Windows 11 [2021]

Yeah, I'm sure there's something out there which gets benefit from tallying up all the 1-bits spread across eight bytes of data. Still seems a somewhat arbitrary line to draw in the sand...

I wonder if this instruction can function as some sort of proxy indicator of a slew of other instructions which Microsoft wants to see. As in, the POPCNT instruction itself is perhaps meaningless, but processors which do NOT have the instruction also end up missing some other more pertinent instructions. Rather than doing checks for each unique instruction, a single lookup for POPCNT can confirm the rest.

Yeah, I've tried to view the whole issue more pragmatically and use my experience as a developer; I can easily imagine a developer team at Microsoft upgrading their tools or settings and one year later, realising that this upgrade somehow needs support for this instruction. So instead of reverting, they choose to mandate the instruction support

For the last few years, we have published a series of “Hardware Trend” articles looking at our overall sales trends for various categories. The exact way we have compiled and compared the data has shifted a bit over the years, but today we want to continue this series and look at how our CPU, GPU, OS, and Storage sales have changed between 2021 and the end of 2023.

Slow adoption of Windows 11 at first, with a sharp increase around July 2022 as we became confident in the OS for the workflows we target. Even then, however, it wasn’t until October 2022 that Windows 11 passed Windows 10 as the most common OS used on our systems.
Since then, Windows 11 use has grown and currently is used on about 80% of the systems we ship. Still, about 10% of our systems opt to downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 (since you can no longer buy a Windows 10 license directly), which shows that there are plenty of people out there who prefer Windows 10 over Windows 11 for whatever reason. To put that into perspective, we sell about as many Windows 10 systems as Linux – although the use cases for those systems tend to be drastically different.

2021-2023-Hardware-Trends-for-OS.png

April 1, 2024
According to Statcounter, February 2024 was not the best month for Windows 11. After reaching its highest point in January, Microsoft's latest operating system dipped quite significantly, going from 28.18% to 26.72% (-1.46 points). Interestingly, the company recently started sending out "invitations to upgrade" to more non-managed devices with Windows 10. So far, those invitations have not helped Windows 11 increase its market share.

Here is the breakdown of the Windows market as of March 2024 by Statcounter:

Windows 10: 69.04% (+1.81 points)
Windows 11: 26.72% (-1.46 points)
Windows 7: 3.04% (-0.06 points)
Windows 8.1: 0.44% (-0.22 points)
Windows XP: 0.39% (-0.13 points)

Despite their "no support" status, Windows 7, 8.1, and 8 still have relatively big market shares. Windows 7 is at 3.04%, Windows 8.1 is at 0.44%, and Windows 8 is at 0.29%. Even Windows XP has a large enough audience with access to the internet (even though mainstream browsers dropped Windows XP years ago) to register on Statcounter's gauges—0.39%.

Sorry anyone who thought I meant that seriously, I had intended to put in a sarcastic 'Finally MS has implemented...' or similar :LOL:

To be fair though, depending on what it actually does when it hits the limit it could be a good thing.
Unloading inactive tabs oldest first would be good, some kind of error popup or closing tabs would be bad.
But then, Chrome seems to just do unloading inactive tabs well enough for a pretty long time already.

Yeah man, what the hell? I'd love to know why they thought this was a good idea.

I mean, I could understand if it was a list of known malware, however that wouldn't be blocked by name -- it would be blocked by some sort of hash signature. The dumbest thing possbiile is to block an unwanted app purely by name...

My understanding is it's simply because they could interfere with the updated state. For example, an application could, after update, cause the system unable to boot, or some important component not working. It's much easier for Microsoft to not installing Windows Update on machines with these applications than facing angry customers about "my system stopped working after Windows Update! Microsoft bad!" So it's not something that they worry about some kind of camoflage.

I think people need to understand that this is the price you pay for a relatively "open" system (by "open" I mean it allows you to do practically everything). You don't need to worry about this on iOS or most Android system because they don't allow apps to mess with the system too much, but on Windows it's the "feature." People will be up in arms if Microsoft somehow disallow this completely.

My understanding is it's simply because they could interfere with the updated state. For example, an application could, after update, cause the system unable to boot, or some important component not working. It's much easier for Microsoft to not installing Windows Update on machines with these applications than facing angry customers about "my system stopped working after Windows Update! Microsoft bad!" So it's not something that they worry about some kind of camoflage.

I think people need to understand that this is the price you pay for a relatively "open" system (by "open" I mean it allows you to do practically everything). You don't need to worry about this on iOS or most Android system because they don't allow apps to mess with the system too much, but on Windows it's the "feature." People will be up in arms if Microsoft somehow disallow this completely.

Lots of people have failed updates because of software they have installed. More so when the software removes or changes functionality. Since this costs money for MS (tech support and the like) they have just disabled the functionality of apps that cause problems.

People should realize if you want to mod the software you are free to do so but MS doesn't have to support that modification. You can always revert back to original state and update and then reinstall the mods.

They flagged RadeonSoftware.exe what gives? Its not as if its some piece of software almost no one has installed...
  • RadeonSoftware.exe (AMD GPU perf settings)

I'm pretty sure if Microsoft bothered to put something in the blacklist they likely already notified the software vendor about this, and it's up to the software vendor to sort this out. But sometimes it's understandable a software vendor might not be able to fix the problem quickly (the software could be out of date, or the problem is really difficult to navigate, etc.) Heck, there are even Microsoft's own software in the blacklist.

I agree that it'd be better if Microsoft is more transparent on this issue, but sometimes it does not really make things better, as sometimes netizens blow things up out of proportion and caused even more problem than being transparent. Too many companies had been burned and I understand why things are the way they are now.

Back