Will games start working with my AMD dual core?

sphanlon

Newcomer
I've done all the fixes and everything, but the only foolproof answer is to set the affinity for a single CPU. I have to do this for number of games to make sure they work right. Will ones start coming out that work right with my DC?

Yup, all the fixes includes the patch, the optimizer, and the hotfix. Still have to set the affinity so it runs on only 1 CPU for some games.

Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it stutters and skips. It's always fixed by setting it to a single CPU. Actually, they're all EA Sports games.

You got the wrong question.

Will ones start coming out that work right with my DC?
Yes, hell yes! I think DC is going to be the next big thing in gaming, before PPU for sure.

The question isn't whether or not it will be supported/utilized/perfected, but rather when. ;)

As to when, that's anyone's guess at this point. Not yet, but not far off either.

I haven't went dual core yet, so it's OBVIOUSLY not needed/helpful yet....

So everything will be fine? Eventually, everything will be designed with the multi-core in mind and I won't have to try to trick it into getting the power state management right?

Last edited by a moderator:
So everything will be fine? Eventually, everything will be designed with the multi-core in mind and I won't have to try to trick it into getting the power state management right?
I'd say right, but I'm not sure what you mean by "power state management". :???:

Yup, all the fixes includes the patch, the optimizer, and the hotfix. Still have to set the affinity so it runs on only 1 CPU for some games.
Both AMD and Microsoft have a hotfix but having both installed will cause problems. As far as I know the microsoft hotfix works the best. Before installing the microsoft hotfix, uninstall all the other fixes first.

Power state management is apparently the area where it all gets wonky running a game designed for a single thread on a dual core.
Ah, thanks. As I mentioned, I haven't went dual core yet so I don't really know much about it yet. :oops:

I'd listen to what Snipe said then and do that. He has this annoying habit of knowing everything about PCs and if he answers a question it's inevitably right. :)

(BTW- Snipe - Sending it out this afternoon when we go to pick up some gerbils, if'n that's alright. )

Both AMD and Microsoft have a hotfix but having both installed will cause problems. As far as I know the microsoft hotfix works the best. Before installing the microsoft hotfix, uninstall all the other fixes first.

Ok, well I have all 3 now. Should I uninstall the others? Or all of them and then reinstall the MS hotfix? I can see uninstalling the AMD DC Optimizer since it tackles the same thing. Should I definitely remove "/usepmtimer" from my boot.ini(that's all the patch does) also? I read that the different fixes work for different games. Should I just have one enabled at a time or do you strongly suggest going just with the hotfix and scrapping the others? Thanks.

Ok, well I have all 3 now. Should I uninstall the others? Or all of them and then reinstall the MS hotfix? I can see uninstalling the AMD DC Optimizer since it tackles the same thing. Should I definitely remove "/usepmtimer" from my boot.ini(that's all the patch does) also? I read that the different fixes work for different games. Should I just have one enabled at a time or do you strongly suggest going just with the hotfix and scrapping the others? Thanks.
I would remove all and reinstall the microsoft hotfix.

Back