Will there be a corporate version of Vista?

I am here to defend my good friend Digitalwanderer against the charge of insinuation. Digi does not insinuate. Digi calls you a horse's ass when the spirit is upon him. :yep2:

Yes, VLK is just a licensing model. In Vista, the "Volume Licensing 2.0" requires activation too. That would be very inconvenient for large corporations without some sort of automation.

so presumably you'll make act windows server 2003 (or 2007) as a licensing server (which they already do for "client access licenses" needed to use Terminal Server)

so presumably you'll make act windows server 2003 (or 2007) as a licensing server (which they already do for "client access licenses" needed to use Terminal Server)

Precisely. It likely also has some sort of caching model so you don't have to be "online" all the time in order to make sure your OS is licensed. Although now I'm curious how long you can be offline before the license on your local workstation starts to complain...

Precisely. It likely also has some sort of caching model so you don't have to be "online" all the time in order to make sure your OS is licensed. Although now I'm curious how long you can be offline before the license on your local workstation starts to complain...

What I remember reading was you had two options. Tie it to a specific subnet and not worry about it. Or put into roaming mode and it checks for authentication I believe every 4-8 weeks.

Back