WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course stippled alpha and dithering are both icky in late 2006! (Though, in fairness, there's a pronounced difference between single-pixel sized artifacts in 1080p vs 480p)

yep, that difference foremost being in the size of the physical pixel and the distance you observa that from.

And while you're right that it could be a software decision, releasing hardware that forces such a decision at 480p is very icky indeed.

sorry, 'forces' you? - how so? apparently the hw supports it, and apparently since there are saves to be made from using it there will be cases when using it can be worthwhile, but how is that 'forcing' anybody into anything? it's like saying 'since the market price of second-quality tomatoes is half that of the higher quality, i'm forced to never taste first-quality tomatoes' without caring whether you can afford the top-quality sort in the first place.

60+ pages of speculation, mind you.

Not if you change the default amount of posts per page, which I did. Sorry for the confusion if it really matters that much to you.

huh? that's a totally new twist - where did you read that?

New twist? Wasn't that the whole point of this thread?

i think we sort dealt with that a couple of pages ago. probably around p. 55-60 or so.

You even remember the page. I am amazed. However it has not been sorted out IMO. We can't even agree on what has been said here.

a measly overclocked flipper? i think you missed about 20 pages of this discussion.

I have missed nothing.

Edit: quotes

Good, this thread is sooo bizare, do we have "official numbers or not" of the specs!? :)

Well, we know the process of both chips (those are official numbers released by Nintendo and the die size of Broadway released by IBM). We know the clock numbers, the memory configuration (64 MB GDDR, 24 1T-SRAM+ 3 MB embedded). Plus OtakingGX guess about Broadway seems to be very well-thought-out.

The Red Steel screenshots are touched up (higher res, AA), but look spectacular nonetheless. If devs can really reach that level for a launch game (although a big profile one), then a) I'm an happy camper and b) developers releasing PS2-level crap (actually, some of the stuff shown would have made me laugh if released on DC, nevermind PS2) on Wii should really be ashamed.

There's also a Madden preview on IGN, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Well, we know the process of both chips (those are official numbers released by Nintendo and the die size of Broadway released by IBM). We know the clock numbers, the memory configuration (64 MB GDDR, 24 1T-SRAM+ 3 MB embedded). Plus OtakingGX guess about Broadway seems to be very well-thought-out.

I don't think there is any agreement that we know the clocks or the memory configuration - we have a single unverified source for that information only AFAIK.

(actually, some of the stuff shown would have made me laugh if released on DC, nevermind PS2)

The Dreamcast own the PS2 big time :p
(At least in the Texture department, the PS2 is horrible, lame, shitty... :p)
[Of course if you're not a PC gamer you can't realize that.]

I don't think there is any agreement that we know the clocks or the memory configuration - we have a single unverified source for that information only AFAIK.

We've got the leaked specs, Faf + IGN so the memory configuration is definitely confirmed for me. The IGN's clock and the leaked specs are also completely identical which confirms it for me.

We've got the leaked specs, Faf + IGN so the memory configuration is definitely confirmed for me. The IGN's clock and the leaked specs are also completely identical which confirms it for me.

OK - that's a bit more corroboration than I realised. And I guess until someone breaks NDA or some brave soul breaks open their Wii, it's probably all we're gonna get :cry:

If Nintendo had the courage of their 'specs don't matter, gameplay does' convictions, they'd tell us what was in the bloody thing...

The IGN's clock and the leaked specs are also completely identical which confirms it for me.

Completely identical with what? They even said recentely that the 64MG are of 1T-Sram they also said (IIRC) that from the 24MG poll and the 64MG poll they have the same BW, which can make one raise some doubt about those specs (this didnt mean that all of this is incorrect, but that cant just be used as a good reference).

They are probably using something like Havok as part of the SDK.

Now that you say this they indeed describe Disaster as having a cunting edge physics system, they could put them on the SDK to make devs life easier, once I really doubt they would pay to have someone else physics engine in the SDK (althought this is a very bad way to describe it IMO).

PS: Sorry the late reply:oops: .

Ign has some new shots of red steel and they are definetly looking good

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Very nice, but scenarios always had looked great (in this shoots I think it is specially the art that it is really great, althought I have no problem with that), what is missing in RS is in the carathers, and something to add more dinamics fxs (eg shadows, more lights, Mario boss like lightning). Lets see how AI (remember the better than Fear comment) and the rest is in the final build.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a Madden preview on IGN, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Its interesting the compare the Wii version of Madden NFL to the XBox version. The Wii version has higher resolution textures and more advanced lighting and shadowing then the XBox version and runs at 60fps (twice the framerate of the XBox version according to reviews I've read).

yep, that difference foremost being in the size of the physical pixel and the distance you observa that from.
Exactly, that's the difference I was alluding to.

sorry, 'forces' you? - how so? apparently the hw supports it, and apparently since there are saves to be made from using it there will be cases when using it can be worthwhile, but how is that 'forcing' anybody into anything?
"Forces" is not the right way to put it, perhaps. Let's try it like this: Releasing hardware which causes developers to even contemplate resorting to 16 bit framebuffers to increase performance or reduce memory consumption (at 480p!) in 2006 seems a bit icky to me.

Let me state again that I'm not one of the people condemning Nintendo for their decisions in any way. It's obvious that they're just doing what is in their own best interest. I also didn't expect any kind of graphics monster at their cost/size/heat restrictions. Still, I believe it is nevertheless fair for any 3D enthusiast to express some disappointment at their lack of regard for everything that happened in the 3D graphics sector in the past 5 years.

theafu said:
Ign has some new shots of red steel and they are definetly looking good
They do look good, but except for the (clearly not "real") image quality, they don't look much better than RE4 does on gamecube. Of course that was a GoTY quality title, so that's by no means bad - but also no reason to believe that Hollywood is anything but a slightly tweaked Flipper. Btw, who doesn't believe that? It seems to me that pretty much everyone agrees except for slight deviations on the extent of those tweaks.

They do look good, but except for the (clearly not "real") image quality, they don't look much better than RE4 does on gamecube.

The colors are richer, the textures are higher-res, a little more gloss, glow, and shine, and there are some nice reflections on the floor. In the latest trailer, you can see what appears to be a very nice bump-mapped reflection on the floor when he encounters the sword-wielding woman. Also, remember that Red Steel is being done on the Unreal Engine 2. I think compared to other UE2 games, especially those on Xbox, Red Steel is looking really good.

By the way, Battalion Wars, Chibi Robo, Fire Emblem, and Jungle Beat are all $15 at Circuit City right now.

"Forces" is not the right way to put it, perhaps. Let's try it like this: Releasing hardware which causes developers to even contemplate resorting to 16 bit framebuffers to increase performance or reduce memory consumption (at 480p!) in 2006 seems a bit icky to me.

ok, that's fair enough. i do have to admit i was a bit semantically picky with your original post. but then again, as long as there's a low-hanging fruit for the grabbing by devs, they just as well might. the only way to guarantee no dithering/stippling would be to make a GPU that cannot do that. and the wii already is restricted in this regard due to its backward compatibily - the cube allowed for this particular tradeoff, and so must the wii.

Let me state again that I'm not one of the people condemning Nintendo for their decisions in any way. It's obvious that they're just doing what is in their own best interest. I also didn't expect any kind of graphics monster at their cost/size/heat restrictions. Still, I believe it is nevertheless fair for any 3D enthusiast to express some disappointment at their lack of regard for everything that happened in the 3D graphics sector in the past 5 years.

i do understand your reasons. i too am not happy when i encounter techniques where such apparent tradeoffs had to be made. but if we look at it from the perspective of 'what else could we have gotten?' aside from an evolved flipper, what else would have met the design requirements of the wii and nintendo's firm stance that they're not playing the 'hw at a discount, sw at a premium' game? you know what i think is the best breakthrough ninty achieved with this generation? - no, it's not the wiimote. it's the radical price drop in the price of devkits ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
The colors are richer, the textures are higher-res, a little more gloss, glow, and shine, and there are some nice reflections on the floor. In the latest trailer, you can see what appears to be a very nice bump-mapped reflection on the floor when he encounters the sword-wielding woman. Also, remember that Red Steel is being done on the Unreal Engine 2. I think compared to other UE2 games, especially those on Xbox, Red Steel is looking really good.

By the way, Battalion Wars, Chibi Robo, Fire Emblem, and Jungle Beat are all $15 at Circuit City right now.

I think UE2 games will look really good on the Wii. It would be an interesting experiment to see devs port a UE3 game to UE2 so that it could be on the Wii. I was thinking about this when looking at Rainbow Six Vegas for the PSP, which looks really good and sports HDR bloom. At first when I saw the screenshots, it looked like it could have been for the Wii due to the solid texture work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back