Windows 7

I ran the performance tester thingy and the gfx driver went bananas. The screen started flashing and the test took a pretty damn long time. I got a message that the driver had stopped responding and the message came, disappeared, came back et nauseam.

After the test, I started IE8 and browsed some and the driver started dying again. Rebooted, chose XP and I already feel better.

I don't like the Vista-like "usability". :(

It is a beta though, thats the whole purpose of the beta, to find issues like that and let MS know about them.

I wouldn't call that Vista-like usability though. Nothing like that happens for me under Vista.

No, the usability comment was a general comment. I am pretty sure the issues I talked about are driver related.

The beta is not quite stable when under load

So far I had several Opera crashes (which never happened udner Vista last few months), Firefox crashes, Photoshop crashes, twice explorer.exe got stuck doing smth (50% load ie 100 on 1 of cores), 1 Outlook 2007 carsh.
Are you aware that with the exception of explorer issue, these are application problems? Opera is crashing for me on any OS. On Win7 it is no different than on XP. But surprisingly (or not) Opera 10 beta works fine on Win7. No issues with Photoshop so far, no issues with Outlook (and I use it all the time).

I can't see an option for "Invert Selection" under "Edit" in the Menu Bar. It's useful for when you want to just select one, or a few, item(s) in a folder.

Am I alone in this?

I had to go look in my Vista's explorer to even notice that there is an Invert Selection option... Ha!

Just an FYI, a new version of Virtualbox is out and it comes with Windows 7 support and also Gust Additions that work on it. Pretty cool.

Are you aware that with the exception of explorer issue, these are application problems? Opera is crashing for me on any OS. On Win7 it is no different than on XP. But surprisingly (or not) Opera 10 beta works fine on Win7. No issues with Photoshop so far, no issues with Outlook (and I use it all the time).
:rolleyes:

Anyone else running the Norton 360 beta for Win7?

I installed Firefox 3.0.0.5 and went to getpaint.net to download Paint.net. When the virus scan of the download started, Firefox totally locked up. I couldn't kill the process, I couldn't restart, I couldn't log out. It was strange.

Had mine bluescreen just a few days ago on a restart.
After the auto-re-restart, it did a file check, reported corruption of system files and then it did a roll back to about a week previous which only took out a game install.

After re-installing the game to see if that was what caused the issue, I didn't get a re-occurrence. Strange.

When the virus scan of the download started, Firefox totally locked up. I couldn't kill the process, I couldn't restart, I couldn't log out.

Few weeks back had ESET Security Suite go into a crash loop which was locking everything up and opening up about a bajillion error report screens. Seems changing a security setting in Win7 caused soemthing ESET wasn't too thrilled about. Had to safe mode it and change it back.

In my case I was messing with the Data Execution Prevention settings via command prompt, setting it to always on was a big no no.

I have DEP set for essential services etc.

One thing regarding the UI: I hate the transparency. I detest it. I turn it off because I don't understand why it exists. It doesn't help with usability and it doesn't look good.

One thing regarding the Win+e key shortcut, any way to change where it goes? I want it to go to where the command explorer /e, goes, that is to My Computer, instead of that library favourites place which I don't like. I want to be able to have files where I want, I want to use all my different hdds.

One thing regarding the Win+e key shortcut, any way to change where it goes? I want it to go to where the command explorer /e, goes, that is to My Computer, instead of that library favourites place which I don't like. I want to be able to have files where I want, I want to use all my different hdds.
Yes there is, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and open Windows Eplorer properties, change the target to %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Too lazy to reboot to Win7 now.

Is anyone having issues using Windows 7 as a windows Media center for the 360?
It always freezes as it scans my library. I have about 27k songs I would like on my 360 but It cant scan past 13k...
7 is flawless so far except this...

Is anyone having issues using Windows 7 as a windows Media center for the 360?
It always freezes as it scans my library. I have about 27k songs I would like on my 360 but It cant scan past 13k...
7 is flawless so far except this...

I guess you should let MS know :) so they can patch it.

I wonder if a single guys feedback could really make a difference :p
I sent them feedback on the taskbar, I really love having it on the left side of the screen as suggested for widescreen monitors on the "windows 7 secrets" blog-thingy, BUT I really, really would want the start-orb to be at the bottom instead of top like it's now.
So if I had it my way, from top down it would be date, clock, programs, and at the bottom first the systray/notification area and then start orb

So I've been using W7 x64 & there are some nice touches but some things that bother me.
(I've not used Vista except incidentally so some of this may be things that were part of Vista)

For CoD WaW I have to open the Games folder, right click on the icon & then click Play Multiplayer to play online...
In XP the installer makes 2 links one for SP & one for MP.
Then it always plays for a few seconds then the screen goes blank for about 30secs before coming back & playing.
There is a 'check for updates' option on the shortcut but it failed to find the release day patch...

Some strange pauses when moving between folders, seems related to some sort of scanning of folders eg you move into a folder, it scans, then you move back a folder & then forward again, it will sit thinking about that last move for a long time (feels like 5mins or so).

Moving files between folders the dialogue has a nice More Details option that shows the speed that data is being transferred.
When it runs into a file name conflict it asks if you want to skip or rename eg filename.txt -> filename1.txt, & you can choose the same thing for the next however many it can see coming.
Sometimes it seems to pause on the skip bit though.

I'm not convinced about the whole grouped/pinned icon taskbar thing.
I normally keep my start bar well sorted & have most frequently used apps in the quicklaunch.
This lets me get to stuff quickly while keeping both the desktop & taskbar fairly clean.
With the new taskbar I have to have big Calc & Notepad icons etc which is not so clean.

I agree with people who miss the Up button for navigating folders.

Had only one real problem with drivers & that was my Netgear 802.11G wifi card, Netgear officially refuses to make 64bit drivers so I had to hunt down some Vista friendly generic Atheros drivers.
Doesn't seem to be a 'scan for networks' button in the Network & Sharing Centre?!
Wound up rebooting & only then I could right click on the taskbar icon & scan.

Windows7 has taken over the control of multiple displays which were previously part of the GPU drivers.
This seems to be somewhat in conflict with the ATI CCC or something because initially it was there in CCC but now its not & I'm sometimes having issues convincing my PC to detect my 42" LCD TV on HDMI which never happened on XP.

Somehow seems to stress my HDD more than XP? I've got it installed on an old HDD which happened to have a blank 50GB partition.
Might try on one of my newer ones later.

Back