Will games start working with my AMD dual core?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by sphanlon, Sep 29, 2006.

1. sphanlon

Newcomer

I've done all the fixes and everything, but the only foolproof answer is to set the affinity for a single CPU. I have to do this for number of games to make sure they work right. Will ones start coming out that work right with my DC?

2. Monty

Regular

3. sphanlon

Newcomer

Yup, all the fixes includes the patch, the optimizer, and the hotfix. Still have to set the affinity so it runs on only 1 CPU for some games.

4. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Which games exactly?

5. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

yeah i never do anything with that, and i have no problems. you getting stuttering or something?

6. sphanlon

Newcomer

Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it stutters and skips. It's always fixed by setting it to a single CPU. Actually, they're all EA Sports games.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

You got the wrong question.

Yes, hell yes! I think DC is going to be the next big thing in gaming, before PPU for sure.

The question isn't whether or not it will be supported/utilized/perfected, but rather when. ;)

As to when, that's anyone's guess at this point. Not yet, but not far off either.

I haven't went dual core yet, so it's OBVIOUSLY not needed/helpful yet....

8. sphanlon

Newcomer

So everything will be fine? Eventually, everything will be designed with the multi-core in mind and I won't have to try to trick it into getting the power state management right?

#8 sphanlon, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  9. digitalwanderer

Legend

I'd say right, but I'm not sure what you mean by "power state management". :???:

10. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

Both AMD and Microsoft have a hotfix but having both installed will cause problems. As far as I know the microsoft hotfix works the best. Before installing the microsoft hotfix, uninstall all the other fixes first.

11. sphanlon

Newcomer

Power state management is apparently the area where it all gets wonky running a game designed for a single thread on a dual core.

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

Ah, thanks. As I mentioned, I haven't went dual core yet so I don't really know much about it yet. :oops:

I'd listen to what Snipe said then and do that. He has this annoying habit of knowing everything about PCs and if he answers a question it's inevitably right. :)

(BTW- Snipe - Sending it out this afternoon when we go to pick up some gerbils, if'n that's alright. )

13. sphanlon

Newcomer

Ok, well I have all 3 now. Should I uninstall the others? Or all of them and then reinstall the MS hotfix? I can see uninstalling the AMD DC Optimizer since it tackles the same thing. Should I definitely remove "/usepmtimer" from my boot.ini(that's all the patch does) also? I read that the different fixes work for different games. Should I just have one enabled at a time or do you strongly suggest going just with the hotfix and scrapping the others? Thanks.

14. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

I would remove all and reinstall the microsoft hotfix.