Will psp ever get the praise it deserves?

The Japanese market is reportedly shrinking. Nintendo is there to capitalize on the bored Japanese. I think PS3 will do well as an A/V device, more so than a game console. Which may save Sony's butt. This is still Japan we're talking about. I think Sony is more concerned with the USA, they don't want to be dethroned there by MS. Their handheld is enjoying a alright reception, equivalant to DS, in the US. I'd imagine they'll suck onto the American public like a leech and sell that cool factor attitude. Japanese are waking up though.

More so on topic. There is nothing Sony can do but ensure an iron grip in America. Japan is lost. Only Americans are falling for that cool device image, which is something Sony is capable of selling.

Rur0ni said:
The Japanese market is reportedly shrinking. Nintendo is there to capitalize on the bored Japanese. I think PS3 will do well as an A/V device, more so than a game console. Which may save Sony's butt. This is still Japan we're talking about. I think Sony is more concerned with the USA, they don't want to be dethroned there by MS. Their handheld is enjoying a alright reception, equivalant to DS, in the US. I'd imagine they'll suck onto the American public like a leech and sell that cool factor attitude. Japanese are waking up though.

More so on topic. There is nothing Sony can do but ensure an iron grip in America. Japan is lost. Only Americans are falling for that cool device image, which is something Sony is capable of selling.
Well PSP still sells well in Japan based off it's own merits, which is amazing considering software does not. Maybe a ,and i know this is old but...kill-app? PSP in Japan has yet to have one while DS enjoy quite a few. PSP is an attractive system with attractive set of features that are not being used by Japanese devs. I'm not saying that a couple of killer-apps will magically see PSP's flying of the shelves, it will take some time, but if it's good people will buy it. I still say time will be on PSP's side.

Don't forget that when we are talking about European figures, the PSP was only released in September last year ... ! People do tend to forget this.

Also, DS games have been cheaper mostly, so that helps the software sales. What doesn't help software sales is that the PSP demographic is much better at getting illegal copies going, and that the PSP can be enjoyed a lot without software, unlike the DS. ;)

I'm starting to see groups of kids playing Burnout Legends against each other now though (a very popular Budget title), so that should help sales. I also noticed that on Play.com, the three best selling PSP titles are all Budget.

Eh, except now, it is Pirates of the Caribbean. Jeez. And people wonder why publishers are suckers for licenced games - regular john is too, apparently. Anyway, the NEXT three games are, in fact, no ... wait ... the next TEN games are budget titles! Then, and only then, Loco Roco (best I've seen is 4th).

I think the arrival of budget titles will help the PSP as a games platform - it definitely helps with the multiplayer fun. :) I've been playing Burnout Legends myself for a bit and must say it's very good.

In my opinion, Japan is showing the PSP development as you'd have expected it initially. Just look at the prevalence of the GBA - 32 million in the US, 16 million in Japan ... Normally, everything else being equal, these figures will influence the uptake of the DS and PSP. In Japan, the DS is a runaway hit and a logical choice for GBA owners, and has been significantly cheaper to boot. The fact that people still buy the PSP in significant quantities means that it offers something new (rich media features), and probably also appeals to a more adult / Western audience (GTA and similar games) and PS2 owners.

Normally I'd have expected the DS to win, but the PSP is doing remarkably well. That people think it is otherwise is because a lot of people expected the PSP to wipe out the DS, because Playstation eventually beat Nintendo in the home. It took some time however, and the DS is a stronger device too. And there are some great innovative titles for the DS, which, yes, the PSP hasn't been able to match.

We'll see. I personally think the PSP has far more potential, but people were happy with the GBA for far, far longer than I could possibly imagine also, so I'm not going to make predictions based on that. ;)

dual, i read whole two pages of that "article" before i gave up. please, put a bigger disclaimer so it'd be clear it's a joke and people would not get mislead. something like:

'THE ABOVE ARTICLE IS A TOTAL JOKE, IT'S IN LINE WITH THE WORST 'DOOM&GLOOM' POSTINGS ON THESE BOARDS (AKA FUD), AND IF YOU'VE ALREADY HAD ENOUGH OF THAT SPARE YOURSELF THE TIME TO READ IT. GO WATCH DAYTIME TV INSTAED - IT'D BE BETTER'

or something of the sorts.

ps: just to give you a taste of it - there's an 'ipod killer coming soon from microsoft'.
mu-a. ha-ha. ha-ha.

darkblu, you're joking........ right?

The article, though coming across as having a biased view, was actually fairly well researched it seemed. They did point out lots of reasons why the PSP wont do so well anymore. UMD discs losing any hope, price, lackluster software, etc.

What I found funny was the second to last page seemed to paint the future for the PSP as good.

BTW, the MS portable is called Zune.

Skrying said:
What I found funny was the second to last page seemed to paint the future for the PSP as good.
It wasn't well structured. It also started absurdly

The PSP was doomed to fail from the very beginning. With high development costs, a lack of hit games, the UMD movie format, its poor E3 performances, and the competition it faces from the formidable DS Lite, the PSP is now on its last leg
So 15+ million units later and sales that aren't dropping is indicative it was doomed to fail from the very beginning? Or a platform on it's last legs?I guess he didn't give a time frame. Maybe he meant doomed to fail after 5 years?
This place http://www.videogamecharts.com/page2.html even points to PSP being ahead of DS worldwide for a spell! Obviously DS Lite has done wonders, but I'd like to know the rationale to pretty much matching your rival competition in sales after two years and being doomed to fail.

The problem PSPcurrently faces is lack of support from on high. A lot of anticipated services still aren't here (There's a poll on PlayStation.com for if you'd use your PSP for an interactive travel guide - the sort of features that'd be great but aren't here). This is probably due to a focus on PS3 and delivering an integrated platform, so the improved content portal won't appear until PS3 does. At the moment, visit yourpsp.com and it's pretty barren and uninteresting. Without anyone really pushing the system, it's surprising it's doing as well as it is IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
if the psp is a failure, i dont know what to call the XBOX1 life cycle then.... :LOL: does a word for that exist? :devilish:

Well, I just got Tekken on my PSP, and it's just awesome! :cool:

Finally I can explore the depth of this game - I have more time to play on the move than at home, and Tekken is one of my favorite games ever. These characters have so many moves to master each, and there are 36 of them, right at the start of this game. Awesome! And then it has more fun featues than any console version ever had before, plus game-sharing, avatars you can share online, etc.

Just ... really ... awesome. :cool: If this is the direction that PSP games are going, there's a bright future ahead of the PSP (MGS, Final Fantasy VII-2, Killzone etc. will undoubtedly help). My last four games have really been awesome (Daxter, Burnout Legens, Loco Roco) all with minimal loading times.

Tekken actually barely has loading times - they did a great job there too.

Back