (Q9550) which was a real surprise. Not doing much other than gaming, skype and email on it though...

The only time I experience and slow downs is maybe the first time I click on the start menu, or if I'm using the HDD the os is installed on.
Btw what did your GUI look like, just for fun?

You have to give the system some time for superfetch, indexing etc to get everything done, and even then you'll see a clear difference between a fast and "average" HDD.

Win7 GUI is definately snappier than Vistas, which was snappier than XP's (assuming it was used on modern hardware)

It's only in the same location in case you always use fullscreen windows, and even then I would argue that quick look at the address bar and clicking on the directory you want to once (twice (1st click for the list) if it doesn't fit to address bar) is faster than multiple clicks on 1 button.

My main explorer windows is always full screen, it's just faster and easier when I remember where everything are. It's not really about which is faster, the difference probably just milliseconds at best, but having not to process the address bar when you have lots of other important things on your mind that you have to keep track of. Beside the folders tree option is far quicker method if you want to navigate with minimal clicks.

I know they try to make the Win 7 experience as similar to web browsing as possible and that's a right idea, but I still want my customisation of the UI at least. I really do hope I find a way to customise Win 7, when I have to move on to it.

It's much slower to take my hands off the mouse and hit the backspace key to do a directory up than it is just to click with the mouse I'm already using.
Indeed.
I almost always use Right click -> Copy/Cut/Paste myself.
Never liked having to move my mouse over to where the buttons are & back to where I want to paste, another waste of time :p

Sometimes that right click goes wrong though & you lose the selection, for those sorts of thing I use keyboard. (which is actually quite a PITA with DVORAK...& I still haven't gotten around to remapping those commands :()
I guess thats where the buttons would come in useful...

Clicking on the same location multiple times is faster than having to observe the address bar and click.
Which is why I hate the grouped/pin to taskbar buttons & do like quicklaunch/pin to start menu :)
Speaking of which: For unknown reasons my work PC recently decided to reset all my customised menus (quicklaunch, links bar & bookmarks) to alphabetical order, AAARGHH!! :mad:

I know they try to make the Win 7 experience as similar to web browsing as possible and that's a right idea, but I still want my customisation of the UI at least. I really do hope I find a way to customise Win 7, when I have to move on to it.

sure, the day I move on I will probably install a 3rd party file manager and be done with it.

the vista/7 file management actually is an improvement otherwise : XP has terrible defaults (no status bar, sucky left pane, yellow dog) and the home folder (your $HOME in linux) isn't meant to be user navigated. Now vista/7 gives you a 1st-class citizen home folder as the root of your user files, which is more useful that "My Documents" or the desktop.

now my pet annoyance is I want a single-pane start menu :), not an oversized keyboard navigation nightmare. vista/7 start menu is only the XP start menu with an added text input area. instead of removing the old start menu in 7, why not make a classic start menu with the text input dammit :). I'm too obtuse to ever accept a dynamic list of applications I probably want to run because your crappy algorithm knows better than me.

the classic start menu is a piece of shit by the way, until you clean it/set it up to be more useful, then it turns in the greatest thing ever. (disabling help, using "favorites" to point to your folders, adding a games folder on top, putting the 50 annoying folders from "programs" under a new sub-folder, then actually using the programs menu to house useful shortcuts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: Do you love me
A: Yes you do

Why?
because I found this:
"Start menu replacement utility Classic Shell adds back some of the missing features in Windows 7 or Vista that used to exist in XP—like the Classic-style Start Menu.

During the installation process, you can choose to install two optional pieces—the first is the Classic Start Menu, which is a full-featured replacement that includes drag and drop, recent documents, and keyboard navigation. The second is Classic Explorer, a plugin for Windows Explorer that adds a toolbar with buttons for Up, Delete, and Copy/Paste, changes the file copying UI to look like XP, and a number of other changes. You can install one or both of these components, so if you want the start menu but don't want the explorer plugin, it won't waste resources on your system."

The second is Classic Explorer, a plugin for Windows Explorer that adds a toolbar with buttons for Up, Delete, and Copy/Paste, changes the file copying UI to look like XP, and a number of other changes.
Why would I want the file copying UI to look like XP? That doesn't even make sense, I'm not using XP anymore on my main rigs and whenever I do it looks like the dated crap it is.

I am wary of programs that roll up all kinds of mods into one, typically I want one or two of those changes but don't care or even dislike all of the others.

Q: Do you love me
A: Yes you do

Why?
because I found this:
"Start menu replacement utility Classic Shell adds back some of the missing features in Windows 7 or Vista that used to exist in XP—like the Classic-style Start Menu.

During the installation process, you can choose to install two optional pieces—the first is the Classic Start Menu, which is a full-featured replacement that includes drag and drop, recent documents, and keyboard navigation. The second is Classic Explorer, a plugin for Windows Explorer that adds a toolbar with buttons for Up, Delete, and Copy/Paste, changes the file copying UI to look like XP, and a number of other changes. You can install one or both of these components, so if you want the start menu but don't want the explorer plugin, it won't waste resources on your system."

Does the Classic Explorer plug-in add back in the column headers in views other than "Details" for easy sorting? That's my biggest gripe and the thing I absolutely HATE the most about Win7. I get so damn aggravated everytime I want to switch between sorting by name, date created, date modified, and type.

I'd REALLY like to shoot the bonehead in the nads for removing that vital function.

Regards,
SB

no idea, i havnt got windows 7, i just know that when i do get it not having an up button would really annoy me looks like problem solved, I wonder if they can only be selected during the o/s install or can you install them afterwards

You have to give the system some time for superfetch, indexing etc to get everything done, and even then you'll see a clear difference between a fast and "average" HDD.

Win7 GUI is definately snappier than Vistas, which was snappier than XP's (assuming it was used on modern hardware)

I suppose I can blame the average 1 TB Hitachi deskstar then. The Q9550 & 5870 certainly aren't slowing things down. 640k should be enough RAM, right? (j/k)

I'm too obtuse to ever accept a dynamic list of applications I probably want to run because your crappy algorithm knows better than me.
You can actually turn that off.
Its among several things that I do first thing whenever I do a Windows install.

I suppose I can blame the average 1 TB Hitachi deskstar then. The Q9550 & 5870 certainly aren't slowing things down. 640k should be enough RAM, right? (j/k)

I had Samsung and Hitachi/IBM 1TB drives, a ReadyBoost stick (8GB) was a welcome addition. I've switched to WD and Windows tells me my HD performance is fine and doesn't need a ReadyBoost cache. Also parking/spin-up is terrible on my Samsungs even compared to the DeskStars.

Back