Windows 11 [2021]

I don't really care what third parties use for cross platform.

But a platform owner owes it to itself to have a native UI used by their own applications written in a proper non GC programming language.

Their applications should also use their own renderer on other platforms, why try to look native? SwiftUI doesn't even do cross platform, but Microsoft grovels to use native controls for Apple.

I don't really care what third parties use for cross platform.

But a platform owner owes it to itself to have a native UI used by their own applications written in a proper non GC programming language.

Their applications should also use their own renderer on other platforms, why try to look native? SwiftUI doesn't even do cross platform, but Microsoft grovels to use native controls for Apple.

I can understand trying to use web ui garbage to make cross-platform apps, even though I think it's a bad solution. I cannot understand using react native to build an operating system menu. I want my operating system to feel instant.

Technically they can be made quite fast. There are many techniques they can use to make it as fast as something native. Even native UI frameworks needs a design language and they are not necessarily faster than a HTML renderer.
Apple already has a good design language so they keep using it (although a few years ago they did some significant updates to it). Microsoft, on the other hand, experiments with a lot and none seems to stick, unfortunately.

With 100's of extra MB of memory resident bloat per application. It's fast until GC or swap kicks in.

Startup time is poor too, even with the browser engine preloaded and really poor apps have that ugly hydration effect.

PS. as a design language FluentUI is fine. It's the implementation and what they choose to do with it that's the problem (widgets, god damn widgets).

Last edited:
Windows question. I need to upgrade a Windows Server 2019 Essentials install to Standard. I know I could just change the product key to a 2019 Standard one, but I can't get 2019 keys anymore. I can get an OEM copy of Server 2022. Will the Server 2022 key activate on Server 2019? Best I can tell the answer is yes but I've never tried to exercise downgrade rights on Windows Server.

With the recent patch which seems to give AMD cpus (zen 3 and newer) a significant performance boost in Windows 11, and stories like this: (https://www.tomsguide.com/gaming/ha...roves-windows-11-kills-power-and-battery-life), I'm really solidifying my belief that Windows is not the best gaming environment. I really want an alternative. I don't actually mind using Windows day to day, and killing of Control Panel in favour of a single unified Settings app is an improvement, but I really want my OS to just be minimal and streamlined, and Windows is not.

I just wish Microsoft focused more on responsiveness, efficiency. I think having a single settings app is an improvement because you don’t need to check for configuration in two places. Long overdue. But it seems like responsiveness and optimization are secondary to features.

shouldn't settings apps link to the same thing so if you change it in one then you shouldn't need to change it in another
eg: if I right click on the desktop -- display settings -- display resolution and change it I don't also have to go into the nvidia control panel and change it there as well

shouldn't settings apps link to the same thing so if you change it in one then you shouldn't need to change it in another
eg: if I right click on the desktop -- display settings -- display resolution and change it I don't also have to go into the nvidia control panel and change it there as well
Yes, you only need to do it one or the other, but some settings are available only in one of them

Yes, you only need to do it one or the other, but some settings are available only in one of them
Trying to do things like managing network adapters is PITA if you don't go through the control panel. And I do that a lot so I'm pretty bummed they're getting rid of it.

Actually I just checked and if you click "Change adapter options" in the Network Status page of the settings app it takes you to "Network Connections" in the control panel. I don't know any other way to manage network adapters.

Trying to do things like managing network adapters is PITA if you don't go through the control panel. And I do that a lot so I'm pretty bummed they're getting rid of it.

Actually I just checked and if you click "Change adapter options" in the Network Status page of the settings app it takes you to "Network Connections" in the control panel. I don't know any other way to manage network adapters.

They're supposed to be porting all of the settings from the control panel into the new Settings panel, so everything is in one place. Assuming they do that correctly, it's a good choice. Right now there are a lot of weird things, like it's easier to config some audio settings in the Settings panel, but other settings need to be set in the Control panel.

They're supposed to be porting all of the settings from the control panel into the new Settings panel, so everything is in one place. Assuming they do that correctly, it's a good choice. Right now there are a lot of weird things, like it's easier to config some audio settings in the Settings panel, but other settings need to be set in the Control panel.
As long as they don't make it worse I guess that's fine. I saw a video on Linus Tech Tips showing Windows 98 and I noticed the buttons to release/renew DHCP leases from the interface options. I hope they don't remove more basic features like that.

As long as they don't make it worse I guess that's fine. I saw a video on Linus Tech Tips showing Windows 98 and I noticed the buttons to release/renew DHCP leases from the interface options. I hope they don't remove more basic features like that.

I'm with you there. If combining means losing options I'm not going to be too happy with it.

Back